Tiger's $750M divorce settlement?

(would have posted this in the previous Tiger thread, but it's locked...) I saw a link to this on another forum I visit, and haven't seen it anywhere else yet, so I don't know how credible it is. But if true, this is a massive settlement for Elin!

Tiger Woods is banned from letting girlfriends near his kids in a divorce deal netting his ex a record $750 million settlement, The Sun reported Wednesday.

The golfer agreed to keep single women away from daughter Sam, three, and son Charlie, one.

Full article:

Elin Nordegren Gets $750M, Custody of Kids in Exchange for Silence in Tiger Woods Divorce

Edited by J.A.W.
edited to comply with forum rule 9

Guess that means Tiger's really worth around $1.5 billion.

Stick that $750 mil settlement in a (series of) money market accounts paying between 1.3 and 1.4% interest and that's around $10 million annual income. But a highfalutin money manager ought to be able to squeeze at least twice that much income out of it in virtually risk-free investments, so more like $20 million annual income.

Not too bad.

So he's telling her that her pussy's good enough as part of a buffet, but not $750 mil good enough as an exclusive? And she's telling him that between his dick & his money, his money is better?

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, both, or just continue being incredibly disinterested.

Lacking reason to change course, I won't.

Ah, love.

So he's telling her that her pussy's good enough as part of a buffet, but not $750 mil good enough as an exclusive? And she's telling him that between his dick & his money, his money is better?

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, both, or just continue being incredibly disinterested.

Lacking reason to change course, I won't.

Ah, love.

You'll hate me now but thank me tomorrow -- "disinterested" doesn't mean that you don't care about something (i.e. are "uninterested") but that you are impartial (think "disinterested observer"). For instance, all baseball umpires should be disinterested but not uninterested.

• 2 weeks later...

I thinkthe words are a little more porous than that.

They're more porous because people either don't know that there's difference or don't care that there's a difference. Don't think I'm just being cranky or schoolmarmish about this because, to quote from "Garner's Modern English Usage," "'disinterested' captures a nuance that no other word quite does." Garner adds: "A 'disinterested' observer is not merely 'impartial' but has nothing to gain from taking a stand on the issue in question."

What I especially don't like is the use of "disinterested" where plain old "uninterested" would be right. E.g. "Losing in straight sets, Agassi looked disinterested." In those cases, it usually feels to me like the writer has chosen "disinterested" because he or she thinks it sounds classier, that it's not a matter of writing casually but pretentiously.

I thinkthe words are a little more porous than that.

They're more porous because people either don't know that there's difference or don't care that there's a difference. Don't think I'm just being cranky or schoolmarmish about this because, to quote from "Garner's Modern English Usage," "'disinterested' captures a nuance that no other word quite does." Garner adds: "A 'disinterested' observer is not merely 'impartial' but has nothing to gain from taking a stand on the issue in question."

What I especially don't like is the use of "disinterested" where plain old "uninterested" would be right. E.g. "Losing in straight sets, Agassi looked disinterested." In those cases, it usually feels to me like the writer has chosen "disinterested" because he or she thinks it sounds classier, that it's not a matter of writing casually but pretentiously.

:tup Damn, it's good to read someone for whom the meaning of the words they use is important. To me, being grammatical and using the right word is the equivalent of playing in tune, with good time. Thanks, Larry.

(Now, please take on the task of explaining to people why they're not "nauseous", but "nauseated". It makes me sick...)

A copy editor I used to work with was absolutely evangelical about the difference between "crucial" and "critical." He would get furious if a passage referred to a "critical mistake," or "critical turning point in the game," or something along those lines.

Curiously, the first entry for 'disinterested' in the online Webster's gives the meaning JSngry intended.

1 a : not having the mind or feelings engaged : not interested <telling them in a disinterested voice — Tom Wicker> <disinterested in women — J. A. Brussel> b : no longer interested <husband and wife become disinterested in each other — T. I. Rubin>

But the description below that entry outlines Larry Kart's concerns, and in fact says that the second definition (outlined by Larry) is the one most frequently used today.

None of this is going to help Tiger much though.

Edited by papsrus

The words "gold digger" spring to mind.

Just sayin'.

...and yet, I'll bet it was Tiger who suggested they marry, not Elin. Just sayin'...

I don't think that's why she married him, either. She seems to have far more integrity than he does.

A copy editor I used to work with was absolutely evangelical about the difference between "crucial" and "critical." He would get furious if a passage referred to a "critical mistake," or "critical turning point in the game," or something along those lines.

Curiously, the first entry for 'disinterested' in the online Webster's gives the meaning JSngry intended.

1 a : not having the mind or feelings engaged : not interested <telling them in a disinterested voice — Tom Wicker> <disinterested in women — J. A. Brussel> b : no longer interested <husband and wife become disinterested in each other — T. I. Rubin>

But the description below that entry outlines Larry Kart's concerns, and in fact says that the second definition (outlined by Larry) is the one most frequently used today.

None of this is going to help Tiger much though.

'She was staring up at me. "He's burning up a dictionary?"

'"Right. That's nothing. Once he burned up a cookbook because it said to remove the hide from a ham end before putting it in the pot with lima beans."'

– Archie Goodwin, in Rex Stout's "Gambit," chapter 1, explaining Nero Wolfe's reaction to a dictionary [Webster's Third] that allows the use of "infer" ("to deduce") in place of "imply" ("to hint at, suggest"). The misuse (as with "disinterested" versus "uninterested") often seems to spring from the belief that the two words mean the same thing but that "infer" sounds classier.

Webster's Second, published 1934, stated which usages were "proper" and which were not. Webster's Third (1954, I think) was "descriptive" -- for the most part it took a hands-off approach to usage and/or listed definitions in the [estimated] order of how commonly used they were.

:tup Damn, it's good to read someone for whom the meaning of the words they use is important. To me, being grammatical and using the right word is the equivalent of playing in tune, with good time. Thanks, Larry.

(Now, please take on the task of explaining to people why they're not "nauseous", but "nauseated". It makes me sick...)

I try to keep those straight in my own pea brain by relating "nauseous" to "noxious." You know, something that would make me "nauseated."

It's one of those, whatyacall, pneumatic devices, to help me remember...

Just sayin'.

...and yet, I'll bet it was Tiger who suggested they marry, not Elin. Just sayin'...

Your point?

Two kids and she wants $750 MILLION dollars?

Really...for what, pray tell?

Just sayin'.

I don't think that's why she married him, either. She seems to have far more integrity than he does.

Integrity must be awfully expensive these days.

I try to keep those straight in my own pea brain by relating "nauseous" to "noxious." You know, something that would make me "nauseated."

It's one of those, whatyacall, pneumatic devices, to help me remember...

I think you mean "nomadic" devices, where you wander around the house looking everywhere until you remember where you left it.