2010 MLB Season

Someone needs to do John Sterling quotes. I'm sure they'd be worth a laugh.

NY baseball has had some great broadcasters. There was Russ Hodges, Vince Scully, Red Barber, Tim McCarver and Lindsey Nelson.

Also very good was Bob Murphy, Frank Moesser and Bill White. Ralph Kiner is also excellent. Hexane McCarver were a great team.

Who can forget Rizzuto, not great, but definitely unusual.

Can't think of any city with this amount of quality and please don't tell me Chicago or St. Louis; bunch of homers.

You forgot Mel Allen.

And Jim Kaat.

Tony Kubek

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone needs to do John Sterling quotes. I'm sure they'd be worth a laugh.

NY baseball has had some great broadcasters. There was Russ Hodges, Vince Scully, Red Barber, Tim McCarver and Lindsey Nelson.

Also very good was Bob Murphy, Frank Moesser and Bill White. Ralph Kiner is also excellent. Hexane McCarver were a great team.

Who can forget Rizzuto, not great, but definitely unusual.

Can't think of any city with this amount of quality and please don't tell me Chicago or St. Louis; bunch of homers.

You forgot Mel Allen.

And Jim Kaat.

Tony Kubek

Obviously different strokes for different folks, but to my mind, there is no frickin' way that Tim McCarver belongs in this conversation. Admittedly, I listen to few if any local NY broadcasts, but that guy is barruttal. Scully, Barber, Allen--much appreciated.

Yes, I forgot Mel although I was never a big fan of his.

Kott was good. Never a big Kubek fan.

McCarver may not be that great anymore but when he first came on the scene,he was like a breath of fresh air. He taught you to look at the game in a different way. When he was doing the Mets' games, he Kiner and Steve Zabriskie were great. There was a magic among them.

Ultimately, the Mets brass weren't sorry to see him go because he was very critical of them.

Congrats to Matt Garza of the Rays for the one-walk no-hitter he hurled tonight--MLB's fifth no-hitter of the season so far. At that pace the modern 1990-1991 record will fall.

What's really crazy is that the Rays have been no-hit 2 times this season and now they no-hit the Tigers who had a perfect game until.....

Good win for NY tonight, in spite of two bad calls that turned an A-Rod hit into a double-play and a Granderson double into an out. Dave James, did you notice the apparent new 8th-inning bridge of D-Rob and Logan? Have to say I was relieved that Girardi didn't bring in Joba after Javy gave up that walk to start the 8th.

And man oh man, what got into the Twins against the Royals tonight? Joe Mauer in particular.

Edited by ghost of miles

The local CSN Sportsrise ran a story on a possible Oswalt to Philly trade this morning. They were interviewing some out of town sportswriter(I didn't catch his name) but basically he said that the Phillies should stay away from Oswalt because of his back. He's already had 3 cortisone shots for a bulging disc that will require surgery at some point. No wonder why he wants that option year at $16 Million guaranteed. See ya.

The local CSN Sportsrise ran a story on a possible Oswalt to Philly trade this morning. They were interviewing some out of town sportswriter(I didn't catch his name) but basically he said that the Phillies should stay away from Oswalt because of his back. He's already had 3 cortisone shots for a bulging disc that will require surgery at some point. No wonder why he wants that option year at $16 Million guaranteed. See ya.

Oh, that makes so much sense: Send Cliff Lee packing, but pick up Oswalt... yeah, right...<_<

Verlander pitched a real nice game tonight in a losing effort. Shields had the curve ball going, but kept getting into trouble and barely wiggling his way out of it. And Soriano loaded 'em up in the 9th, but defense again saved the Ray's bacon.

Verlander was dominant for the most part, though. If not for Pena's 2-run HR in the first, he probably would have been the winner.

Interesting point in the game: Crawford was on third with two out in the top of the ninth, I think it was. Pena was at the plate and the Tigers' infield had the hard shift on for him. If he just bunts the ball down to third base it's an easy insurance run for the Rays. He's swinging all the way, though, and eventually strikes out.

Edited by papsrus

What is it about the Yankees that guarantees when they face a rookie pitcher making his first or second start in the big leagues, they invariably fold their tent. The same thing happened again tonight in Cleveland when they lost 4-1 to some guy named J. Tomlin who throws three hit ball over seven innings. I don't get it.

What is it about the Yankees that guarantees when they face a rookie pitcher making his first or second start in the big leagues, they invariably fold their tent. The same thing happened again tonight in Cleveland when they lost 4-1 to some guy named J. Tomlin who throws three hit ball over seven innings. I don't get it.

That happens with other clubs too. It's the advantage of being new with no major league video for hitters to study. Now there's video. :rhappy:

Q. Why is Seattle so bad?

A. Ryan Rowland-Smith 1-10 6.95 ERA.

Ian Snell 0-5 6.41 ERA.

David Aardsma 0-6 4.73 ERA (18 saves though)

Garret Olson 0-3 4.96 ERA

That is 1-24, a twenty-three game loss gap!

Q. How many games are the Mariners under .500?

A. 23

The four & five starters, plus Aardsma having a bad year, have killed the Mariners this year.

Their suckitude has reached epic proportions this year.

We were planning on taking the train up, catching a game one night, checking out the Hendrix museum the next. I think we'll skip the cream filling of that Oreo proposition. I've seen plenty of bad teams over the years, but even factoring in a good visiting team and Felix pitching I just don't want to pay MLB prices for this year's edition.

I've read several trade related reports the last couple of days involving Joba Chamberlain. The latest one has him in play with Toronto for reliever Scott Downs. Unfortunately, the Yankees appear unwilling to consider any deals that include him. My question is "why?" Nothing Chamberlain has done this year or last provides any evidence that he's capable of resurrecting his career in the Bronx. For sure, he'd be better off at this point any place other than in New York and the Yankees would be better off without him. Has there ever been anyone whose career has been more poorly handled by his team than this guy?

Well Dave, since I am an exiled Clevelander stuck in the belly of the beast - I have to listen to what the Yankees announcers say and they said the Yankees were having an off night, of course it couldn't possibly be that Josh Tomlin did one hell of a job last night. Love it when David beats Goliath. Go Tribe.

Edited by skeith

Oh, that makes so much sense: Send Cliff Lee packing, but pick up Oswalt... yeah, right...<_<

Don't think that the Philly faithful haven't thought the same thing. Lee was $9 million for this season and Oswalt is still owed $7 million for this season and $16M for 2011 + the 2012 option. Last night was the 80 straight sellout at home. And they didn't have enough ca$h for Lee yet they are thinking of taking on Oswalt's contract??? WTF????

Tonight begins the Domonic Brown era for the Phillies. :party: Victorino is headed to the DL so they are calling him up. Additional bonus - Vic's injury puts the end to the Werth trade rumors too.

And then tonight they turn around and absolutely destroy Carmona, chasing him after 2 2/3 IP with 10 hits and 7 earned runs. :blink: