Categorizing Your Music Collection...

street singer

On a related topic, just how do you store your CDs? I've got an entire wall devoted to wood CD racks, not all the same type, plus a home-made monster to pick up the slack, plus a bookcase devoted to my Mosaics and other box sets. It ain't real purdy, but it's accessible. Anyone have any slick built-in or home-made storage facilities? Since we are now in our own house, I home to someday build a nice-looking permanent storage area. I started with LPs, then went to cassettes and now have re-bought much of my collection on CD. If there's another format change, screw it. I'm done. <_<

I knew someone once who did them by record label and in catalog # order!

Reminds me of a One Stop where I worked briefly over 30 years ago (CDs weren't invented yet). Everyone who worked there had an encyclopedic knowledge of LP catalogs.

For my own collection of CDs and LPs, I favor a mostly alphabetical arrangement by artist or composer and chronologically within that. I could use the Dewey decimal system, go by color, or do as they did at that record distributor long ago, but the recordings would be much more difficult for me and my wife to access... ;)

LPs: In bedroom in milk crates, rock in bottom row, jazz & progrock in top row.

In the unit that holds my TV are the post 18th century "classical".

CDs: rock & prog rock in bookshelves, cd shelves hold Harold Budd, Bill Laswell (he gets one shelf!), Fripp, Eno, Jon Hassell, Bjork, the FAX collection, 1990's ambient and music from Tibet, Asia, SE Asia, Middle East and N. Africa.

Miles gets a row on top of my dresser above the Axiom collection, Trane gets a row on top of the book shelves in the hallway with Alice. In the bookshelves in the hallway: first shelf holds Derek Bailey, Anthony Braxton, Capt. Beefheart and Ornette collections, the rest of these shelves hold the 20th Cen. Classical with the bottom shelf full of Zappa.

There are four small plastic filling cabs: one is full of Hindustani classical music, one of Jazz, one has the Metheny collection sharing a drawer with S. Indian classical and Asian pop music. The last one is full of various types of experimental and/or microtonal music.

There are a few boxes of cds floating around my office/living room/music studio of the:

Ralph Towner

John Abercrombie

Sun Ra

Wayne Shorter

Bill Frisell

Terje Rypdal

Tisziji Muñoz

Blues and

current hard rock listening collections.

Near my computer is a lot of STUFF that isn't filed or can't be because I don't have anyplace to it!

Uh...yeah...I am single, how'd ya know? :wacko:

Edited by 7/4

Uh...yeah...I am single, how'd ya know? :wacko:

Which reminds me, for those of you who aren't single, how does your spouse file their CDs? Does it make ANY sense to you at all? I swear, my wife "liberated" my Jackie Wilson and Hollies CDs because she couldn't find them in my carefully, alphabetical arrangement. I'll never see them again, because now they are filed by her system, which apparently involves phases of the moon and sleeve color... :wacko:

Uh...yeah...I am single, how'd ya know?  :wacko:

Which reminds me, for those of you who aren't single, how does your spouse file their CDs? Does it make ANY sense to you at all? I swear, my wife "liberated" my Jackie Wilson and Hollies CDs because she couldn't find them in my carefully, alphabetical arrangement. I'll never see them again, because now they are filed by her system, which apparently involves phases of the moon and sleeve color... :wacko:

I know what you're describing. One long time female friend also has problems getting the CD back in to it's jewel case and she does, it's probbably not the right one. :rolleyes:

I keep all mine (I only have around 750) in two discsox chests... all alphabetical by artist and alphabetical by title within each artist. I just use whatever artist strikes me as being top-billed or more important if they are both listed in the title-- so Mulligan Meets Monk goes under Monk, everything with Coltrane in the title goes to Coltrane, etc...

My only categories are Jazz/Blues, Soundtracks, Miscellany (things like Jazz Improv and other magazine discs, burned compilations, etc). Oh, and I have a bootleg section for live recordings and other somewhat "legitimate" bootlegs, as oxymoronic as that might sound.