World Cup 2010

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read anything about the prize money. These guys are getting paid, right?

What are the winners' and losers' shares of today's match?

The winning team will get $31 million in prize money.

Each team will receive $1 million for preparation costs. The winner will get an additional $30 million, the runner-up $24 million, semifinal losers $20 million, quarterfinal losers $18 million, second-round losers $9 million and first-round losers $8 million.

More here :huh:

A final WC 2010 post from me: I didn't see the final, and I just heard that Spain won 1-0 after extra time and that the only things the Dutch team won were yellow and red cards. Shame on them and many congratulations to Spain, they had the best team.

I hope the Dutch team will now return to the kind of football they played in the 1974, 1978, 1988 (Euro 88) and 1998 tournaments, which I loved them for.

Quality-wise this has been a very disappointing World Cup.

I listened to quite a number of the games, and I think that my appetite for soccer is sated for the next four years.

Ted Williams used to say that the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball, but this tournament has me thinking that it may be hitting a soccer ball. There were a high percentage of shots on goal that went wide of the net. Considering that these are supposed to be the best players in the world, they didn't look very good to me.

However, I was very impressed today by a few guys who were able to dribble the ball very well. Too bad more players don't have that ability.

I haven't read anything about the prize money. These guys are getting paid, right?

What are the winners' and losers' shares of today's match?

The winning team will get $31 million in prize money.

Each team will receive $1 million for preparation costs. The winner will get an additional $30 million, the runner-up $24 million, semifinal losers $20 million, quarterfinal losers $18 million, second-round losers $9 million and first-round losers $8 million.

More here :huh:

Thanks, Cyril, but that article doesn't tell us how much each player will get. Can each Spaniard count on receiving a millions dollars?

Amen to that. Both the teams had myriad chances but not one guy who could finish. Alexi Lalas said this game was like putting lipstick on a pig. That's a pretty accurate description. Nonetheless, congrats to the Spanish side. Ugly or not, a World Cup is still a World Cup.

Amen to that. Both the teams had myriad chances but not one guy who could finish. Alexi Lalas said this game was like putting lipstick on a pig. That's a pretty accurate description. Nonetheless, congrats to the Spanish side. Ugly or not, a World Cup is still a World Cup.

I was referring to the whole tournament :) There were only a few teams that played attractive football, though not always.

Holland has only themselves to blame. Spain certainly had a few questionable moments themselves in terms of fair play, but it was just astounding to see Holland picking up that many unnecessary yellow cards. Not only that, but De Jong deserved a straight red for his karate kick on Xabi Alonso. Disgusting, especially for U.S. fans who haven't forgotten De Jong breaking Stuart Holden's leg in a friendly this Spring.

Too bad that both teams had so much trouble finishing their chances. It would have made for a more entertaining match if each had put one or two away. Still, the deserving team won, and there was just enough drama to make it entertaining for me.

What a boring final... there ought to be a rule to make some more fun team the world champion... after the boring seems to me none of the four teams that made the semi-finals actually deserved to win... I guess I'd give the title to Ghana, but of course it's not my choice :rolleyes:

The real winner:

octopusspain415.jpg

Paul picked the winners of all the matches he was asked to predict :tup :tup

Spain was the best team and deserved its victory!

The final match was too tense and did not produce great soccer but that's just the way most WC finals go!

Viva Espana!

My lunch today:

126.jpg

Uruguay's striker Diego Furlan was named best player of the World Cup!

A well deserved award for the Atlético Madrid player.

Forlan took 23.4 per cent in the "Golden Ball" poll organised by FIFA and voted for by journalists. Dutch playmaker Wesley Sneijder was second with 21.8 per cent and Spain's David Villa third on 16.9 per cent.

Since EKEBBB seems to be away (are we the only two Spaniards here?) thanks everyone for the good wishes. I'm not too partisan re: football, and I liked Spain two years ago better, but Torres wasn't fit to play (and Cesc has had a poor season too).

As for the final, I had the impression that the reasoning was: "the Germans played a clean game, they lost, we should play dirty". The Spanish side did its share of kicking, but really, what's with De Jong?

What I liked best is that these guys play very good football (how many people do you need to steal a ball from Iniesta?) and they seem to be a bunch of thoroughly decent guys.

I'm not sure about the poor balance of the World Cup overall. There were some good moments, maybe that they came from unlikely teams.

F

PS There was quite a party in Trafalgar Square last night :rolleyes: .

Since EKEBBB seems to be away (are we the only two Spaniards here?) thanks everyone for the good wishes. I'm not too partisan re: football, and I liked Spain two years ago better, but Torres wasn't fit to play (and Cesc has had a poor season too).

As for the final, I had the impression that the reasoning was: "the Germans played a clean game, they lost, we should play dirty". The Spanish side did its share of kicking, but really, what's with De Jong?

What I liked best is that these guys play very good football (how many people do you need to steal a ball from Iniesta?) and they seem to be a bunch of thoroughly decent guys.

I'm not sure about the poor balance of the World Cup overall. There were some good moments, maybe that they came from unlikely teams.

F

PS There was quite a party in Trafalgar Square last night rolleyes.gif .

No, you are not the only one, at least not in spirit :) I lived in Spain during the latter part of the 1960s and early 1970s and Spain is my team.

The suffering is over!

I have been away but the Dutch decided that couldn't play with Spain (although they have some gifted players) and decided they would do whatever they could, by hook or by crook (mostly crook it seems) to disrupt the Spanish. What they did was not much different than they did against Brasil and should have been expected. However, in the end, we had the right result so that is all that matters although it was not a match worthy of a final.