My First Recording By ______

Dan Gould

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back one, my first John Lewis: Odds Against Tomorrow with, among others, Joe Wilder, Bernie Glow, Gunther Schuller, Jim Hall and Connie Kay

First John Lewis purchase: Modern Jazz Quartet, Blues on Bach--with Milt Jackson, Percy Heath and Connie Kay.

Edited by kh1958

We're really going back and forth - and all off of what was a "wrong" turn above since Milt and Lucky were co-leaders of Jazz Skyline, not Wendell Marshall. My first Lewis was a used LP, Improvised Meditations and Excursions, with Duvivier or Percy Heath, and Connie Kay.

We're really going back and forth - and all off of what was a "wrong" turn above since Milt and Lucky were co-leaders of Jazz Skyline, not Wendell Marshall. My first Lewis was a used LP, Improvised Meditations and Excursions, with Duvivier or Percy Heath, and Connie Kay.

I ought to have thought that Wendell Marshall (non-leader) thing was fairly obvious.

Did anybody notice that the MJQ territory has been charted at least once before in this thread and that we're back again yet among a handful of "obvious" names?

And where have been all those Tubbs fans who crowd those Tubbs threads when they had a chance to have a say here? ;)

BTW, Dan, if you want to get back on the right track from before that Wendell Marshall "deviation", may I suggest this for further "firsts" starting from the Eddie Costa disc above that included Wendell Marshall?

My first Vinnie Burke leader LP (bought along with the Jubilee trio LP but that's been covered by BillF) was:

Vinnie Burke All Stars - ABC Paramount 139

also feat. Al Cohn, Joe Puma, Jimmy Raney, Urbie Green, Eddie Costa, Joe Morello

And don't nobody tell me there aren't plenty of leaders in this lineup that are worthy of being represented in ANY decent jazz collection. So come on, let's see you aren't all stuck in that hard bop rut, hey? :crazy: :crazy:

The trouble is you can send it one direction (you think) but someone can still easily send it elsewhere when they ignore what you think is the way forward.

Maybe the best thing we can do is end the tyranny of the leader (rule) and allow any date the includes someone who was on the previous date. Then a guy like Hank Jones can send you back in time real easy - if someone goes that way. Or Milt Hinton!

So working off of your Vinnie Burke, my first Al Cohn was Jazz from A to Z with Zoot, Dave McKenna, Hank Jones, Milt Hinton, Ossie Johnson.

The trouble is you can send it one direction (you think) but someone can still easily send it elsewhere when they ignore what you think is the way forward.

I am fully aware of what you say and this is fine with me (keeps up the suspense, you know ;)). I would not even want to wait for "like minds" but would only TRY to give the sequence a push in a "new" direction off certain trodden paths. ;)

My first Urbie Green: on Bethlehem 'Urbie' with Doug Mettome, Al Cohn, Danny Bank, Jimmy Lyon, Oscar Pettiford and Jimmy Campbell. Arrangements by Marion Evans

O.K. since I did not listen my first Al Cohn record yet, here goes:

The Progressive Al Cohn (Savoy SJL 126)

(like mentioned earlier, I explored new (to me) artists often by starting with their early works in order to "ease" my way in, so to speak)

This one has the following sidemen:

George Wallington (p), Tommy Potter (b), Tiny Kahn (dr), Nick Travis (tp), Horave Silver and Max Roach.

Anybody want to go the bebop route (instead of the "obvious" one) from here? ;)

Ray Bryant Alone with the Blues.

:P

Hee hee ... good one. :P

You asked for it, so here is my first (fleamarket) Ray Bryant find of about 25 years ago:

"Madison Time Pt. I + II" (Philips 45 rpm)

feat. (so sez Jepsen) Harry Edison (tp), Urbie Green (tb), Buddy Tate (ts), Tommy Bryant (b), Bill English (dr).

Mainstream jazz, anyone? ;)

My first Sweets:

d84135r81rw.jpg

Didn't even know for a long time after that the original cover was different. A stone cold classic, IMHO.

Hank Jones, Duvivier and Clarence Johnston but hopefully we'll go with some Ben Webster "firsts" and see where that goes.

My one and only Buddy Tate album (which I no longer have) was Buddy Tate Quartet with Clark Terry on Prestige Swingville. Also on the date were Tommy Flanagan, Larry Gales and Art Taylor.

EDIT: Sorry, I was replying to #187. Things are moving too fast for me!

Edited by BillF

Hank Jones, Duvivier and Clarence Johnston but hopefully we'll go with some Ben Webster "firsts" and see where that goes.

Exceedingly pleased to oblige:

"Ben And The Boys" (Jazz Archives JA-35).

For further routes, see here (didn't feel like typing it all):

img-211215r5fck.jpg

Now if that isn't quite a list to choose from... :lol:

Exceedingly pleased to oblige:

"Ben And The Boys" (Jazz Archives JA-35).

For further routes, see here (didn't feel like typing it all):

img-211215r5fck.jpg

Now if that isn't quite a list to choose from... :lol:

51DYNmWudyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

@Dan Gould:

I'd be happy to jump in on that one (being a long-time Red Norvo fan) but Red Norvo was not on the Bill Harris leader date I listed. (He had a leader date of his own on that LP)

Sorry ... ;)

But I'll move on like this:

My first Billy Bauer-led record purchase:

"Billy Bauer - Plectrist" (Verve)

Andrew Ackers (p), Milt Hinton (b), Osie Johnson (dr)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

If the reissue was the source, than the contents of the reissue is fair game. Or, in your previous posting, did Ben play with all of those Boys?

If my post is out of bounds, you can't respond with your own playing off of your own prior post, someone else has to come in with their own valid post. :ph34r:

Edited by Dan Gould

Or, in your previous posting, did Ben play with all of those Boys?

He did. He was featured on all of the tracks. Not the nominal leader on all of them at the time these tracks were recorded but it would be hard to pin down anyway because some were all-star lineups and others were jam session airshots.

Your admonition will be heeded, I promise.

So we will go on from Red Norvo if you want to allow the entire LP contents as a basis - O.K.?

My first one by Red:

"Red Norvo Sextet and Trio - Chamber Jazz" (Vol. 18 from the "Jazz Lab" series by German MCA (mid-70s) with those garish "chemistry lab" covers):

June 23, 1944 session:

Aaron Sachs (cl), Danny Negri (p), Remo Palmieri (g), Clyde Lombardi (b), Eddie Dell (dr)

1952 sessions: Tal Farlow (g), Red Mitchell (b)

1953 sessions: Jimmy Raney (g), Red Mitchell (b)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Or, in your previous posting, did Ben play with all of those Boys?

He did. He was featured on all of the tracks. Not the nominal leader on all of them at the time these tracks were recorded but it would be hard to pin down anyway because some were all-star lineups and others were jam session airshots.

Your admonition will be heeded, I promise.

So we will go on from Red Norvo if you want to allow the entire LP contents as a basis - O.K.?

My first one by Red:

"Red Norvo Sextet and Trio - Chamber Jazz" (Vol. 18 from the "Jazz Lab" series by German MCA (mid-70s) with those garish "chemistry lab" covers):

June 23, 1944 session:

Aaron Sachs (cl), Danny Negri (p), Remo Palmieri (g), Clyde Lombardi (b), Eddie Dell (dr)

1952 sessions: Tal Farlow (g), Red Mitchell (b)

1953 sessions: Jimmy Raney (g), Red Mitchell (b)

51a0i9TSyUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also on these sessions are Gerald Wiggins, Claude Williamson, Ray Brown, Red Mitchell, Monty Budwig, Charles Mingus, Chico Hamilton, Stan Levey, Larance Marable, Bob Enevoldsen, Bill Perkins, Bob Gordon and Red Norvo.