Do you have a single favorite jazz performance?

colinmce

I would say in fact that I do: Miles Davis Quintet, "If I Were a Bell" from Relaxin'-- it just doesn't get any better than that. Everything about it is perfect to me: Miles' blend of the sweet and the cool; a great simple arrangement; superb backing from PJJ and (especially) Mr. PC; great solos from Miles, Red and Coltrane (maybe the most melodic solo he ever laid down...someone-- I think it was Jack Chambers-- said that the solo was unexceptional and that Trane didn't do enough, but I think it's exactly what the song calls for, he sticks with the melody and just works on it a minute). Everything I love about jazz in under 10 minutes.

What about you?

Edited by colinmce

I would hesitate to say that I have a single favorite recorded jazz performance, but when I read the thread title, my mind instantly flashed on take one of "Embraceable You" by Charlie Parker.

That IS my favourite Parker (I assume it's the same take as on "Bird symbols").

But, like you, there are so many I think of as favourites. I automatically thought of "Southern exposure" by Fred Jackson, when I saw the thread title.

(Oh no! It's not "Embraceable you" at all - it's "Bird of paradise" :crazy: )

MG

Getting it down to one performance is a pretty tall order, but I'm very happy with what's already been chosen. The Davis/Coltrane/Garland/Chambers/Philly quintet are the tops for me, too and I don't have to be persuaded about the supremacy of "Ko Ko" and "Embraceable You". I'll just introduce a variant by saying my ultimate track is also from the"Ko Ko" session and is an incomplete warm-up for "Ko Ko" on "Ko Ko"/"Cherokee" changes called "Warming Up a Riff". The atmosphere is totally relaxed, musicians are heard calling out and laughing and the music is electric as Parker blows his heart out. Anyone know it?

Guest Bill Barton

I'd have to go with John Coltrane's original version of "My Favorite Things" on Atlantic because it was one of the things that kept me (relatively) sane at a time and place that was stressful to say the least (Vietnam-1970).

Ray Brown/Gene Harris/Jeff Hamilton, "Summertime" - the live recording issued on BAM BAM BAM but most especially their performance at the Blue Note in 1988 or 89 when I saw them. It was the drive and excitement captured on the CD but raised to heights I didn't think existed. Totally brought the house down - and then Ray Brown brought the house down again when he said "you keep playing that piano like that, its gonna follow you home."

I think its safe to say that was the moment I became the Gene Harris Fanatic.

two immediately come to mind for me personally. i always come back to them as being a couple of my very favorite performances:

1) George Adams' solo on "For Harry Carney." to me it's one of the greatest tenor solos of all-time.

2) no doubt considered an odd choice, but Don Grolnick's "Chime This" from the Brecker album. the whole tune and especially the intro. amazing writing/performance.

Lester Young's 'These Foolish Things' (the Aladdin version)

That is one of my absolute favorites as well. On the subject of Embraceable You, my favorite might be the JATP 1949 version with both Bird and Pres playing back-to-back extended solos. Bliss.

I'd have to go with John Coltrane's original version of "My Favorite Things" on Atlantic because it was one of the things that kept me (relatively) sane at a time and place that was stressful to say the least (Vietnam-1970).

I'll go along with that, because it was what hooked me on jazz in the first place.