Tenor Conclave- is prestige 7249 the 1st stereo issue

...beacuse PR 7074 is mono, and yea well this is the 60s blue trident label record, and its just engraved with 7249 and its not rvg stamped

the 2nd issue also takes away all the solo-order info, (isnt that on the orig?)- can any one paste that here?

This session was not recorded in stereo. If 7249 claims to be stereo, it is rechanneled (phony). Many of the classic 1950's Prestige sessions were issued in rechanneled stereo in the late 1960's.

As for the solo order, I currently have the session as part of the 16-disc Coltrane Prestige box, on which two of the titles from this date are reversed. Without listening, I can't tell you if Carl Woideck's liner notes follow the right order or the wrong one! I've always enjoyed trying to go blindfold with this date, anyway. Picking out Trane and Hank should be pretty easy, but separating Zoot and Al can be more challenging.

Prestige 7249 was the "electronically rechanneled for stereo" (= fake stereo) reissue of Prestige 7074. This session was recorded in mono and thus never issued in "true" stereo. The 7249 reissue dates from the early 1960s - I think it was 1962.

how bad is it i wonder, if i use the mono button i wonder if i can bring some sanity to it-- i certainly will save 100 dollars!!

Using the mono button won't undo the bad effects of fake stereo.

There are different methods of rechanneling - some more insidious than others. Prestige EQ'ed the sound so that the highs are in one channel, the lows in the other. Hitting the mono button will restore the signal to mono, which makes it more listenable, but there will be some loss. However, other methods (not employed by Prestige or Blue Note) involve adding reverb or delay to one channel - this really alters the sound significantly, and hitting the mono button doesn't help - it still sounds like shit, perhaps even worse! Major labels like RCA, Capitol, and Columbia often employed this method, and those records should be avoided!