Happy Birthday, Larry Kart!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

cover.jpg

Thanks all. It's been a good day so far, and my wife is going to make one of her fabulous chocolate cakes.

Kert's was a rather sad story. 'According to Arthur Laurents, who wrote the book for West Side Story, Kert was "a California extrovert, laughing, bubbling, deadly funny, and openly gay." Director-choreographer Jerome Robbins frequently clashed with Kert, publicly chastising him for being a "faggot," despite the fact that Robbins himself ... and most of the creative team was gay.'

He and his older sister Anita Ellis, a talented pop-jazz singer, were natives of Montreal. Their parents were Orthodox Jews. A million stories in the naked city.

Hey Larry, I was looking for another goofy photo to hopefully tickle your funny bone, and came acroos this Google Image:

daostrom_apacompass_kboo.jpg

The link http://numerocinqmagazine.com/2015/02/10/the-mother-of-all-coincidences-or-why-i-am-never-bored/is dead now, but the there is this excerpt on the Google Image search page:

Okay, here's a coincidence that bears telling you all about. Long years ago when I still reviewed books (lots of books), I worked freelance for Larry Kart, ...

Looks like it's gonna be a happy story...any idea who/what/etc?

Hey Larry, I was looking for another goofy photo to hopefully tickle your funny bone, and came acroos this Google Image:

daostrom_apacompass_kboo.jpg

The link http://numerocinqmagazine.com/2015/02/10/the-mother-of-all-coincidences-or-why-i-am-never-bored/is dead now, but the there is this excerpt on the Google Image search page:

Okay, here's a coincidence that bears telling you all about. Long years ago when I still reviewed books (lots of books), I worked freelance for Larry Kart, ...

Looks like it's gonna be a happy story...any idea who/what/etc?

No idea who she is, and surely if we had met I would have remembered her.

That link appears active for me. That is Dao Strom, a winner of the Nelson Algren Short Story Award. The writer of the article is the one who claims to have worked for Larry, and was one of the judges who awarded Dao Strom the prize. As far as I can tell the writer of the article is only referred to as "d g". . . . I think it's Douglas Glover.

Glad to hear it was a great B-day for you, Larry. And may there be many more! :)

BTW, not to bring things down, but what ever became of that psycho who was threatening you last year? Did that ever get ironed out?

Nothing more heard from or about that psycho or pseudo-psycho, thanks be.

That link appears active for me. That is Dao Strom, a winner of the Nelson Algren Short Story Award. The writer of the article is the one who claims to have worked for Larry, and was one of the judges who awarded Dao Strom the prize. As far as I can tell the writer of the article is only referred to as "d g". . . . I think it's Douglas Glover.

Right! I remember him. Fine writer, nice guy. Thanks for the good detective work.

Anita Ellis (Larry Kert’s older sister) — The way she handles sustained notes is something else. Ellis (a la Marni Nixon later on) did a good deal of dubbing for movie stars whose voices were felt to be not up to snuff. Most notably, in Rita Hayworth's "Put the Blame on Mame" number in "Gilda," that's Ellis' voice. In some ways such "ghost" roles may have suited Ellis; she suffered from paralyzing stage fright.