The MJQ on Apple records

Hardbopjazz

Interesting to see a mention of 'Supervisor' Peter Asher in that previous thread - his redhead sister Jane Asher was of course McCartney's ex and is still high profile in the UK media with her cookery etc. and still looks damn great !

Edited by sidewinder

Will check the LP when I get home to confirm, but I have no awareness of any performers on the album besides the MJQ themselves.

Don't know if Patrick Moore has any currency in the States - but he was an institution on UK TV for decades from the 60s doing a late night popular astronomy programme called 'The Sky at Night'. He also regularly appeared in specials surrounding the Apollo missions and the like; a sort of first call dial-a-popular astronomer. A grade 1 English eccentric, like something out of P.G. Woodhouse.

Can't imagine him on an MJQ record - he would simply fill the frame (in more ways than one!).

I don't know the name myself, but I'm not exactly an "astronomy buff" by any stretch of the imagination... It'll be interesting to see what he's credited for on this album!

You didn't need to be a buff - this chap was a major celebrity over here, appearing on chat shows and the like. Much like cooks, gardeners and fashion gurus become media TV stars.

Made star-gazing quite mainstream for a time!

A grade 1 English eccentric, like something out of P.G. Woodhouse.

Geez, Bev... You're in the UK. Isn't it "Wodehouse"? :unsure: (Like Home is Hume?)(Or is it Hume is Home?)

You are, of course, right! I was clearly confusing him with the dog trainer!

Not read him in many a year. Actually thinking of giving him another go - I recall laughing myself daft when I was about 15.

A grade 1 English eccentric, like something out of P.G. Woodhouse.

Geez, Bev... You're in the UK. Isn't it "Wodehouse"? :unsure: (Like Home is Hume?)(Or is it Hume is Home?)

You are, of course, right! I was clearly confusing him with the dog trainer!

Not read him in many a year. Actually thinking of giving him another go - I recall laughing myself daft when I was about 15.

Silly mad, VS barking mad. I understand.

Surely among the bestand most delightful characters of 20th Century literature are Wodehouse's Jeeves/Wooster, and I think the best Wooster was Hugh Laurie. Interesting that he's the Ultimate Twit (add in his Blackadder work) -- but in the USA and further, now the acerbic and cynical egoist House, MD. Laurie must have some kinda talent, eh?

Too bad his musical talent (and he has it) is more towards rock...

• 2 weeks later...

Hugh Laurie is certainly an excellent Bertie Wooster (Steven Fry being a great Jeeves too), but there was an excellent early 60s version, in which Ian Carmichael was also superb as Bertie, Dennis Price doing a fine job as Jeeves. I Googled these earlier versions recently, and read that no copies of any of those episodes still exist.

Wodehouse's Blandings Castle books are also superb. There are about 15 of them. My Dad put me onto them when I was about 15, and I read the lot. For those who don't know this series, the principal scene is a large country home inhabited by the dopey Earl of Emsworth, his imperious sister, Lady Constance, and his brother, The Hon Galahad Threepwood, together with servants (butler etc.) and the Earl's prize sow, The Empress of Blandings. There are various younger members of the family, with the usual romantic entanglements. Classic Wodehouse.