Andrew Hill solo select question

I ordered the Andrew Hill solo select set when Mosaic offered free shipping. I just finished going through it a couple of times - it's some really beautiful, peaceful music, and thinking about the stress Andrew was going through at the time knowing his wife was dying makes these performances all the more poignant.

I have a couple of questions:

1) On the master take of 'California Tinge' (disc 2 #1) I hear a couple of squeaking/chirping sounds somewhere between 2:00 and 2:30 which could well be coming from the piano but sound a bit odd. Did anyone else notice this? I am hoping it is not a defect in the CD.

2) I noticed that some tunes are variations on each other but this is not mentioned in the notes. I believe 'California Tinge' and 'Reverend DuBop' are pretty much the same piece, and the last two tracks about Pittsburg, CA are essentially the same composition. Anyone else agree?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

2) I noticed that some tunes are variations on each other but this is not mentioned in the notes. I believe 'California Tinge' and 'Reverend DuBop' are pretty much the same piece, and the last two tracks about Pittsburg, CA are essentially the same composition. Anyone else agree?

I have heard this but don't own it so my recollections may be flawed, but yes I noted that material was repeated and wondered whether the desire was to avoid the set looking like long alt. takes so this wasn't mentioned and different titles were chosen to obscure the overlap and emphasise the differences. That's what I remember thinking but don't quote me.