2010 MLB Season

Let us bang the drum slowly for the man who ruined baseball and turned players and owners into disloyal greedheads.

I will miss him like a dog misses fleas.

Check the NFL and the when the Hard Salary Cap went into place and how many Super Bowls the 49ers won before and then after. Hint: one is five, the other is zero.

I have said it a million times, while baseball doesn't need a NFL type salary cap they should try to emulate the NFL TV revenue sharing to level the playing field.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that the year before he bought the Yankees Steinbrenner unsuccessfully tried to buy his home town team - The Cleveland Indians.

Now there's an intriguing alternate universe: Catfish Hunter & Reggie & Goose sign with Cleveland, and the Indians win a World Championship or two. Then of course since there's no revenue to support the spending, Steinbrenner bails out of the business ... and maybe the Yankees are working on a 45 year championship drought.

I can dream can't I?

Anyway, that's giving Steinbrenner far too much credit.

This article about Derek Jeter from spring training earlier this year came to mind today--I would love to see Jeter become a part of the Yankee ownership group some day. Hard to get a sense for how much Hal and Hank Steinbrenner want to keep the team, though I can't see them selling it any time soon (and I can't even begin to fathom how much NY is now worth... way, way more than the $8 million George paid for the team in 1973). But I can't imagine anybody more appropriate than Derek Jeter for at least a partial stake in the Yankees.

EDIT: ESPN says the Yanks are now worth $1.6 billion. Well, that's a pretty steep mountain for Jeter to climb--but I'd love to see him find a way.

Edited by ghost of miles

I just read that the year before he bought the Yankees Steinbrenner unsuccessfully tried to buy his home town team - The Cleveland Indians.

Now there's an intriguing alternate universe: Catfish Hunter & Reggie & Goose sign with Cleveland, and the Indians win a World Championship or two. Then of course since there's no revenue to support the spending, Steinbrenner bails out of the business ... and maybe the Yankees are working on a 45 year championship drought.

I can dream can't I?

In 1972 the Indians still had Chambliss, Nettles & Tidrow. Perhaps the trades don't happen. And the Indians had Gaylord Perry. You never know, maybe the alternate universe Indians coulda been a contender.

I can dream can't I?

In 1972 the Indians still had Chambliss, Nettles & Tidrow. Perhaps the trades don't happen. And the Indians had Gaylord Perry. You never know, maybe the alternate universe Indians coulda been a contender.

The Yankee teams that won world championships nearly always benefited from some shrewd trades (the players you mention, Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez in the 1990s, Nick Swisher on the current team).

Let us bang the drum slowly for the man who ruined baseball and turned players and owners into disloyal greedheads.

How you can blame Steinbrenner for taking advantage of the rules baseball imposed upon itself. The only thing you could possibly cite him for was being better positioned to take advantage of those rules than anyone else. Would you have had him not do so in the interests of fairness? Since when has that entered into the equation in any professional sport? LIke it or not, It is, always has been and always will be about winning. He did what he thought he needed to do, and could do, to affect that outcome. End of story.

It's called a moral compass.

The BigShit Boss had only one goal in mind: Buy the World Series.

He singlehandedly ruined baseball and turned it into a get all you can while you can greed fest. I cry no tears for this self-serving jackass. None.

The bastard.

Check the NFL and the when the Hard Salary Cap went into place and how many Super Bowls the 49ers won before and then after. Hint: one is five, the other is zero.

I have said it a million times, while baseball doesn't need a NFL type salary cap they should try to emulate the NFL TV revenue sharing to level the playing field.

Who's talking about a salary cap, WB3?

I'm talking about crossing the line from making a very good living to making multi-millionaires out of people who play a kid's game for a living. The ButtHead Boss changed the game from one of getting a good salary to one of wanton greed and a fuck-the-fans mentality of zero loyalty.

As a dedicated fan of baseball, I hope he rots in hell.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Yeah, everybody would be better off if every owner were like a Charlie Finley, Timmy?

And you're a fuckin' liberal?

Of course you are - you hate rich people.

But you're also supposed to give a shit about workers not being slaves to employers, which is precisely what the Reserve Clause created - indentured servitude in which a ball player could accept whatever salary an owner offered, or he could go pump gas for a living.

Oops, I forgot - you're a freaking moron without functional brain cells. Carry on.

Yeah, everybody would be better off if every owner were like a Charlie Finley, Timmy?

And you're a fuckin' liberal?

Of course you are - you hate rich people.

But you're also supposed to give a shit about workers not being slaves to employers, which is precisely what the Reserve Clause created - indentured servitude in which a ball player could accept whatever salary an owner offered, or he could go pump gas for a living.

Oops, I forgot - you're a freaking moron without functional brain cells. Carry on.

OK.

I can die now. I've seen everything.

The Red Sox fan who defended Steinbrenner. Wow.

Hypocrite.

Do you think T. Boone Pickens has his own food taster and has been avoiding family this year? ;)

Though not much of a game which is a problem with trying to play baseball between 5:30 - 7 PM on the West Coast given the shadows and sunlight, I'm happy that the NL finally won the All-Star Game, as I find fun in seeing how the AL team deals with its DH.

I can dream can't I?

Check it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/100714_steinbrenner_indians&sportCat=mlb

How you can blame Steinbrenner for taking advantage of the rules baseball imposed upon itself. The only thing you could possibly cite him for was being better positioned to take advantage of those rules than anyone else. Would you have had him not do so in the interests of fairness? Since when has that entered into the equation in any professional sport? LIke it or not, It is, always has been and always will be about winning. He did what he thought he needed to do, and could do, to affect that outcome. End of story.

He singlehandedly ruined baseball and turned it into a get all you can while you can greed fest. I cry no tears for this self-serving jackass. None.

The bastard.

I'm talking about crossing the line from making a very good living to making multi-millionaires out of people who play a kid's game for a living. The ButtHead Boss changed the game from one of getting a good salary to one of wanton greed and a fuck-the-fans mentality of zero loyalty.

I hear ya but he was allowed to take advantage of the system by the commissioner, players union, other owners and even the fans. Of all teams that can afford to have a privately financed ballpark it would be the Yankees but the people of New York still voted to help pay for it. I still can't get over that one but I don't live in NY so I don't know what was promised.

The bastard.

I hear ya but he was allowed to take advantage of the system by the commissioner, players union, other owners and even the fans. Of all teams that can afford to have a privately financed ballpark it would be the Yankees but the people of New York still voted to help pay for it. I still can't get over that one but I don't live in NY so I don't know what was promised.

Good point.

But he still made the choice to abuse the system and thereby attempt to buy the WS by throwing suitcases of money at players who might have signed elsewhere if the playing field was still a level one.

He created an artificial corner on the market.

It wasn't put up for a vote. Yankee fan extraordinaire Rudy Guiliani got the deal done through the city council. I believe they used NYC-guaranteed bonds to raise the money.

Trust me, Rudy is far from extraordinary!!! He is an asshole of the highest order. As an NYC native, I should know.

It wasn't put up for a vote. Yankee fan extraordinaire Rudy Guiliani got the deal done through the city council. I believe they used NYC-guaranteed bonds to raise the money.

My recollection, which could be wrong, was that both new NY stadiums were privately financed although some city participation in permits, etc. and so forth was obviously necessary.

Regarding Steinbrenner, I wouldn't say he abused the system, he just used what was available to him. I don't see anything wrong with that. He's also a mixed bag. As I noted in Chris A's thread, not a person I would have wanted to work for -- just remember what he did to Dick Howser, which was pretty shameful. On the other hand, he apparently did some good public works. What is somewhat objectionable is forgetting how he behaved and deifying him. He engineered trading away young talent (like Doug Drabek) for washed up talent. Lastly, let's not forget that the Yankees did not get good until he was out of the picture because of the Spira matter and Gene Michael was allowed to put the team together without interference. It was his work that led to four titles.

:D

As for Steinbrenner, I used to hate him, and he did run into a drought of a few years for going overboard....but you knew he wanted to win. And was willing to put his money where his mouth was. Billionaire owners(some who are likely richer than the Steinbrenners) like the guy who owns the Indians would rather cry poor than keep Sabathia, VMart, Cliff Lee, etc. I wonder if the Yankees and Red Sox give them money now???

And Goodspeak, owners were always greedy. Players were too, but couldn't do a damn thing about it in the past....

Edited by BERIGAN