2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tired of hearing about the "Unwritten Rule"......it's like these oral traditions before the written language...how about we start writing down the "unwritten rules" so things are clearer.

I figure it just means the young guys in the league need to pay attention and study the game more.

Meanwhile, Romo nearly blows another one for the Giants today.

Rowand [4] saved his bacon.

I vote Romo most likely for reassignment to Fresno. Grrrr :angry:

I think it got away from Beckett--the ones that seemed more dubious to me were the ones that nearly hit Cervelli.

I watched the game, Ghost, and it was weird. Beckett started out like a house on fire, and in the 6th he just lost it- it seemed like he didn't know where the ball was going. He hit two guys with the bags jammed, the last thing a pitcher wants to do, and though the Yanks were yeling from the dugout it didn't look intentional at all to me.

Dan, don't give up hope on today's game--Dave "Houdini" Robertson, he of the 13.50 ERA, has taken to the mound for New York! :tophat:

Oh, but A-Rod doesn't deserve any chin music for doing something that Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Jim Kaat and Tim McCarver have all said is an absolute violation of a legitimate "unwritten rule"?

What a crock of shit. I hope the A's treat A-Rod like the Devil Rays used to go after Brian Daubach.

Dan,

All I'm saying is enough is enough. A-Rod is right. 15 minutes of fame is more than enough for this guy, but for some inexplicable reason he thinks it's worth 30 or even 45 minutes. Time to get over it. BTW, Jim Palmer said he couldn't have cared less if A-Rod crossed his mound. I think for every Seaver, Gibson, Kaat and McCarver who says it's B.S., you can find others who say it isn't.

Dudes, let it go. some reporter obviously asked him to elaborate on his opinions about A-rod. Braden elaborated, now the media is essentially upset at Braden for responding to the questions asked of him.

I kinda like Braden because he will answer every question asked of him and he will elaborate. In an era where 98% of all the players say the same stock answers like "I just wanted to help the team" its nice to have a someone be a good interview. I do think however its time for him to let it go.

That said if ARod was on my team helping them win I would say that he doesn't respect the game. He may be more of a team player now since last year (hmmm.. seems that winning brings out the best in everyone, if he was still on the Rangers he wouldn't be talking about this the way he is) but there is still something he doesn't get that I think is about the game being bigger than him or his team.

I guess Braden gets another 15 minutes of fame for tossing a PERFECT Game against the hottest team in baseball! :excited:

mlb_u_bradenperfgame01_576.jpg

Well, congratulations are in order to Dallas Braden--he threw a perfect game today and will make headlines for something other than continuing to vent about Alex Rodriguez. As I said upthread, actions on the field will earn you a lot more respect... and I'm also happy that in pitching his perfect game he beat Tampa Bay and thereby put NY in a tie with them for first place in the division. ^_^

Rays getting no-hit through 7.

"No hit" as in "perfect game" right?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=300509111

Can't wait to hear what ARod has to say now.

I don't think he's going to say anything except perhaps a perfunctory congrats. He's already said several times that he's through responding to it... it's Braden who's kept this thing going (and being prompted by a reporter is no excuse--he could have said that he was finished with it as well. Reporters have certainly been prompting A-Rod about it and will doubtless do so even more now that Braden's hurled a perfect game).

NY Times already has a response from Rodriguez:

''I've learned in my career that it's always better to be remembered for some of the good things you do on the field, and good for him,'' Rodriguez said before facing Boston. ''He threw a perfect game. And, even better, he beat the Rays.''

Another quote from the Times article:

The closest the Rays got to a hit was Jason Bartlett's liner to third leading off the game. Evan Longoria tried to bunt against Braden leading off the fifth, drawing boos from the small crowd.

Tampa Bay was down 4-0 at the time. It was the top of the fifth. Longoria's supposed to forego bunting at that point? :blink::rolleyes:

This must be the first series the Nationals have won over the Marlins in a while.

...and you guys moved into a 2nd-place tie with the Mets, who lost to San Francisco today.

Could have been worse if Romo knew how to pitch.

This must be the first series the Nationals have won over the Marlins in a while. They've had our number the last few years. Well, most teams have.

Just keep beating up on the [hated] Dodgers.

Well, NY's in a pitiful way against the Bosox tonight--A.J.'s getting rocked (and not being helped out at all by having Marcus Thames in left field), and we have no one to bring in to replace him, really--Park's on the DL, Aceves is out for at least three games, and Mitre has to be saved for his start against Detroit. Looks like Boston could make up the run differential for the whole three-game series tonight...glad we at least took two and the series overall, 'cause it ain't happenin' for NY tonight.

Tampa Bay was down 4-0 at the time. It was the top of the fifth. Longoria's supposed to forego bunting at that point? :blink::rolleyes:

Yeah, obviously there's nothing wrong with trying to get on base however you can in the middle innings in a fairly close game. If you're down 9-0 in the 8th or 9th and bunting just to try to break up a no-hitter or perfect game, that's another story. But bunting is entirely legit in the middle innings in a reasonably close game.

I'm probably in the minority here but.... I think bunting is OK at anytime. It's baseball not women's badminton. I don't care if you're up 20-0 or if it's the last out of a no-hitter. Especially if you're trying to break up a no-no. The alternative would be to have a special category for perfect games when there were no bunt attempts after the 6th inning. WTF?