2010 MLB Season

More reasons to be royally pissed off at the baseball gods.

The funny thing about the baseball gods is that despite an injury riddled season and

not having Youk & Pedroia it all comes down to Papelbon,Take away his 7 BLOWN saves and the Sox are leading in the wild card race!

That is kinda amazing...still think that Francona should be voted manager of the year.

That's not a realistic situation. I don't have the stats in front of me but he must average 4 blown saves a year. You can't eliminate all of his blown saves and say they should be leading the wild card. He ain't Mariano Rivera. So, realistically, you could say that if papelbon hadn't sucked donkey dicks this season then they might be closer to playoff contention.

And don't forget, blown saves don't mean the team didn't come back to win the game anyway.

Billy Wagner has blown 7 saves for the braves, but I know at least 3 of them were just allowing the other team to tie the game up.

Brad Lidge has only blown 5 saves, but he was on the DL a couple of times this year.

I think when talking HOF worthy closers in the future, the sheer number of saves should only be a part of determining if a closer gets in or not...and the conversion percentage should be the most important factor.

Trevor Hoffman got 600 last night(Or the night before? I was behind on my recorded baseball tonights) but his conversion percentage was only a percent or so below Mariano Rivera which is quite impressive...especially since he has not been very good the past two years...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hats off to Fausto Carmona! Complete game shutout against the Twins, 3H, 1BB, 7K, facing two batters over the minimum, throwing only 108 pitches, and (with the assistance of the anemic Indian offense) finishing nine innings in just 1:57. Ex-Indian Carl Pavano (16-11, 3.47 ERA) takes the loss.

Man, did you all see this story on Eric Show???? I took an instant dislike to him. Didn't like anything about him. Sitting on the mound when Pete Rose got the hit to pass Ty Cobb. Him hitting Andre Dawson in the face with a pitch(I had forgotten about that til it was brought up in this story) Had heard about him being a racist. Hell, I didn't like his mustache!

But, you never know what someone has gone through, that's made them the way they are....

He was a jazz fan to boot....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5543839

Giants are now tied with the Padres, they might leave San Diego two games in front at this rate. And hey! I'm hugely disappointed in the Padre fans, I grew up watching them, so I have a little residual feeling, but the acres and acres of empty seat is an embarrassment to Padre fans.

Man, did you all see this story on Eric Show???? I took an instant dislike to him. Didn't like anything about him. Sitting on the mound when Pete Rose got the hit to pass Ty Cobb. Him hitting Andre Dawson in the face with a pitch(I had forgotten about that til it was brought up in this story) Had heard about him being a racist. Hell, I didn't like his mustache!

But, you never know what someone has gone through, that's made them the way they are....

I read this yesterday on ESPN. Chilling.

Chilling indeed. I read the story right after listening to the recent Fresh Air episode with Andre Agassi. Much the same story of an overbearing father trying to live his dream through the athletic prowess of his son.

The Padres seem to get a lot of high strung players. Mike Ivie and All Wiggins also come to mind. I remember when Ivie came up, all the scouts said he was just as talented as Johnny Bench. Too bad he turned into a head case.

Wow....shows that how you treat your kids will affect them later in life. I umpire girls softball and try to be friendly to all the kids in an authoritative way- who knows what their homelife is like? Maybe softball is an escape. Thank goodness my dad wasn't like Eric's dad.

Fellow Yankee Haters, take heart!

The Rangers, who the Yankees have beaten like a red-headed stepchild since forever, showed that they can hang with anyone by completing a three game sweep today. Nothing sweeter than the Yankee bullpen blowing the first two games followed by Cliff Lee throwing like it was last October in the finale.

Well, its sweet but will be much sweeter when they beat them in October. This will do for now - too bad the Rays missed a chance to move ahead in the division but now they host the stumbling MFY for three.

Nice to see Cliff Lee back in form. If only back in 2007... wouldn't have needed Paul Byrd for anything... ahhhh.

Is it correct that the MLB/TBS game next week really is NYY/Orioles??? Is there not a more interesting national matchup out there, or is MLB really trying to drive everyone outside of Yankee Kingdom to watch the NFL? I haven't checked the schedule, but is there really not a better matchup than the best and worst records in the AL? Are we really suffering from Yankee underexposure?

Ugh.

Here's the early schedule for next Sunday. Looks like Angels - Tampa Bay was probably their preferred choice, with Atlanta - Mets or Boston - Toronto the other possibilities heading into the season.

Atlanta at NY Mets 1:10 PM

Chicago Cubs at Florida 1:10 PM

NY Yankees at Baltimore 1:35 PM

Toronto at Boston 1:35 PM

Washington at Philadelphia 1:35 PM

Arizona at Pittsburgh 1:35 PM

LA Angels at Tampa Bay 1:40 PM

Cincinnati at Houston 2:05 PM

Cleveland at Kansas City 2:10 PM

Oakland at Minnesota 2:10 PM

San Diego at St. Louis 2:15 PM

On the other hand, does any know if TBS is obligated to show each team once the way Fox (I believe) is? It might be their last chance to include Baltimore in a national broadcast.

The Giants vs. Brew-has game might be worth watching, too.

Playoffs loom large.

Giants have 18 games left [and with three days off; all Mondays]; 12 of which are at home.

Dodgers- 3

Brewers- 3

Cubs- 3 [road]

Rockies- 3 [road]

D-Backs- 3

Padres- 3

With a tie for the NL West and 1.5 games back in the WC, this has the makings of an exciting final three weeks!

Edited by GoodSpeak

Hey Papsrus, congrats on tonight's win--your bullpen outlasted ours. Yankees not hitting at all of late (or leaving lots of LOB when they do). Hate to say it, but tonight's game could be your equivalent to our 15-inning win over Boston last year.

Pitching match-up was a gem. To get a win when CC starts is huge.

The schedule-makers sure got it right this year. :g

Love this move...

As expected, the Phillies have flip-flopped Roy Oswalt and Kyle Kendrick in the rotation, starting Oswalt on Friday against the Nationals and Kendrick on Saturday. The move enables the Phillies to line up Oswalt, Cole Hamels and Roy Halladay for the series against the Braves that starts Monday. Those same three will then be available to pitch the season-ending series against the Braves in Atlanta.

Phillies are looking tough in the stretch, J.H.... I'm starting to think they're going to rack up NL championship #3 in a row. The NL postseason is going to be really interesting this year.

Papsrus, does this feel like a playoff series or what? And we play each other five more times before the playoffs even start! Another incredible game tonight... I really don't think NY could've taken another epic loss on this road trip from hell. After Nova's meltdown in the 5th (not sure why Joe G left him in so long, unless he was trying to let Nova go 5 for the decision...damn near cost us the game, though!), the bullpen really came through (save for Logan's giving up the HR to Aybar, of course), aided by those incredible plays by Granderson and Golson in the 9th and 10th.

Man, you should've seen the thread at Pinstripe Alley in the bottom of the 5th, though. Talk about misery! At least we've avoided a sweep, and Pettitte's back on Sunday to face Baltimore. In the meantime, tomorrow night should be a hell of a rubber match, unless you guys knock Phil Hughes around (a distinct possibility, unfortunately--from my POV, of course :tophat: ).

Edited by ghost of miles

Phillies are looking tough in the stretch, J.H.... I'm starting to think they're going to rack up NL championship #3 in a row. The NL postseason is going to be really interesting this year.

No matter how it goes down, it is interesting how 2 pennants in a row (duh, plus a title) along with being dangerous the following year makes the legacy of the past 30+ years look all the more impressive. Before last season (or perhaps the season before that) the Phils were kind of a one-off, with the World Series title of '80 and that old-timer Reds cast off (Rose, Morgan, Perez) ugly WS team of '83, followed by the ultra fun crazy scrappy goofball losers in dramatic fashion of '93. (There were of course some excellent teams in the '70s - where Dick Allen became Richie again- that had tough luck vs. the Dodgers.) But now with a title and pennant of the past 2 years followed by yet another contender this year, the whole legacy is looking a lot more badass than any suffering experienced by the faithful probably was. Hang in there J.H. ;)

Edited by Quincy

Yeah another ring would make me forgive and forget a lot of the misery of the 80's/90's. :rolleyes: This is really the best time that I can remember to be a Phillies fan. This year has been so crazy w/ all of the guys on the DL(18 at last count) and to think that w/ 3 weeks to go we have the best record in the NL. It's just incredible. Hopefully they can make it to the playoffs and have some more success.