Interesting Buster Smith Quote

I know this is old news. in terms of importance and influence; however, a lot of revisionist approaches to jazz history have downplayed the reality which the following statement, by BUSTER SMITH in an old Jazz Review interview, reflects (he has been asked about white influence):

"There were three of us - Lester Young, Eddie Barefield, and myself - used to follow a white guy - Frankie Trumbauer. Yeah, we were crazy about him. And we lliked another guy very much, Dick Stabile. They were the ones we listened to, and a little later the boys tore out after Jimmy Dorsey."

Edited by AllenLowe

I know this is old news. in terms of importance and influence; however, a lot of revisionist approaches to jazz history have downplayed the reality which the following statement, by BUSTER SMITH in an old Jazz Review interview, reflects (he has been asked about white influence):

"There were three of us - Lester Young, Eddie Barefield, and myself - used to follow a white guy - Frankie Trumbauer. Yeah, we were crazy about him. And we lliked another guy very much, Dick Stabile. They were the ones we listened to, and a little later the boys tore out after Jimmy Dorsey."

Adds some more veracity to Randy (sorry: 'Randall') Sandke's interesting new book "Where The Dark And The Light Folks Meet".

Those Bix and Tram recording were widely distributed,no?

Besides those recording and others under his own name, he also was on many recordings with Jean Goldkette, and Paul Whiteman.

That may be a reason that so many site him as a influence. His recoding were out there for many to hear. Black or White.

Trumbauer's solos are really things of beauty, and it's easy, in hindsight, to see how any progressive jazz musician would see him as worthy of attention.

While we're on the subject, I've long held the belief that the recording of Crazy Kat from that era inspired the tune Lester Leaps In.

You mean Krazy Kat? Will have to give it a listen later. Or sooner if it's on my ipod.

Trumbauer's solos are really things of beauty, and it's easy, in hindsight, to see how any progressive jazz musician would see him as worthy of attention.

While we're on the subject, I've long held the belief that the recording of Crazy Kat from that era inspired the tune Lester Leaps In.