2010 MLB Season

What is the deal with Bud Selig and the Rangers? Does Nolan Ryan have incriminating pics of Bud or some such? :blink:

Yet Selig has blocked Hicks from seeking higher bids, and he has threatened to invoke the “best interests of baseball” clause to accelerate the sale. When Hicks voiced doubts in April about whether lenders would approve the Ryan-Greenberg offer, baseball officials issued a statement later that day affirming that it was running the sale and that Selig would deal “appropriately” with interference from Hicks or anyone else.

One of Selig’s lawyers vowed profanely in a conference call that if the judge did not approve the team’s prepackaged bankruptcy plan, which would have sped approval of the Greenberg-Ryan bid, M.L.B. would terminate the franchise, according to a person on the call.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think it's now official--Phil Hughes has morphed, for the time being, into a mediocre starter. Last year as a reliever he had a confidence meltdown at the end of the season and was all but unusable throughout the playoffs. I sure hope that's not what we're seeing again, except this time as a starter.

EDIT: and as somebody commented at Pinstripe Alley, what's the deal with NY making so many spot starters look like Nolan Ryan this year? :blink:

Edited by ghost of miles

IMHO, the reality is that Hughes remains a two-pitch pitcher. When he commands the fastball (and especially when he gives it a little more giddyup) and the curve he gets major leaguers out. But does he throw a sinker or a change with any effectiveness to give hitters something else to think about? If you remember the axiom that pitchers are ahead of hitters early in the season, you might come to the conclusion that his numbers weren't better because he had better stuff, or more confidence, but basically for the same reason that he dominated in the spring to win the job - the hitters just needed to get into the flow and the weather just needed to warm up to get a better idea about him.

The fact is that they are going to make the playoffs, and if they don't add a reliever - or do add a starter, he could easily go back to the pen where, come to think of it, there seems to be an opening for an eighth inning guy.

Dan--there was a lot of hype coming out of spring training about Hughes having developed a decent changeup, but he hasn't used it much at all, as far as I can tell. From an article on the YES network site:

Enter Phil Hughes. A big part of the Yankees’ narrative coming out of Spring Training this year concerned Hughes’ change-up. Because, the motif went, Hughes had developed a third Major League quality pitch, the Yankees felt confident putting him into the starting rotation on the basis of a strong spring. Yet, Hughes’ change hasn’t made much of an appearance this year. The Fangraphs’ data isn’t entirely accurate, but Hughes has thrown only around two percent changes, and the pitch has been a below average one for the Yanks’ right-hander. For the pitches Pitch f/x counts as changes, the velocity separate has been around eight miles per hour, and the downward movement at 6.6 inches, both very good numbers.

By and large, though, Hughes’ change-up has been one of the major questions hovering around the Yanks’ pitching staff this season. Where has this pitch been? Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal asked just that question last week, and the Yankees insist they’re still working on it with Hughes. Jorge Posada spoke about their reasons for avoiding the pitch. “It’s only going to get better if we call it, but as a catcher, you don’t want to get beat on a fourth pitch, so you have to pick the spot to do it,” the Yanks’ catcher said. “We know it’s there. It’s mainly my fault and probably Cervelli’s fault. We need to not forget about it and call it at times.”

Costa discusses how Hughes’ success with his fastball has led to his eschewing the change. Phil knows the heat can blow away most hitters, and as he dominates hitters during the first time through the lineup, there’s no place for the change. This pitch should come to play later, and as Costa notes, in admittedly small samples, Hughes’ ERA goes from 2.40 in the first three innings of the game to 5.14 after as hitters adjust to the four-seamer.

Still, Hughes maintains that this pitch will be a part of his arsenal this season, and he says he hasn’t shied away from throwing it during his bullpen sessions. “I really feel like it’s there,” he said. “Sometimes I just get away from it. One hundred pitches goes by quick. Before you know it, you haven’t thrown many…”I’d like to say that down the line, you probably will see more of it.”

More

As for the starter situation, Javy seems to have stabilized, but A.J. is obviously still out of whack, even after Eiland's return (two excellent starts but then the meltdown and temper tantrum against the Rays), and Pettitte won't be back till it's almost September. Yes, I still think we'll make the playoffs (though I'm not counting your Bosox out by any stretch of the imagination), but man, the rotation, which has been one of our great strengths, is rather iffy IMO for now.

Edited by ghost of miles

The Angels took Hughes to the woodshed tonight. Not a good sign. He's been shaky of late. Not what you want to see when your rotation is in disarray. Not only that, but the bullpen proved once again why it deserves to be the biggest concern in all of Yankee nation.

Edited by Dave James

He's been shaky since June: ERA of about 4.65 and an OPS allowed of .808 in June and .754 in July - before tonight. And as David's article basically says - he has been a two-pitch pitcher, and after one time through the lineup, that is hurting him. And W-L records aren't really appropriate measures - the guy was getting the most run support in the majors the last time I heard.

I tell you what, it makes me more appreciative of the way Buchholz has put it together, because he has a legit 4 pitch arsenal - four-seamer, cutter, curveball and change, plus a nice little slider and he uses all of them. And there's a guy who had serious "mental" issues early on. Obsessive throwing over to 1B when someone would get on, and a terrible inability to limit damage. The funny thing now is that his SO rate is down, and its not the greatest K/BB ratio but he has had consistent success because its clicked for him - don't try to overpower people, and don't obsess over whatever happened before. Deal with the guy in front of you and make your pitch, chances are they won't hurt you.

Crazy Dodgers - Giants game last night.

I don't understand why the Dodgers had Kershaw intentionally drill Rowand to lead off the 7th which got Kershaw and Torre ejected. Rowand sucks and you already had one of your pitchers break in his face earlier in the year. The giants didn't bring him home but it set up stuff for later. Good job by Bochy catching that Mattingly made two trips to mound in the 9th which made the Dodgers bring out their closer Broxton which let the Giants tie and take the lead.

Looks like the Phillies are trying to get Oswalt in a 3 team deal w/ the Astros w/ Jayson Werth going to Tampa. Hey Ruben Amaro maybe you shouldn't have traded Cliff Lee for 3 toilet flushes back in December?? Even if they somehow pull this off there are still some big problems for the Fightin's namely their BP. Not too mention that Werth is right handed slugger in a left handed dominated lineup and his likely replacement is Domonic Brown also a lefty.

Looks like the Phillies are trying to get Oswalt in a 3 team deal w/ the Astros w/ Jayson Werth going to Tampa. Hey Ruben Amaro maybe you shouldn't have traded Cliff Lee for 3 toilet flushes back in December?? Even if they somehow pull this off there are still some big problems for the Fightin's namely their BP. Not too mention that Werth is right handed slugger in a left handed dominated lineup and his likely replacement is Domonic Brown also a lefty.

Where's this? What would Tampa give up?

Lee in Texas, Werth solidifying the Rays lineup? Me would likey, no make that me would fucking love that as it would put the MFY back on their heels come October.

And just as I fucking predicted it, the west coast trip is bringing disaster. They fail a golden opportunity to pick up ground on both teams in front of them last night, and today, with Tampa and NY already booking wins, Buchholz is struggling, there's no offense in sight and this will be a series loss soon enough. Two more like that and they'll limp back to Boston with 55 wins and 60 games to play.

David, why do you possibly "fear" Boston? Do you think that 95 wins will make the playoffs this year? Do you think that when healthy - and assuming that they actually are healthy by 29 July, they can go better than 40-20 the rest of the way? Every fucking loss puts them further behind the eight-ball, because the reality is that Pedroia doesn't return til August anyway. Are they going to somehow go 40-15? Maybe they'll somehow sneak through by winning every single remaining game against NY and Tampa. That's the point they are reaching - the same as when you were a kid and couldn't face facts, so you invented scenarios where "we've got 9 games left and 6 against the Yankees, all they gotta do is sweep them!"

Fucking asinine fantasy.

Where's this? What would Tampa give up?

Can't find the original article but it looks like it may not happen afterall...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5398937

here's part of the original story...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5397906

Dan, if you guys are 10 or more games out come August 1, I'll be a little less worried about a late-season comeback--but c'mon, man, we both lived through 1978! (Not to bring up a bad memory for you on purpose--simply to make a point.) Your Bosox are one of the most banged-up teams in modern baseball history that I can think of, and yet you're still only 7 games out. New York's rotation is very shaky (witness Javy's mediocre performance today...oh, and just to mention another glaring weakness, witness Joba giving up his standard run in his relief appearance! I'm grateful that he didn't give up more--what is his ERA now, 5.80 or something? Logan and Robertson both had bad days on the mound as well). Tex is finally starting to hit, but he, A-Rod and Jeter all remain mired to one degree or another in subpar seasons... with all of the injuries, Boston's still outhitting and outscoring NY by slight margins. Your setup guy is much, much better than our setup guy, and in spite of several dramatic blown saves, Papelbon's still getting the closing job done almost all of the time. If Beckett regains his form at all upon his return, and if Andy's out through almost all of August, then I can see Boston being in a position to be only 4-5 games out by the beginning of September.

Well finally someone in the Philly sports media has realized what the Phillies fans have known ever since the Lee trade was announced....

Lee trade wasn't necessary

When pitching is the name of the game, you've been to the WS two years in a row and you can have two of the top pitchers in baseball on your team, you...trade one for Manny, Moe & Jack? Huge mistake to me.

Inside the park home run for Derek Jeter tonight against the Royals.

First since his rookie year. Sure a bad play for KC as well--they've been holding out for a great trade offer on DeJesus, and he injured himself on the play.

Hats off to C.C.--11 hits and 4 walks over 6 1/3 IP, and somehow he gives up only 3 ER? And I hope for A-Rod's sake that he gets #600 soon... the atmosphere sounded crazy over the radio when he was at bat in the 8th. He should have a decent shot at it in the next two days, given what Sweeny Murti tweeted a little while ago:

ARod is 4 for 7, 3 HR vs Fri starter Brian Bannister. ARod hit 500th HR off Sat starter Kyle Davies.

The middle of that Red Sox infield has been a disaster in the late innings tonight. A 6-1 lead going into the 9th is now 6-6, and it ain't over yet.

EDIT: Inning over. ... Whew. Mariners, 6 runs on 5 hits. Sox with three errors on the night.

Edited by papsrus

The middle of that Red Sox infield has been a disaster in the late innings tonight. A 6-1 lead going into the 9th is now 6-6, and it ain't over yet.

EDIT: Inning over. ... Whew. Mariners, 6 runs on 5 hits. Sox with three errors on the night.

Guh. Maybe MLB needs to adopt NASCAR's "The Chase" model, just to put some of these teams out of their misery.

Well, they eventually won, but had to get out of a bases-loaded, one-out jam in extra innings. Didn't realize Lackey had a no-hitter going earlier as I tuned in late with the sound off.

That would have been an extremely tough loss.

Edited by papsrus

Well finally someone in the Philly sports media has realized what the Phillies fans have known ever since the Lee trade was announced....

Lee trade wasn't necessary

When pitching is the name of the game, you've been to the WS two years in a row and you can have two of the top pitchers in baseball on your team, you...trade one for Manny, Moe & Jack? Huge mistake to me.

Agreed.

Looks like the Cards are going for Oswalt. Man, that could be the clincher for them. I can't see any team beating Carpenter, Wainwright, and Oswalt in a 7 game series. Oh and then they have that rookie Garcia w/ the 2.24 ERA. Rube the Boob could take a few GM lessons from the Cards GM John Mozeliak.

Hats off to C.C.--11 hits and 4 walks over 6 1/3 IP, and somehow he gives up only 3 ER? And I hope for A-Rod's sake that he gets #600 soon... the atmosphere sounded crazy over the radio when he was at bat in the 8th. He should have a decent shot at it in the next two days, given what Sweeny Murti tweeted a little while ago:

ARod is 4 for 7, 3 HR vs Fri starter Brian Bannister. ARod hit 500th HR off Sat starter Kyle Davies.

Does anyone really care what kind of milestones A-Rod puts up now that he has copped to using steroids??? I mean, really?

Does anyone really care what kind of milestones A-Rod puts up now that he has copped to using steroids??? I mean, really?

Read a Newsday story today that basically says there has been little to no fanfare during his run-up to 600. Writer made the observation that the fans turned and left after his final at bat last night without really applauding him. Just filed out of the stadium. They want to see 600, but don't care that much that it's A-Rod doing it.

Sad deal, really.