McNabb Traded

The Eagles have agreed to trade Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins for draft picks. Philadelphia will get the 'Skins 37th pick this year and conditional 3rd or 4th round pick in 2011. Frankly, I'm surprised they dealt McNabb within their own division. That means they have to face him twice every year. Should be interesting the first time Washington comes to Philly. The pressure now shifts to Kevin Kolb. I think he'll be fine. Plus, all the picks the Eagles now have might allow them to trade up in this year's draft and shore up their defensive secondary.

Edited by Dave James

Actually, I think they have learned. This means they'll draft Okung with their first pick, and rebuild the offensive line, which is crucial. I'm already happy with their loading up the RB position, forcing Portis to actually have to work for his starting position for a change. A good move. I don't know what Philly was thinking.

Stupid, stupid move by the Iggles. They traded not only the best Eagles QB of all time but they traded their best player of all time. And to a division rival?? WTF were they thinking?? Now that McNabb is playing for a coach who realizes you need to have a balanced attack on offense(no more 70% passing plays per game) and knows how to manage the clock it will be really interesting to see how far McNabb goes. Not sold on Kolb. He doesn't have a NFL physique or arm.

I would be ecstatic if I were a Redskins fan. Hell I used to be one back in the 70's through the early 80's. It might be time to rejoin the tribe. Now you have a legit QB for the first time in YEARS. Contrary to popular opinion DMac still has plenty left in the tank. Consider: He threw for 4800 yards in 2008 and 3500 yards last season while missing 3 games. His interception rate is among the lowest in the NFL - lower than Brady's or Payton's. And all it cost was a 2nd round pick this year and 3rd or 4th rounder next. Shanahan must be doubled over in laughter right now.

Can you imagine what will happen if McNabb leads the Skins to a SB in the next 2 to 3 years?? Philadelphia will implode. The city will cease to exist. You won't be able to find it even w/ a GPS.

Stupid, stupid move by the Iggles. They traded not only the best Eagles QB of all time but they traded their best player of all time. And to a division rival?? WTF were they thinking?? Now that McNabb is playing for a coach who realizes you need to have a balanced attack on offense(no more 70% passing plays per game) and knows how to manage the clock it will be really interesting to see how far McNabb goes. Not sold on Kolb. He doesn't have a NFL physique or arm.

I would be ecstatic if I were a Redskins fan. Hell I used to be one back in the 70's through the early 80's. It might be time to rejoin the tribe. Now you have a legit QB for the first time in YEARS. Contrary to popular opinion DMac still has plenty left in the tank. Consider: He threw for 4800 yards in 2008 and 3500 yards last season while missing 3 games. His interception rate is among the lowest in the NFL - lower than Brady's or Payton's. And all it cost was a 2nd round pick this year and 3rd or 4th rounder next. Shanahan must be doubled over in laughter right now.

Can you imagine what will happen if McNabb leads the Skins to a SB in the next 2 to 3 years?? Philadelphia will implode. The city will cease to exist. You won't be able to find it even w/ a GPS.

Agreed- bad move....how about you look at the dumb-ass play calling. I hope McNabb torches the Eagles.

Stupid, stupid move by the Iggles. They traded not only the best Eagles QB of all time but they traded their best player of all time. And to a division rival?? WTF were they thinking??

Totally agree. Unless those draft picks yield some superstars for the Eagles (unlikely), this could go down as one of the dumbest trades in sports history. Incomprehensible.

Edited to add - My initial reaction was -- to a team IN THEIR OWN DIVISION???!!! I know full well that the Eagles and Redskins are in the same division, but no kidding, I had to check just to make sure it was so.

Edited by John Tapscott

I'm not one who believes that trading McNabb was the wrong thing to do. Not at this point. Most Philadelphia fans had tired of his act and were ready to see him go. I certainly won't miss watching him short arm another ball at the feet of an open receiver or his shit eating "it's on me" grin when he screwed up. What I don't understand is the process. More than a few people believe the the Eagles overplayed their hand. By that, I mean they kept thinking they could do better and when the offers got worse, they were forced to take what they could get. I'm also aware that the team wanted to provide McNabb with as soft a landing as possible, meaning that trading him to a perennial loser like an Oakland or a Buffalo wasn't in the cards. Maybe that comes back to haunt them, maybe it doesn't. Only time will tell. One thing for sure, I would not want to be Kevin Kolb if things get off to a rocky start next year. All those fans who ran McNabb out of Dodge will be merciless. Not to mention that how this plays out will have more than a small impact on Andy Reid's future with the team. Last but not least, let's not forget the last time the Eagles traded a quarterback within their division. Does the name Sonny Jurgensen ring any bells?

Edited by Dave James

I'm a huge Iggles fan, as well, and I kinda like the trade. Let's face it, the Eagles are going nowhere for a couple of years. The Cowboys are MUCH better (as are the Saints and Vikings). The upcoming season was Donavan's last on his current contract. If they had kept him and not extended his contract, the 2010-11 season would have been a complete circus. This way, they get some nice return without having to shell out the big bucks it would have required to keep McNabb and win nothing. The Eagles front office is a shrewd bunch. They know what they are doing. The Redskins, on the other hand, have demonstrated complete incompetence when it comes to roster moves. They are always trying to buy championships with big free agent signings and never get anywhere. Let's wait and see.

I liked this bit from over at The Huffington Post:

"Shanahan can only hope the 33-year-old McNabb works out as well as the last big-time Washington-Philadelphia quarterback deal. The Eagles in 1964 sent Sonny Jurgensen to the Redskins, where he played 11 seasons until he was 40 and became a Hall of Famer.

"These people never learn," Jurgensen told the Redskins' Web site when informed of the trade Sunday night. :lol:

No question that the talented Shanahan was able to -- as we Wash Caps fans would say -- 'unleash the fury' with an older Elway who had been constricted in many ways. Is there anything to actually unleash with McNabb? Guess we'll find out.

Trading McNabb to a division opponent could haunt Philadelphia for years, and fans already are questioning the decision.

"We thought this was the best for Donovan and the compensation was right," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "We surely took into consideration Donovan's feelings."

Um, yeah....pondered that for all of 1.2 seconds did ya?

Sorry but I need to hijack this thread...

Romo should stick to placeholding for extra points or boinking Jessica Simpson. Oh, snap. He can't do those either. Also, given that he's rarely seen in public these days without that stupid newsboy cap, I can only assume that he's (as Elaine Benes would say) balding.

Some speculation at ESPN involving the possibility of Terrell Owens signing with the Redskins and rejoining Donovan McNabb. Wouldn't that be interesting. They're god friends you know, at least according to T.O.

I could see T.O. drumming up those rumors, since he's teamless, and not likely to get any further big paychecks. And I could see Dan Snyder falling for it. I hope Shanahan overrules Snyder's thinking, for the Redskins' sake.