2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice sixth inning if you're New York. Not so nice if you're Josh Beckett. I'm a little concerned about Pena running for Cano. Hope Cano isn't injured.

Wow...just got home and read the wrap-up, watched some of the highlights on GameDay. What the hell happened to Josh Beckett tonight? Sounds like he had a total meltdown in the 6th inning. Really glad to read that Phil Hughes had another quality start... I thought this was a bit of a test for his newfound prowess, coming in to pitch at Fenway for the opening game of a series with the Bosox bats on a roll of late.

Dave, the NY injury parade continues. <_< Cano is day-to-day after getting hit on the back of his leg, and Nick Johnson is likely DL with a "sore wrist." (We knew it was coming!) Will Posada be available to DH tomorrow? I sure hope so--we can't take too much more of this. And did Dave Robertson actually lower his ERA by pitching one inning and giving up one run tonight? I think he did... :crazy:

Not sure there'll be a game tomorrow--Red Sox ground crew is putting the tarp out tonight, and the forecast is bad. As banged-up as the Yankees are, a rain day might not be such a bad thing at this point.

Hilarious tweet from Ken Davidoff at the NY Times:

I'd hate to see Dallas Braden's reaction to someone wearing white pants after Labor Day.

:lol: Edited by ghost of miles

Wow. Just finished watching 47 year old young Jamie Moyer* throw a 2 hit complete game SHUTOUT vs. the Braves tonight. Un-freaking-real.

*oldest pitcher in MLB history to throw a complete-game shutout

A couple of interesting tweets about this on the Times' baseball page:

#Sweeny Murti--Phil Hughes was born 8 days after Jamie Moyer made his major league debut.

#Jayson Stark--Moyer has thrown three 2-hit shutouts -- 24 years apart! One in 1986, one in '06 and the one he threw tonight. Not even Nolan Ryan did that!

I'd hate to see Dallas Braden's reaction to someone wearing white pants after Labor Day.

Somebody needs to take Mr. Braden out to the woodshed and explain to him as forcefully as necessary that it's time to give this a rest.

Edited by Dave James

Nice to see some Tribe talk here. Of course, it could only be ranting about how pathetic they are. I'm trying not to pay too much attention this season. It should be made clear that the rant posted above is by Bruce Drennan, who is not an Indians TV announcer. He's a longtime Cleveland sports screecher, so this is his shtick. Rest assured, if we set the wayback machine to 1995 he would be complaining about Omar Vizquel's lack of power or Albert Belle's lack of manners. The Indians TV guys are Matt Underwood and Rick Manning (remember him?). Tom Hamilton does a nice job on the radio (with Mike Hegan, remember him?).

Now back to other teams--just drive by that wreck on the side of the road in Cleveland, nothing to see here, move right along.

Does Victor Martinez need a larger glove for when he's called on to (attempt to) catch Wake??

Nice to see some Tribe talk here. Of course, it could only be ranting about how pathetic they are. I'm trying not to pay too much attention this season. It should be made clear that the rant posted above is by Bruce Drennan, who is not an Indians TV announcer. He's a longtime Cleveland sports screecher, so this is his shtick. Rest assured, if we set the wayback machine to 1995 he would be complaining about Omar Vizquel's lack of power or Albert Belle's lack of manners. The Indians TV guys are Matt Underwood and Rick Manning (remember him?). Tom Hamilton does a nice job on the radio (with Mike Hegan, remember him?).

Now back to other teams--just drive by that wreck on the side of the road in Cleveland, nothing to see here, move right along.

Does Victor Martinez need a larger glove for when he's called on to (attempt to) catch Wake??

Ah, thanks for clarifing what Drennan does...I couldn't figure out how a broadcaster could get away with saying those things....I guess he never steps into the clubhouse, eh????

No. Drennan really is an example of the bad sports talk cliche. Kind of amazing (and sad) that he's been working in Cleveland for so long. I don't know what he actually does these days since I don't live there anymore (and would avoid him if I did). Maybe he's reached Screecher Emeritus status where one of the local sports cable channels (STO) is willing to give him a polo shirt and a camera.

So now Robbie Cano will be sitting out for a few games, as a result of getting drilled by Beckett last night. Posada's missed games after getting drilled earlier this year. Jeter got hit last night, Cervelli nearly got hit twice. An awful lot of high/inside pitching going on against NY... the best way to respond is to keep on winning, but NY's starting to lose players via injuries from this stuff. We called up another player today (Kevin Russo) to help spell Cano for the time being... so the best bat in the AL is now out of the lineup. Still no Posada--Thames will be DHing today.

At least any questions about how NY would fare with a rash of injuries are in the process of being answered.

Somebody needs to take Mr. Braden out to the woodshed and explain to him as forcefully as necessary that it's time to give this a rest.

From ESPN story last night:

BOSTON -- Two days after A's pitcher Dallas Braden offered to continue his discussion regarding Alex Rodriguez, the Yankees slugger declined to fire back, saying that he did not want to extend Braden's "15 minutes of fame" any longer.

Psych! ^_^

Braden is a punk. I saw a quote from him yesterday to the effect of "that's not the way we roll in the 209." Apparently this is a reference to keeping it real where he grew up. Give me a friggin' break. Good thing for him the AL has the DH. Otherwise, If he keeps popping off, he'd be in line for some chin music the next time the Yanks play the A's.

Dave--a poster at Pinstripe Alley reports that Nick Johnson has a torn wrist tendon and will be out for at least a month. Who woulda thunk it? :rolleyes: I think we should simply start Cervelli at catcher and move Posada to DH for the time being.

Conflicting reports on whether or not Cano will be in the lineup today. If he's not, NY will be missing 4 starters overall. At one point late last night Girardi supposedly looked down the bench, saw only Javy Vasquez sitting there, and said, "You used to play infield, right?" :ph34r: Maybe Javy will end up seeing some action in this series after all! ^_^

EDIT: Cano's in the lineup as DH. Still no sign of Jorge.

Edited by ghost of miles

Braden is a punk. I saw a quote from him yesterday to the effect of "that's not the way we roll in the 209." Apparently this is a reference to keeping it real where he grew up. Give me a friggin' break. Good thing for him the AL has the DH. Otherwise, If he keeps popping off, he'd be in line for some chin music the next time the Yanks play the A's.

Oh, but A-Rod doesn't deserve any chin music for doing something that Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Jim Kaat and Tim McCarver have all said is an absolute violation of a legitimate "unwritten rule"?

What a crock of shit. I hope the A's treat A-Rod like the Devil Rays used to go after Brian Daubach.

This is hilarious! That's not the way we roll in the 209!!!! What? They do it different in Modesto? Lodi? Turlock?* The 209! I can't believe this guy is making me defend the Yankees...

*Not that I have anything against these cities, but Stockton is the big city of the 209!

PS: I've been on the road so much lately, that last night's Giant / Met game was the first game I've been able to watch in three weeks.

Edited by Matthew

Oh, but A-Rod doesn't deserve any chin music for doing something that Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Jim Kaat and Tim McCarver have all said is an absolute violation of a legitimate "unwritten rule"?

What a crock of shit. I hope the A's treat A-Rod like the Devil Rays used to go after Brian Daubach.

Dan,

All I'm saying is enough is enough. A-Rod is right. 15 minutes of fame is more than enough for this guy, but for some inexplicable reason he thinks it's worth 30 or even 45 minutes. Time to get over it. BTW, Jim Palmer said he couldn't have cared less if A-Rod crossed his mound. I think for every Seaver, Gibson, Kaat and McCarver who says it's B.S., you can find others who say it isn't.

Edited by Dave James

Dave--a poster at Pinstripe Alley reports that Nick Johnson has a torn wrist tendon and will be out for at least a month. Who woulda thunk it? :rolleyes: I think we should simply start Cervelli at catcher and move Posada to DH for the time being.

Conflicting reports on whether or not Cano will be in the lineup today. If he's not, NY will be missing 4 starters overall. At one point late last night Girardi supposedly looked down the bench, saw only Javy Vasquez sitting there, and said, "You used to play infield, right?" :ph34r: Maybe Javy will end up seeing some action in this series after all! ^_^

EDIT: Cano's in the lineup as DH. Still no sign of Jorge.

So Nick Johnson's near magnetic attraction to the DL continues. The only positive that could come out of this is that he'll remember how to hit when he's activated in a month. What would you give to have Hideki Matsui or Johnny Damon available to DH right now? I don't think the Cano injury is very serious. I did not see the game last night. Was it a purpose pitch that hit him or just one that got away?

I think it got away from Beckett--the ones that seemed more dubious to me were the ones that nearly hit Cervelli. (Tex was almost hit, too, but I haven't seen the clip of that one.) Why Francona kept Beckett in so long during the 6th seems inexplicable to me. I haven't seen the clip of CC plunking Pedroia today, but if it was retaliation, it was stupid--next AB Martinez hit a home run, putting Boston up 3-2. That's one problem with retaliation--you're putting a runner on base.

Re: Cano, he's in the line-up and seems to be OK, so that's a big relief. But! But! Here's a report from today's game (back on again after rain delay)--via the Dave Barry "I-am-not-making-this-up" department:

New York Yankees pitcher Alfredo Aceves left the game due to an injured back.

:crazy:

Dan, don't give up hope on today's game--Dave "Houdini" Robertson, he of the 13.50 ERA, has taken to the mound for New York! :tophat:

Edited by ghost of miles

What the fuck is wrong with the citizens of the "Sunshine State"?

A 36-year-old man attending the second round of The Players Championship was subdued by a Taser on Friday.

Travis Parmelee, of Jacksonville, was charged with disorderly intoxication and resisting arrest without violence, said St. Johns County Sheriff's Office Capt. Dave Messenger.

Messenger said course marshals notified officers that Parmelee was yelling at players and being belligerent near the 11th hole. Officers responded and attempted to calm Parmelee down, but they said he became more combative.

They tried to take Parmelee into custody, but he resisted and was Tased once.

It also followed an odd incident Thursday night at TPC Sawgrass.

Course superintendent Tom Vlach found a car parked on the par-3 No. 8 shortly after dark. According to a report filed by the Sheriff's Office, Vlach found William John Rinaldi and Brianna Lynn Borelli inside the car with the engine running.

Rinaldi refused to turn the motor off and get out of the car, so Vlach called 911. Officers responded and found no damage to the green. Vlach declined to press charges as long as the two were issued a trespass warning.

"That was a strange one," Messenger said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5172108

Dan,

All I'm saying is enough is enough. A-Rod is right. 15 minutes of fame is more than enough for this guy, but for some inexplicable reason he thinks it's worth 30 or even 45 minutes. Time to get over it. BTW, Jim Palmer said he couldn't have cared less if A-Rod crossed his mound. I think for every Seaver, Gibson, Kaat and McCarver who says it's B.S., you can find others who say it isn't.

Dudes, let it go. some reporter obviously asked him to elaborate on his opinions about A-rod. Braden elaborated, now the media is essentially upset at Braden for responding to the questions asked of him.

I kinda like Braden because he will answer every question asked of him and he will elaborate. In an era where 98% of all the players say the same stock answers like "I just wanted to help the team" its nice to have a someone be a good interview. I do think however its time for him to let it go.

That said if ARod was on my team helping them win I would say that he doesn't respect the game. He may be more of a team player now since last year (hmmm.. seems that winning brings out the best in everyone, if he was still on the Rangers he wouldn't be talking about this the way he is) but there is still something he doesn't get that I think is about the game being bigger than him or his team.

Edited by WorldB3

I'm tired of hearing about the "Unwritten Rule"......it's like these oral traditions before the written language...how about we start writing down the "unwritten rules" so things are clearer.

They more or less are written. A book came this month on the subject, and there were already at least 2 released in the previous 5 years. So I guess we'll need some unwritten unwritten rules, unless no one bothers to read the books.

I think it got away from Beckett--the ones that seemed more dubious to me were the ones that nearly hit Cervelli. (Tex was almost hit, too, but I haven't seen the clip of that one.) Why Francona kept Beckett in so long during the 6th seems inexplicable to me. I haven't seen the clip of CC plunking Pedroia today, but if it was retaliation, it was stupid--next AB Martinez hit a home run, putting Boston up 3-2. That's one problem with retaliation--you're putting a runner on base.

(snip)

Yeah, I had no problem with C.C. retaliating for Beckett's wildness the previous night, but I didn't like that he chose Pedroia as his victim. Martinez has been tough against us, I think a pitch in his direction would have made more sense.

Meanwhile I'm quite surprised at how the Bosox are floundering (despite the four game sweep of the enigmatic Angels), especially as I thought that their pitching at the start of the season was the class of the AL East. Tough, tough road for them with the Yanks and Rays playing major league leading .700 ball.

I'm tired of hearing about the "Unwritten Rule"......it's like these oral traditions before the written language...how about we start writing down the "unwritten rules" so things are clearer.

They more or less are written. A book came this month on the subject, and there were already at least 2 released in the previous 5 years. So I guess we'll need some unwritten unwritten rules, unless no one bothers to read the books.

Ok....didn't know that! I'll have to look for them. As a pitcher all my baseball playing days, I have a few including: "don't embarrass or show up your opponent" and "protect and defend your teammates at all cost".

Edited by vajerzy