My First Recording By ______

Dan Gould

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Omar Simeon LP:

Sidney Bechet/Omar Simeon--Jazz a la Creole (Jazztone): Two separate sessions on one LP--

Omer Simeon with Sammy Price and Zutty Singleton.

Sidney Bechet is with Lil Armstrong.

Edited by kh1958

First Omar Simeon LP:

Sidney Bechet/Omar Simeon--Jazz a la Creole (Jazztone): Two separate sessions on one LP--

Omer Simeon with Sammy Price and Zutty Singleton.

Sidney Bechet is with Lil Armstrong.

My first Lil Armstrong leader compilation:

"Born To Swing 1936-37" (Harlequin HQ 2069)

lineup including Joe Thomas, Shirley Clay (tp), Buster Bailey (cl), Chu Berry, Robert Carroll, Prince Robinson (ts), James Sherman, Teddy Cole (p), Arnold Adams, Huey Long (g), Wellman Braud, John Frazier (b), Manzie Johnson (dr).

My first Sammy Price: Rib Joint on Savoy.

For our purposes, with Kenny Burrell and King Curtis.

No way!

Please do not forget King Curtis, Mickey Baker, Haywood Henry, Al Casey and Panama Francis.

For "our" purposes they do have just a much leader credentials, you know ... (isn't jazz a wide field that goes waaaay beyond hard bop? :D)

so we're headed in a three-way direction now? :excited:

The plight of having to look up and write down lineups, you know ...

OK, will contionue with your Lucky Thompson selction, then:

My first came from a slightly differnt session of the same period:

"Paris 1956 with the Dave Pochonet All Stars" (first relased on the CfD label - Club Francais du Disque):

also feat. Charles & Fernand Verstraete, Jo & Marcel Hrasko, Chiel de Villers, Martial Solal, Henri Renaud, Jean-Pierre Sasson, Benoit Quersin, Dave Pochonet.

My Sammy Price is a valid continuation of his Sammy Price/Lucky Thompson.

We're supposed to be working off of my post but since asserting any control here is akin to herding cats, carry on in whatever direction you choose.

We're supposed to be working off of my post but since asserting any control here is akin to herding cats, carry on in whatever direction you choose.

In case you're referring to my post above, what I did was give the other sidemen with leader records of their own (to the best of my knowledge) that also appeared on that "Rib Joint" Savoy twofer.

Who says only hard bop leaders will provide a chance to carry on the game? ;) Hence my post above.

That said, of course is your Sammy Price record valid.

As for the rest, you are right, but what can you do if several forumists post at the same moment and it DOES take more than one minute to write and send off a post if a lengthy list of musicians' names has to be typed? (I must have typed my Lil Armstrong leader post while you and King Ubu typed yours - how is anybody to know?)

As for my Lucky Thompson statement, this was tongue in cheek towards King Ubu's puzzled question. Feel free to ignore it.

Any of the Sammy Price listings then to move on - fair game?

(I'll be out in this case as my first Sammy Price disc has already been named)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Things are getting a bit confusing, but as Lucky Thompson is the last named musician, let's continue with Lucky Thompson Featuring Oscar Pettiford (Jasmine) with Jim Whatsmyname (!) (trombone) (= Jimmy Cleveland, I think), Hank Jones, Skeeter Best and Osie Johnson.

OK, so your first album by Jim Whatsmyname :lol:

chambe_joe%7E_doubleexp_101b.jpg

My first Joe Chambers album, which features two musicians, Joe Chambers and Larry Young.

chambers_almoravid.jpg

Joe Chambers, drums

Cedar Walton, piano, elp

Richard Davis, el bs

Omar Clay, David Friedman, Doug Hawthorne, marimba, perc

Ray Mantilla, congas, perc

on 1, 3, 4, 6 (recorded 1971, 1973)

Joe Chambers, drums

Woody Shaw, tp

Garnett Brown, tb

Harold Vick, fl, ts

George Cables, el p