My First Recording By ______

Dan Gould

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Bill Lee album:

s1387982.jpg

with Bill Lee, Lisle Atkinson, Micheal Fleming, Milt Hinton, Richard Davis, Ron Carter, Sam Jones, Harold Mabern, Sonny Brown, and on two cuts, George Coleman.

The album cover states that the album was "Directed by Bill Lee" and that the group is "Performing excerpts from 'Baby Sweets', a narrative folk jazz opera written by Bill Lee and Sonny Brown."

Edited by Hot Ptah

My first Bill Lee album:

s1387982.jpg

with Bill Lee, Lisle Atkinson, Micheal Fleming, Milt Hinton, Richard Davis, Ron Carter, Sam Jones, Harold Mabern, Sonny Brown, and on two cuts, George Coleman.

The album cover states that the album was "Directed by Bill Lee" and that the group is "Performing excerpts from 'Baby Sweets', a narrative folk jazz opera written by Bill Lee and Sonny Brown."

My first George Coleman was Amsterdam After Dark on Timeless vinyl, with Hilton Ruiz, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins

Edited by BillF

511JMAK9T6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My first Sam Jones--The Chant.

SAM JONES-bass (#1-3, 8); cello (other selections)

NAT ADDERLEY-cornet

BLUE MITCHELL-trumpet

MELBA LISTON-trombone

JULIAN "CANNONBALL ADDERLEY- alto saxophone

JIMMY HEATH-tenor saxophone

TATE HOUSTON-baritone saxophone

WYNTON KELLY-piano (#4, 6, 7)

VICTOR FELDMAN-piano (#1-3, 5, 8); vibes (#4-7)

LES SPANN-guitar (#1, 2, 3, 8)

KETER BETTS-bass (#4-7)

LOUIS HAYES-drums

Edited by Hot Ptah

511JMAK9T6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My first Sam Jones--The Chant.

SAM JONES-bass (#1-3, 8); cello (other selections)

NAT ADDERLEY-cornet

BLUE MITCHELL-trumpet

MELBA LISTON-trombone

JULIAN "CANNONBALL ADDERLEY- alto saxophone

JIMMY HEATH-tenor saxophone

TATE HOUSTON-baritone saxophone

WYNTON KELLY-piano (#4, 6, 7)

VICTOR FELDMAN-piano (#1-3, 5, 8); vibes (#4-7)

LES SPANN-guitar (#1, 2, 3, 8)

KETER BETTS-bass (#4-7)

LOUIS HAYES-drums

My first Nat Adderley album:

41RW29M94SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

with Jimmy Heath, Yusef Lateef, Charlie Rouse, Cannonball Adderley, Tate Houston, Wynton Kelly, Jim Hall/Les Spann, Sam Jones and Jimmy Cobb

My first Cannonball Adderley album: Somethin' Else.

somethin-else-cannonball-adderley-cd-cover-art.jpg

In fact, this was in the first batch of acoustic jazz albums I ever bought.

Well, that takes me back to my first Miles Davis album, Miles Davis Blows, a 10" LP on the British Esquire label with Sonny Rollins, Horace Silver, Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke

First Frank Foster:

51R5RXxUkxL._SS500_.jpg

(The CD, which also included George Wallington Showcase)

Here Comes Frank Foster: Benny Powell, Gildo Mahones, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke

George Wallington Showcase: Dave Burns, Jimmy Cleveland, Frank Foster, Danny Bank, Oscar Pettiford, Kenny Clarke

First album with George Wallington on it: 'Bix Duke Fats' - Thomas Talbert with Nick Travis.Joe Wilder, Jimmy Cleveland, Eddie Bert, Aaron Sachs, Oscar Pettiford. Osie Johnson.

My first Nick Travis leader date:

"The Panic Is On" (RCA 3-EP set)

also feat. Al Cohn (ts), Johnny Williams (b), Teddy Kotick (b), Art Mardigan (dr)

My first album on which Al Cohn played and wrote the charts: Miles Davis Plays Al Cohn Compositions:

with Sonny Truitt, trombone, Al , Zoot Sims, John Lewis, Leonard Gaskin, bass and Kenny Clarke

c52303rb542.jpg

with Nick Travis, Horace Silver, Curley Russell, Max Roach, George Wallington, Tommy Potter and Tiny Kahn

c52303rb542.jpg

with Nick Travis, Horace Silver, Curley Russell, Max Roach, George Wallington, Tommy Potter and Tiny Kahn

See my post #184 in this thread (same music, just different pressing), but never mind ... :D

Is it OK if I use TINY KAHN as an arranger to go on by stating this:

My first Tiny Kahn feature:

Elliott Lawrence Plays Tiny Kahn and Johnny Mandel arrangements (Fantasy/Vogue)

See here:

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/October%201958/105/793952/Elliot+Lawrence+Band++Plays+Tiny+Kahn+and+Johnny+Mandel+Arrangements+TNT+%3A+Blue+Room+%3A+Who+Fard+That+Shot++%3A+My+Heart+Stood+Still+%3A+Jeepers+Creepers+%3A+Tinys+Bow+MusicYou+Took+Advantage+Of+Me+%3A+Taking+A+Chance+On+Love+%3A+Tapeworm+%3A+A+Foggy+Day+%3A+Is+That+A+Fact++%3A+They+Cant+Take+That+Away+From+Me+%3A+Johnnys+Bow+Music.

If arrangers don't qualify then please go on with Al Cohn, everybody (he'd be on that Elliott Lawrence LP anyway so you might as well go back to him from there if you want to). ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

c52303rb542.jpg

See my post #184 in this thread (same music, just different pressing), but never mind ... :D

Is it OK if I use TINY KAHN as an arranger to go on by stating this:

My first Tiny Kahn feature:

Elliott Lawrence Plays Tiny Kahn and Johnny Mandel arrangements (Fantasy/Vogue)

See here:

http://www.gramophone.net/Issue/Page/October%201958/105/793952/Elliot+Lawrence+Band++Plays+Tiny+Kahn+and+Johnny+Mandel+Arrangements+TNT+%3A+Blue+Room+%3A+Who+Fard+That+Shot++%3A+My+Heart+Stood+Still+%3A+Jeepers+Creepers+%3A+Tinys+Bow+MusicYou+Took+Advantage+Of+Me+%3A+Taking+A+Chance+On+Love+%3A+Tapeworm+%3A+A+Foggy+Day+%3A+Is+That+A+Fact++%3A+They+Cant+Take+That+Away+From+Me+%3A+Johnnys+Bow+Music.

f31380g9eqg.jpg

with Bernie Glow, Stan Fishelson, Al Derisi, Nick Travis, Dick Sherman, Eddie Bert, Ollie Wilson, Paul Seldon, Al Robertson, Freddy Schmidt, Tony Miranda, Al Cohn, Hal McKusick, Sam Marowitz, Eddie Wasserman, Charlie O'Kane, Buddy Jones, Russ Saunders and Don Lamond