Frank Minion

epistrophy007

I'm a big fan of vocalese jazz and this man, Frank Minion, seems one of the forgotten artists in this tradition.

Probably few people are aware that the lyrics of the wellknown versions of 'Night in Tunesia' and 'Take the A Train' by Eddie Jefferson and more recent Giacomo Gates, are from the hand of Minion.

Minion's second album 'The Soft Land of Makebelieve' has been almost always available through Japanese import. But what about his debut lp 'The Forward Sound'? Does someone know it? Or has an idea of who the supporting musicians are?

On the 'Soft Land...' he's sympatically acompanied by Bill Evans, Tommy Flanagan, Roland Alexander, Jimmy Jones,...

j.

Never saw (or heard) that 'Forward Sound' Bethlehem!

Discovered Minion when 'The Soft Land of Make Believe' was reissued in Japan by Trio Records in the '80s.

Complete title of the album was 'The Soft Land of Make Believe (Introduction to black opium street)'!

That's the full title on the back cover!

Edited by brownie

Mmmmmm thought someone would know it...shoot...

The copy's of 'The Forward Sound' that are sometimes on ebay are the 80s lp reissues of Fresh Sound. Never saw an original copy of it...

It seems that the lp reissues that Fresh Sound made in the 80s never were available as cd on that label (like 'Detour to the Moon' Mary Ann McCall, 'Lonely One' Pinky Winters, 'Jackie Paris',... and many other rarities)

Thank's for the reply anyway!

j.

• 4 years later...

Currently listening to the two recent Frank Minion Bethlehem (Japanese Solid) reissues - mighty impressive - really digging him

what a vocalese discovery for me

Any other takers out there?

Also going through a Bethlehem vocal binge - more obscure favourites are Terry Morel, Audrey Morris, Sallie Blair, Marilyn Moore (recorded very little material)

I am a fan of the two Minions on Bethlehem, as well as Sallie Blair, Teal Joy, etc. Special sort of presentation and "feel" on these lps. . . cheezy but cool too.

I'm surprised this material wasn't picked up by the "Lounge Core" scene of the 80's/90's (Martin Denny, Melachrino, Esquivel etc etc)

Maybe they just weren't available at the time (as CD reissues)

• 2 weeks later...

I am a fan of the two Minions on Bethlehem ...... Special sort of presentation and "feel" on these lps. . . cheezy but cool too.

Another fan of the two Frank Minions here.

These seem to be the only two recordings he made. Anyone know what happened to him?

Edited by Head Man