Duke: Carnegie Hall Concerts: 1943-1947

That one's part of Storyville's "Duke Box", I think, right?

Don't have it at hand to check...

According to what I can gather, it is not!

For Duke at Carnegie in the 40s completists, there is also that 2CD on Vintage Jazz Classics from the November 13, 1948 concert

It contains what is supposed to be the only performance of 'Lush Life' by the Ellington orchestra!

If I recall correctly (I used to have it at the radio station where I worked) Billy comes on stage to accompany Kay Davis in a vocal version -- no orchestra, and no Duke.

The Storyville "Duke Box" has the first half of the '43 concert on disc 5, and the remainder takes most of disc 6.

So it IS there, thanks for confirming... I'm agonizing about the logica equina at this moment... :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

Can you confirm that there's no new material in this one? How's the packaging, liner notes, etc?

thanks

This arrived here today. All new material to these ears - great stuff!

Does it say anything about the mastering, was it newly done and if so, by whom, or did they use the old masterings?

Like has been said before these use the old remasterings. Just as the "new" Rollins and Miles boxes. So just a good way to get it all together in one place cheap.

I'd call it a missed opportunity. As I've said before the old Ellington Carnegie Hall sets sound pretty bad to my ears. Pity.

The packaging is comprised of two oversized "double CD" cases, each of which contains 4 discs. These are housed in a single cardboard slipcase.

The booklet contains facsimiles of the notes from each of the individual releases compiled here (in a rather small typeface), which leads me to infer that no unreleased or bonus material of any kind is included.

Unfortunately I can't compare these recordings to previous issues. The only thing I can say about the mastering is that they have leaned a little too heavily on denoising for my taste.

No mastering credit of any kind is provided in the set as far as I can see.

So just a good way to get it all together in one place cheap.

Can't sum it up any better than that! Glad to have it, though.

The packaging is comprised of two oversized "double CD" cases, each of which contains 4 discs. These are housed in a single cardboard slipcase.

The booklet contains facsimiles of the notes from each of the individual releases compiled here (in a rather small typeface), which leads me to infer that no unreleased or bonus material of any kind is included.

Unfortunately I can't compare these recordings to previous issues. The only thing I can say about the mastering is that they have leaned a little too heavily on denoising for my taste.

No mastering credit of any kind is provided in the set as far as I can see.

The original Prestige CD-sets were no-noised. The Sonic Solutions NoNOISE™ logo was printed on the back inserts of the sets.

• 3 weeks later...

The booklet, which compiles the previous cd editions' liner notes, which clearly state the remastering information identically to the notes in the 1991 editions, "NoNoise" and all.

These sound essentially the same as the earlier versions where I have compared on cd.

Edited by jazzbo

So the original Prestige LPs contain all of the music and none of the noise reduction?

There was no digital noise reduction when the LPs were issued in the 1970s (I think it was 1977). Sonic Solutions' NoNOISE technology, which was used on the CD reissues, was first introduced in 1987.

• 3 weeks later...

A very disappointing missed opportunity.

The original CD releases were seriously flawed for two reasons:

1) They were just straight reissues of the LP configurations. But, apart from the 1943 concert which was a 3-LP set, the others were 2-LP sets on which a number of tracks had been omitted due to the LP space limitations. But CDs have a lot more space, so those tracks should have been restored.

2) The sound on the CDs had been nonoised to death.

What they should have done is thus to restore the omitted material and to make new and good transfers that make these historical concerts justice.

That is what I have been hoping for all of these years, and to just reissue those seriously flawed CD editions is a missed opportunity that is incredibly disappointing.

Mine also arrived from jpc in Germany for 23 Euro. It is, as you can see also from the photos already provided by other poster in this thread, a local release by the Italian branch of Universal! This is why Amazon com has it for 75 USD!! A nice set of course.

Mine also arrived from jpc in Germany for 23 Euro. It is, as you can see also from the photos already provided by other poster in this thread, a local release by the Italian branch of Universal! This is why Amazon com has it for 75 USD!! A nice set of course.

Alex, 23 €??? Will you be kind enough to give us the link???

Alex, 23 €??? Will you be kind enough to give us the link???

Fron where I am now I can only use my blackberry and it is impossible to navigate nicely in the wenb with it. Please go to www.jpc.de , then choose the english language and do a search and you will immediately find it.

If in trouble let me know.

Alex

amazing:

24€ at www.jpc.de

19.34€ at www.grooves-inc.com

at the later, you might have to add something else to qualify for (worldwide, as I understand it) free shipping!

I listened this morning the initial tracks of the 1943 concert. What great music and performers; you immediately forget any remastering issues whatsoever! Attack!