2010 MLB Season

Man, Cabrera is a phenomenal hitter. Just uncoiled at the Trop for his 25th HR of the season. The man has a .349 avg., 25 HR, and 89 RBI.

Comparable to Pujols: .365, 23 HR, 70 RBI, or Hamilton: .358, 23HR, 74 RBI.

Damn. I thought Ryan Howard was swinging the bat well at .301, 23HR, 81 RBI but those three are hitting 50 points better. :crazy:

Domonic Brown went 2 for 3 tonight, scored 2 runs, and knocked in 2 more. Smacked a double in his first at bat. Not bad.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO! NO! NO!

I don't want Oswalt and his back. Should have kept Lee.

Not to worry. I'm sure the two or three cortisone injections he's had recently are just precautionary. If I was a Phillies fan, I'd be asking the same question. Why let Lee go and then a year later pick up Oswalt for even more money. Of course, Oswalt still has to approve the deal and Philadelphia was not one of the teams he had indicated he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause to join.

Jscape2000 at Pinstripe Alley thinks Boston's still very much in the hunt in the AL East--and it looks to me like they will easily be less than 10 games behind going into August (right now they're 7 back of NY, 5 back of Tampa Bay):

Just when I'm tempted to stop paying attention to the Red Sox unless they're playing the Rays or Yankees, Josh Beckett comes off the DL and looks good. With 10 games left between the Yankees and Red Sox, 6 games between the Red Sox and Rays, and 10 games between the Yankees and Rays, the division is far from over... And frankly, I wish the Red Sox players all speedy recoveries. I don't want to beat half a team. I want to beat the whole team.

Jscape2000 at Pinstripe Alley thinks Boston's still very much in the hunt in the AL East--and it looks to me like they will easily be less than 10 games behind going into August (right now they're 7 back of NY, 5 back of Tampa Bay):

Just when I'm tempted to stop paying attention to the Red Sox unless they're playing the Rays or Yankees, Josh Beckett comes off the DL and looks good. With 10 games left between the Yankees and Red Sox, 6 games between the Red Sox and Rays, and 10 games between the Yankees and Rays, the division is far from over... And frankly, I wish the Red Sox players all speedy recoveries. I don't want to beat half a team. I want to beat the whole team.

Matthew@Organissimo.org has been saying that also...;)

Edited by Matthew

5.5 out of the playoffs right now.

Instead of my predicted 3-7 road trip they managed 6-4 because the Angels suck even more than the Red Sox. Big fucking deal.

Some crucial facts:

Pedroia is learning the hard way that healing a broken foot takes time, and 6 to 8 weeks means 6-8 weeks. He is barely over 4 weeks out, which means he has 10 days to 3 weeks yet to go. V-Mart being back helps a bit; Pedroia is still a crusher because Billy Hall plays too often until he gets back.

The bullpen remains a horrible place where leads go to die, and when the Blue Jays want Casey Kelley, their number one or two prospect, for Scott Fucking Downs, there is no deal to be had for any help. Wagers on whether or not Michael Bowden can be a difference-maker? Because there's no one else on the horizon.

I'm thrilled some MFY asshole respects the Red Sox roster so much but there are too many pieces missing for too much time yet to come for those head-to-head matchups to mean anything.

GO RAYS! KNOCK THE MFY OUT OF FIRST SO THEY HAVE TO BEAT CLIFF LEE TWICE WITH NO HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

The Rays have been playing pretty nice baseball since their June swoon. The bullpen -- a decided weak spot in years past -- is now one of their strongest assets. With Benoit (0.76 ERA) and Soriano, they essentially have two closers to run out there in the final two innings.

They are a really solid defensive club to begin with, have speed to burn, the starting pitching has been generally pretty good, and the offense is beginning to percolate like it should. Pena's coming around at the plate, Crawford may be having his best all-around year, and Brignac -- who has found his power stroke lately -- and Rodriquez have been really nice additions this season.

This Rays team is easily better than the one that went to the WS.

Realizing of course that the Red Sox have been decimated by injuries and the Rays have been largely untouched, Boston may be able to catch 'em, but they'll have to play a lot better than what I've seen lately to get it done, particularly defensively.

This weekend's Yanks-Rays series is going to be a good one, Papsrus--both of our teams playing well, though you've been beating up on better competition this week. I'm glad NY's going to miss Price and Niemann this time around... we'll have Hughes (who's continuing to struggle), Javy (who's continuing to throw well), and CC (who's been a bit rocky in his last couple of starts) against Davis, Garza, and Shields. (Though a glance at TB's "last three starts" stats shows they're all in good grooves right now--so maybe we're not so lucky to miss Price and Niemann after all.) Looks like you guys won again today, so I hope we can knock off the Indians again and maintain the two-game lead going into the series--we may well need it!

Edited by ghost of miles

Well it seems way premature for this to be the sort of career-changing injury that brought Prior down. I'd have to assume this is some sort of minor inflammation and with all the money invested, the Nats are going to be cautious. But remember, its shoulders that end careers, elbow injuries can be a new lease on life after TJ surgery, but labrum tears are rarely overcome.

Would really be a shame if he burned out this quick but its way too early for that ...

What is it about the Yankees that guarantees when they face a rookie pitcher making his first or second start in the big leagues, they invariably fold their tent. The same thing happened again tonight in Cleveland when they lost 4-1 to some guy named J. Tomlin who throws three hit ball over seven innings. I don't get it.

Well Dave, since I am an exiled Clevelander stuck in the belly of the beast - I have to listen to what the Yankees announcers say and they said the Yankees were having an off night, of course it couldn't possibly be that Josh Tomlin did one hell of a job last night. Love it when David beats Goliath. Go Tribe.

Skeith, all credit to Josh Tomlin for an excellent performance against the Yanks--and here's something interesting: the NY Times' Sean Forman did some statistical digging and discovered that the Yankees really do do worse against new pitchers than other MLB teams... over the past 10 years, anyway, a period in which NY has been the best-scoring team in baseball. Weird.

Roy Oswalt vs. Mets (5-5, 3.68 ERA), Marlins (5-4, 3.72 ERA), Nationals (3-2, 3.52 ERA) ... and Braves (0-3, 7.58 ERA in 7 starts).

Great. Just what we needed.

If the Phillies would have kept Lee and faced the Yanks again in the WS, the Phillies would have home field advantage and two pitchers that KILL the Yanks available to pitch 4-5 games of a 7 game series.

Roy Oswalt vs. Mets (5-5, 3.68 ERA), Marlins (5-4, 3.72 ERA), Nationals (3-2, 3.52 ERA) ... and Braves (0-3, 7.58 ERA in 7 starts).

Great. Just what we needed.

If the Phillies would have kept Lee and faced the Yanks again in the WS, the Phillies would have home field advantage and two pitchers that KILL the Yanks available to pitch 4-5 games of a 7 game series.

Yep. That's pretty much what I've been saying since the day that boob traded Lee for 3 toilet flushes.

Skeith, all credit to Josh Tomlin for an excellent performance against the Yanks--and here's something interesting: the NY Times' Sean Forman did some statistical digging and discovered that the Yankees really do do worse against new pitchers than other MLB teams... over the past 10 years, anyway, a period in which NY has been the best-scoring team in baseball. Weird.

I wonder if it has to do with the Yankees having more veteran players than your typical club. A team with a few younger players in the lineup may have faced the pitcher as minor leaguers. Or not. Somebody has to come out of top or bottom of these slice & dice baseball studies.

The Indians' Talbot leaving the game after 2 IP--Yanks didn't knock him out, there's something wrong, evidently.

Strained back for Talbot. NYY get 7 innings (or more) against the Tribe bullpen.

Yep, Tribe's now on their fifth pitcher, but the Yanks have managed only two runs total so far. John Sterling's gone into his home-run call at least three times so far for balls that ended up either landing foul or getting caught. <_<

EDIT: well, they did finally get to Cleveland's bullpen... after Tex and A-Rod's outs to start off the inning, the Yanks have scored 5 runs with two out and still have runners on first and third. Santana just took some kind of hard dinger off his body, but he's staying in the game.

EDIT 2: man, that was the inning that wouldn't end--Yanks ended up scoring 7 and stranding two, all with two outs. :blink:

Edited by ghost of miles

The four & five starters, plus Aardsma having a bad year, have killed the Mariners this year.

Not to mention one of the most anemic offenses in recent memory.

Their suckitude has reached epic proportions this year.

Not to rub it in, but Justin Smoak is hitting .159 since he came to the Mariners in the Cliff Lee deal.

Edited by Dave James

Not all that much different from what he was hitting. The point being, that trade was about the future and what Smoak is expected to become - which as far as I know, no one has withdrawn or reduced their projections of him as a middle of the order bona fide offensive force.

Breaking down the current Red Sox team by the Bill Simmons:

On Tuesday night in Anaheim, with a teetering Red Sox season threatening to crumble, J.D. Drew saved Boston fans from another episode of "Papelbon, P.U." by walloping a timely double. The ball bounced off the right-field wall toward Bobby Abreu, who reacted to the carom like a ghost was clubbing him from behind with a two-by-four. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (Didn't we create the DH position for guys like Abreu? I'm almost positive we did.) Two runs scored, Boston's eighth-inning lead expanded to three and when the TV crew cut to the obligatory shot of Drew pumping his fist at second base ...

Oh, wait ...

I forgot. J.D. Drew never does things like that.

Click here for the rest of the story.