Tadd Dameron- Mating call

okokokokokokokokokok

so i got a 2nd press 60s cover of Mating Call, thats instead of the yellow birds on the beach its birds in a tree: in B&W......... the lp inside has the old YELLOW ARROW labels, however they do have the new catelgogue # for the 2nd press 7247.

so that was weird i thought, the old labels on this 60s issue, is that common, however it IS the new catelgue # which changed

the deadwax of the lp itself: get this, its the same stampers as the 1st press but they SCRACTH HOT THE "7070" in the deadwax and beneth it they write in 7247, but its the SAAAAAAAAAAAME STAMPERS, of course also inscribed RVG, but theres also this little letter "B" (?)

also says AB stamped in deadwax...

what did the 3rd issue cover look like?

Edited by chewy

ID BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IF THE 3RD ISSUE IN THE 7700 SERIES HAS BOTH, THE ORIGINAL 1ST PRESS &&&&&& THE 2ND PRESS ETCHINGS SCRATCHED OUT IN THE DEADWAX, OR IF IT REPEATS THE SAME THING AS ON THE 2ND, OR IS THE 7700 SERIES ALREADY IN THE ISSUES WITH THE GREEN LABELS AND NO ORIG. STAMPERS/???

No need to shout.

The reissue in the 7700 series had new stampers since it was phony stereo.

oh god......someone at prestige made a bad decision

i just took a chance today on a very nice clean liberty issue Monk Genesis of Modern music vol. 2 thats "electronically rechanneled for stereo" as per the cover, however the blue note label on the lp just says: stereo. so im hoping for the best........

i just took a chance today on a very nice clean liberty issue Monk Genesis of Modern music vol. 2 thats "electronically rechanneled for stereo" as per the cover, however the blue note label on the lp just says: stereo. so im hoping for the best........

The title is Genius of Modern Music, "Genesis" is something quite different.

These are 1947-1952 mono recordings. Blue Note didn't record in stereo until the late 1950s.

The reissue in the 7700 series had new stampers since it was phony stereo.

oh god......someone at prestige made a bad decision

I have a nice clean volume 1 electronically reprocessed Liberty version if you want to complete the set. (I listen to the Mosaic set or to the CD.)

did i share, how all of side A, has little splatters of yellow paint on it, like real real tiny ones, but a lot of them, hardened to the vinyl--- some painter was prob. painting to coltrane (lol) and this is the result----- side b has none really but one big sploch right at the start of side b, plays fine though and not too bad for 3 bucks if u ask me---

Before the whole OJC thing, that was how you got it if you got it new 99.8% of the time....good liner notes too, iirc.

Exactly! This was THE CLASSIC type of Prestige reissue covers throughout the late 60s and all of the 70s. With these covers, you could tell Prestiges from very far afield (until the Onyx/Xanadu reissues came along that used the same basic layout, including for the liner notes ;)).

I bought my copy of Mating Call with this cover in 1976 and (being only 16 at that time) distinctly remember how I was sort of uneasy about that "far venture" into (post-bebop era) modern jazz and about what to expect in terms of unapproachable "far out" Coltrane free jazz sounds from that record (having read about him in jazz books mainly in connection with his Free period, of course, and not really being full aware of his Miles quintet period yet).

But Tadd Dameron's intriguing treatment of the tunes (he still ranks high on my jazz composer's and arranger's favorite list) really made this a fascinating and immediately acessible record that I still consider very worthwhile listening.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Before the OJC thing and before the Twofer era - I, too have some. They always complied sessions anew to complete them in contrast to the scattered release patterns of early 12 " LPs. I had the three Sonny Stitt LPs, the King Pleasure, the Bebop vocalists ... nicely produced, and yes, good liner notes. 

RVG? Who's RVG .... 

I have several - some are US versions, manufactured by Fantasy, others are UK versions, manufactured by RCA UK, Fantasy's UK licensee at the time, one is Musidisc Europe. I've no complaints about the sound on any of them and four of them are Gene Ammons sets, where decent sound is important.

MG