2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Rays are behind the 8 ball allready huh.gif

The pitching is one thing. They seem to get shaken up pretty easily. Didn't care much for Shields stomping around in the dugout over a non-called strike after he was pulled.

But their offense just isn't getting it done, and hasn't for some time now. Crawling back from a 6-run deficit is going to be near impossible.

Thanks Q.

Just watched the replay of the Michael Young check swing from this afternoon. The Rays got robbed. He definitely went. The 1st base ump blew that call.

I feel bad for the Rays--a couple of questionable calls for them in the first two games. I sure didn't expect Texas to take both games from them on the road; didn't expect the Yankees to do it against the Twins, either. The best thing about tonight's game was Andy Pettitte's return to form. After the first two innings, which seemed similar to his previous struggles since coming back from the DL, he seemed to pitch like Andy Pettitte again. If he's finally back on his game, that would obviously be a very good thing for NY. Great 8th inning from Kerry Wood as well, and Curtis Granderson continues his new-and-dangerously-improved ways at the plate.

I still think Philadelphia takes it all, no matter who lands in the WS on the AL side of things.

Thanks Q.

Just watched the replay of the Michael Young check swing from this afternoon. The Rays got robbed. He definitely went. The 1st base ump blew that call.

I feel bad for the Rays--a couple of questionable calls for them in the first two games. I sure didn't expect Texas to take both games from them on the road; didn't expect the Yankees to do it against the Twins, either. The best thing about tonight's game was Andy Pettitte's return to form. After the first two innings, which seemed similar to his previous struggles since coming back from the DL, he seemed to pitch like Andy Pettitte again. If he's finally back on his game, that would obviously be a very good thing for NY. Great 8th inning from Kerry Wood as well, and Curtis Granderson continues his new-and-dangerously-improved ways at the plate.

I still think Philadelphia takes it all, no matter who lands in the WS on the AL side of things.

The Rays have no offense. They've scored 17 runs in their last 10 games (1.7 runs per game), are now 3-7 over that stretch and have been shut out in four of those 10 games -- this while closing the season against Baltimore and KC. They have a grand total of 50 hits over the last 10 games (5 per game avg).

The pitching is shaky and susceptible to giving up big innings, but with no run support it doesn't much matter what kind of pitching you get.

The bad call on the swinging strike might have changed the score, but not the outcome. And missed calls happen. The Rays just know they can't overcome them.

I think it's Philadelphia's year, too.

I do like Cincinnati as kind of a sentimental favorite, so maybe they can catch some lightning in a bottle for a few games and still pull the upset. But assuming Philly advances, once you get into seven-game series, that rotation is going to be very difficult for anyone to get four wins against.

:rfr

(Now, imagine the Rays hacking away against the Phillies rotation.)

I winced a little when I saw the 3rd base coach slap Torres' stomach after he slid into 3rd during the rundown. The guy had his appendix taken out 3 weeks ago. Oh sure it wasn't that hard, and Torres likely has abs, and compared to sliding in head first it's nothing I guess. No doubt about it, a Giants-Phils NLCS would be fun, though we've only played 1 thus far.

Wow, just wow. :blink: I mean, nothing's going to top Halladay's no-hitter, but Lincecum's 14-K, two-hit shutout sure seems like one for the ages...like some sort of epic 1960s pitching playoff performance.

Yeah, a Halladay/Lincecum pairing in the NLCS would be awesome. First we have to get by the Reds which will not be easy.

One of my favorite separated-at-births:

tim_lincecum_mitch_kramer-300x127.png

:rofl:

Amazing! Lincecum stuck out the side in the 9th.

Watching the condensed game this morning, it was amazing striking out the side in the 9th, given the fact that the lead-off batter grounded out! Anyway, the Giants were lucky to score the run, Infante really should have fielded that grounder, easy play for a big league third baseman.

Edited by Matthew

Oh boy, here we go:

Here are the particulars: since 2002, the Yankees are 54-18 against the Twins in the regular season and 9-2 in the postseason. Even with Jason Kubel’s game-winning grand slam off Mariano Rivera in the Bronx on May 16, the Twins have lost 14 of their last 16 to the Yankees. Nine of those games were decided by two runs or fewer, and the Twins lost all nine. That’s not the kind of thing that inspires confidence in Twins Territory.

Gah, the kind of recitation that always gives me a sense of dread. "(Yankees) (Team X) own this team," etc., etc. Sooner or later there's always a comeuppance... NY better go into this series ready for a fight. Twins 2-8 in their last 10? NY was 3-7. This team never recovered from Andy Pettitte's injury, and I don't think Pettitte has had enough time to get back to form for the playoffs.

JUST. SHUT. UP. :P

I meant to say something before the series started about how no doubt Pettitte would go 6 innings, and give up only 3 and win, and that A.J. would go 5 gutty innings, also give up 3 and win....well, I would have been more or less right about Pettitte. Even better than Yankee fans could have dreamed. He's a damn fool if he retires...

I Guess A.Js gutty performance will have to come in the 2nd round....

Amazing! Lincecum stuck out the side in the 9th.

Watching the condensed game this morning, it was amazing striking out the side in the 9th, given the fact that the lead-off batter grounded out! Anyway, the Giants were lucky to score the run, Infante really should have fielded that grounder, easy play for a big league third baseman.

Infante had played 2nd most of the year til Brooks Conrad forgot how to field at 3rd(He looked great there early in the year, go figure) So Infante went back to 3rd. I guess he thought the ball would come up more....great to see yet another blown call (the steal at 2nd) affect the outcome of a game. Wonder if the umps have been paid to screw up to make it easier on old school fans to see more instant replay? :rolleyes:

Edited by BERIGAN

....great to see yet another blown call (the steal at 2nd) affect the outcome of a game. ...

Yes. Of the three blown calls yesterday (the other two resulting in managers getting tossed in the two ALDS games), that was the only one that really had an impact on the possible outcome of the game. Posey was out. He pretty much admitted it after the game. Without that run, it's 0-0 after 9.

Lincecum was amazing though.

....great to see yet another blown call (the steal at 2nd) affect the outcome of a game. ...

Yes. Of the three blown calls yesterday (the other two resulting in managers getting tossed in the two ALDS games), that was the only one that really had an impact on the possible outcome of the game. Posey was out. He pretty much admitted it after the game. Without that run, it's 0-0 after 9.

From ESPN....

In Thursday's National League Division Series opener between San Francisco and Atlanta, Giants catcher Buster Posey was credited with a stolen base when replays showed he appeared to be tagged out. Posey later scored the lone run in the Giants' 1-0 win over the Braves.

"I guess it's a good thing we don't have instant replay right now," Posey told reporters after the game.

What's amazing is after last year's suckitude by the umpires in the playoffs/World Series, Bud "Genius" Selig said that baseball would make sure that didn't happen again. Thanks again Bud for your great work!

PS: Why am I using the word amazing so much? it's in every post I do now.. amazing!

Edited by Matthew

I hate Selig.....ok that's over with.

With the instant replays on TV and that strike zone graphic- umps can't win. They're the last to know they missed a call. The strike zone graphic is ridiculous because the strike zone is a three dimensional stationary box over the plate- and the graphic is two dimensional.

I umpire girls softball games- 15u and below, and by myself...I call balls/strikes behind the plate- and also the bases on hit balls- I'll run out on the field for the best angle to the play. It's tough- especially on the bang-bang plays- and I'm doing the best I can. There's no room for error- miss one call and you're toast.

If there was instant reply for each of my calls- and behind the plate, I wouldn't umpire. It's enough that parents think they know the rules better than me and say I miss calls or pitches from their vantage points behind the screen.

Both umps and players/coaches are at fault- everyone has to one-up the other one.

I think everyone should umpire a game one time and see what it's like.