2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Braves just shrunk their 2-game wild card lead over SD.

Bobby Cox, always the inept strategist under pressure, goes thru three pitchers in the 6th and still gives up the Philly grand slam to make it 7-to-2.

The final score when the Phils were "resting their starting horses": an 11-to-2 fubar for Booby.

Very disappointed in Matt Cain last night, I thought he would come up big, and pitch a good game -- he got hammered. From what I gather, if the Padres sweep, the Braves are out, no matter what they do.

The Braves magic number is 2. So if they win tonight and tomorrow it doesn't matter what the Padres do. What is interesting is that if the Padres sweep the Giants and the Braves split w/ the Phillies then the Braves, Giants, and Pads will finish w/ identical records. Not sure how that tie breaker would work out. I know the Giants & Padres would have a one game playoff for the NL West crown but what happens to the WC? Do the Braves automatically advance or do they have to play the loser of the SF/SD match up??? And if Cincinnati wins it's final 2 games then all 4 teams could wind up the same record which could make the playoff seeding complicated.

Oh and Braves fans..... Sunday the Phillies are going to throw Hamels AND Oswalt at ya. :cool:

And the Braves just shrunk their 2-game wild card lead over SD.

Bobby Cox, always the inept strategist under pressure, goes thru three pitchers in the 6th and still gives up the Philly grand slam to make it 7-to-2.

The final score when the Phils were "resting their starting horses": an 11-to-2 fubar for Booby.

Bill, people that just see the occasional Braves game on ESPN, or when their team plays the braves, just don't know how bad he is, do they???

Players LOVE him, will run thru walls for him(And keep playing when they really should be on the DL, like Prado, and earlier in the year with Heyward)...he's calm and steady...but...a guy can be cold a month, and he will keep running him out there. Then, you reach a certain point and you won't get another chance. Troy Glaus' knees were killing him, they finally put him on the Dl, he plays some 3rd at AAA, but would Bobby think to put him over there and moving Infante to left(before Prado was hurt) to try to get the anemic offense going? No, of course not! <_< Just keep running out the same failures every day. I think Melky Cabrera has proven himself to not be an everyday outfielder (.256 BA, .319 OBP, 4 homers, sure tore apart the girlyman NL didn't he?) He has 42 RBIs in 457 AB's and keeps screwing up in the outfield.

Eric Hinske, in 279 AB's has 11 HR's and 51 RBIs! He has exactly 2 starts in September. Melky 13 starts.

And yes, the teams seem to choke when they are behind in the standings, or in a game. 2-0 seems insurmountable most days. Just like it would in the playoffs....sigh....

At least the Tribe didn't lose 100 games this season

Congrats! :party:

If we skip "playoffs" (playoffs?) for the worst, the Suckitude Series is the Pirates vs. Mariners. They should do this, charge some goofy price like $3 and sell beer for 50 cents. I'd be a blast. Fuck, I'd go. :lol:

At least the Tribe didn't lose 100 games this season

Congrats! :party:

If we skip "playoffs" (playoffs?) for the worst, the Suckitude Series is the Pirates vs. Mariners. They should do this, charge some goofy price like $3 and sell beer for 50 cents. I'd be a blast. Fuck, I'd go. :lol:

That's like in Pee-Wee Football when they take the two teams withe the worst records and have them play in the Turkey Bowl the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Looks like Zito is on the verge of a meltdown in the top of the 1st. He's already issued back to back walks w/ the bags full. 2-0 San Diego.

Update: Zito avoids further damage by striking out Headley. Still he threw 33 pitches in the first.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Looks like the Braves are in serious trouble: Pods have won and Braves are getting shut out. I'm not sure how this works but if Pods and Braves win tomorrow, Giants and Padres play in a playoff and loser plays Braves for Wild Card. Not 100 per cent sure about that however.

Edited by Brad

Off the MLB site. It's still kind of confusing... :crazy:

National League: After opening this showdown series with a victory Friday at AT&T Park, the Padres are two games behind the Giants in the NL West and have an 11-5 advantage in the season series. They play two more times, and one Giants victory would mean a division clincher. If the Padres sweep, and if Atlanta wins the Wild Card outright, there would be a one-game tiebreaker Monday at Petco Park.

The Braves' lead over the Padres in the Wild Card race is down to a game with two to go, so Atlanta still can clinch if it beats Philadelphia on Saturday, coupled with a Padres loss. [Probably still for one win and one loss for either team now.]

How the Wild Card could come from the West: If the Padres sweep the Giants and the Phillies sweep the Braves, then Atlanta's final record would be 90-72 -- a game behind San Diego and San Francisco. Atlanta would be eliminated on Bobby Cox's last day as a manager. That means no tiebreaker game would be needed, and by virtue of its head-to-head tiebreaker edge, the Padres would be division champs and the Giants the Wild Card.

If Atlanta is the Wild Card and Cincinnati ends up with the same record as San Francisco or San Diego: The Braves would open Oct. 7 at either AT&T Park or PETCO Park. The best Cincinnati could do is finish with an identical record as the Giants and/or Padres, and both of those West teams won the season series from the Reds. So on Friday, the Reds' loss locked them in as a road team in the first round.

If either the Giants or Padres win the West and the other team finishes tied with the Braves for the Wild Card: Those two clubs (not the West champ) would play a one-game tiebreaker on Monday, hosted by Atlanta no matter whether it is against San Francisco or San Diego. The Braves won the season series from each.

What if the Giants, Padres and Braves all finish tied? First it would be Giants at Padres on Monday, with the winner being declared the division champion. Then a day later, the losing team would play in Atlanta to decide the Wild Card. Head-to-head is the first tiebreaker criteria, replacing coin flips, in this scenario to determine tiebreaker site.

Edited by Matthew

All the Giants need to do is win one game, and they're in. The way San Diego is collasping, looks like tomorrow night will do it.

Friday: Cain chokes up three [count 'em], THREE HRs, fer crissakes! Giants lose.

Saturday: Barry "Headcase" Zito walks in not one, but TWO runs...in October? How is that even possible? I can't WAIT until his contract is up. He's worthless. Giants lose.

Sunday: Latos, the Padres stud muffin, is on the mound. The Giants will crap out on this one, too. You watch. Giants lose again.

Monday: Tie-breaker, and in San Diego. Perfect. Just shoot me now.

Go Phillies, goddamit! They are the Giants only hope to make it in as the NL Wildcard. To say I am pissed would be a GROSS understatement. All that work for nothing.

GRRRRRR!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

National League: After opening this showdown series with a victory Friday at AT&T Park, the Padres are two games behind the Giants in the NL West and have an 11-5 advantage in the season series. They play two more times, and one Giants victory would mean a division clincher. If the Padres sweep, and if Atlanta wins the Wild Card outright, there would be a one-game tiebreaker Monday at Petco Park.

The Braves' lead over the Padres in the Wild Card race is down to a game with two to go, so Atlanta still can clinch if it beats Philadelphia on Saturday, coupled with a Padres loss. [Probably still for one win and one loss for either team now.]

How the Wild Card could come from the West: If the Padres sweep the Giants and the Phillies sweep the Braves, then Atlanta's final record would be 90-72 -- a game behind San Diego and San Francisco. Atlanta would be eliminated on Bobby Cox's last day as a manager. That means no tiebreaker game would be needed, and by virtue of its head-to-head tiebreaker edge, the Padres would be division champs and the Giants the Wild Card.

If Atlanta is the Wild Card and Cincinnati ends up with the same record as San Francisco or San Diego: The Braves would open Oct. 7 at either AT&T Park or PETCO Park. The best Cincinnati could do is finish with an identical record as the Giants and/or Padres, and both of those West teams won the season series from the Reds. So on Friday, the Reds' loss locked them in as a road team in the first round.

If either the Giants or Padres win the West and the other team finishes tied with the Braves for the Wild Card: Those two clubs (not the West champ) would play a one-game tiebreaker on Monday, hosted by Atlanta no matter whether it is against San Francisco or San Diego. The Braves won the season series from each.

What if the Giants, Padres and Braves all finish tied? First it would be Giants at Padres on Monday, with the winner being declared the division champion. Then a day later, the losing team would play in Atlanta to decide the Wild Card. Head-to-head is the first tiebreaker criteria, replacing coin flips, in this scenario to determine tiebreaker site.

Wow! :blink:

All the Giants need to do is win one game, and they're in. The way San Diego is collasping, looks like tomorrow night will do it.

Friday: Cain chokes up three [count 'em], THREE HRs, fer crissakes! Giants lose.

Saturday: Barry "Headcase" Zito walks in not one, but TWO runs...in October? How is that even possible? I can't WAIT until his contract is up. He's worthless. Giants lose.

Sunday: Latos, the Padres stud muffin, is on the mound. The Giants will crap out on this one, too. You watch. Giants lose again.

Go Phillies, goddamit! They are the Giants only hope to make it in as the NL Wildcard. To say I am pissed would be a GROSS understatement. All that work for nothing.

GRRRRRR!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sanchez is going for the Giants. Gosh, you never know what you're going to get when he's on the mound -- he can be light outs, or gone by the bottom of the second, he's the Sybil of the staff. Bochy better have that bullpen warming up from the first pitch. It would be a huge bummer if the Giants don't even make the playoffs, what a crazy final weekend for the NL.

GRRRRRR!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sanchez is going for the Giants. Gosh, you never know what you're going to get when he's on the mound -- he can be light outs, or gone by the bottom of the second, he's the Sybil of the staff. Bochy better have that bullpen warming up from the first pitch. It would be a huge bummer if the Giants don't even make the playoffs, what a crazy final weekend for the NL.

Gosh?

Puh-lease. :rolleyes:

Giants will lose. I mean, any team which PHs Jose "I can't hit my hat size" Guillen in a two man on, two out situation isn't going anywhere.

Padres win the NL West.

And if there is ANY justice in the world, the undeserving Brav-o's will succumb to the Phils and the Giants will at least squeak in as the WC.

GRRRRR!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

What a brave man you are! I was too chicken to seek it out and just hoped the Giants would win by now. Thanks for that though, as for a second I made myself think I got it. :lol:

For real! My Dad isn't much of a baseball fan, but asked...tried to regurgitate what I read from memory...lets just say it didn't go too well! :crazy:

If the Pods and the Braves both win tomorrow, then SF, Pods and Braves have identical records. Pods & SF then play a playoff game to determine the division winner. Loser of that game would then play the Braves, with winner as Wildcard and loser going home.

The Mets almost had the same scenario two years ago with the Phillies and Colorado, but the Mets lost on the last day of the season and were eliminated.

If the Pods and the Braves both win tomorrow, then SF, Pods and Braves have identical records. Pods & SF then play a playoff game to determine the division winner. Loser of that game would then play the Braves, with winner as Wildcard and loser going home.

The Mets almost had the same scenario two years ago with the Phillies and Colorado, but the Mets lost on the last day of the season and were eliminated.

What is ridiculous is the scenario of all three teams making the playoffs, but having two playoff games to decide who plays who. Why would MLB want three teams to go through all that stuff, when the staffs are already worn out from the end of the season? There has to be a better way to do this, but Selig probably would love having two extra playoff games -- what a fool.

Gosh?

Puh-lease. rolleyes.gif

Well, double darn gosh! What's wrong with "gosh" dannabbit! (pulling pants to up to my waist.)

Dodger fan, right?

Goodie, look when I posted this:

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

I guess this is a good time for predictions:

AL Champion: Chicago White Sox

NL Champion: San Francisco Giants (their pitching will get them through any series)

World Series Champion: San Francisco Giants. Pitching and defense is the name of the game this year, so the Giants can win it all with their pitching staff, though like Seattle, offense will be a continuing problem.

I've been with the Giants the whole year. and I'm not stopping now... :excited:

Edited by Matthew

Dodger fan, right?

Goodie, look when I posted this:

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

I guess this is a good time for predictions:

AL Champion: Chicago White Sox

NL Champion: San Francisco Giants (their pitching will get them through any series)

World Series Champion: San Francisco Giants. Pitching and defense is the name of the game this year, so the Giants can win it all with their pitching staff, though like Seattle, offense will be a continuing problem.

I've been with the Giants the whole year. and I'm not stopping now... :excited:

Goodie! Don't let him fool you! Notice the date of that prediction.