vacation ideas within 400 miles east/west of Minneapolis

My wife and I will be driving up to Minneapolis (from Kansas City) sometime later this year for an event - and we're thinking of extending our visit by about a week for some vacation/r&r. Trouble is, we've already been to the Twin Cities several times (most recently just last summer), and we already spent close to a week in and around Madison, WI on that same trip (last summer) too.

We've also already seen most of Iowa over the years (except for maybe far, far western IA).

1) Should we go east to Milwaukee and Racine, and other stuff all around there in far eastern WI??

2) Or go west through western Minnesota, and then down through Souix Falls, Souix City, and Omaha??

3) Or are there other ideas we're overlooking?? Bring 'em on!

Note: I'm guessing we probably don't want to go 400 miles north of Minneapolis, since that'll just double our drive-time back to Kansas City. But we could probably go as much as 100+ miles north.

PS: Don't want to get into exactly when this trip might be (since this is a public board and all (nothing like broadcasting to potential thieves when you won't be home for a long period of time)), but suffice to say it won't be during the dead of winter.

Other considerations: We're history and museum junkies. We're also BIG fans of historic architecture, especially Prairie Style and other early 20th and mid-century moderne styles. We also like staying in B&B's.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

For me, it'd be easy: Madison, WI (270 miles). Or, if North was still an option, Edmonton. Depends, of course, on when you're going.

Madison appeals to me as a college town. Coffee, books, records, music, libraries....that's how I spend my free time. But I get it: you've just been there.

Minneapolis locals (like I should be speaking for them: WD? You out there?) seem to like going up to the lakeside towns in the Duluth area. Less distance=less driving=more fun.

If it were me, I'd go to a Winnipeg Blue Bombers game. I've never been to Manitoba, and I understand that it is great camping country.

Don't forget that up that way is Hormel's International Spam Museum. It's on the interstate. I drove past it once, but i wasn't in the mood to stop. It's something that everyone back home could appreciate!

I grew up in north central Wisconsin and now live in Kansas City.

I recommend Door County, Wisconsin, which is very scenic, and set up extremely well for visitors. The natural water, sand beaches, and forest will be very different, and very appealing, to someone from Kansas City. It will be very different, and much, much better, than the Lake of the Ozarks. Door County has the hotels, restaurants, and visitor activities all set up, from years of hosting tourists. But it is not too "touristy".

http://www.doorcounty.com

http://www.doorcounty.com/outdoor/beaches.aspx

On the way, you could stop in Green Bay and see Lambeau Field and the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame museum. I am not kidding. It is a first class museum, better than many national museums on many topics. As a museum on the early history of the NFL, it is hard to beat.

http://www.lambeaufield.com/hall_of_fame/visit_the_hall_of_fame/

Northern Wisconsin has many beautiful lakes and forests, but it would be somewhat hit and miss regarding the accomodations and activities. Some of the lakes and forests are just that, with no real set up for visitors. You would have to research it, to just drive into the forest and lake country of Northern Wisconsin. Door County has the beauty and the established facilities and activities for visitors.

If you are going to Milwaukee while Summerfest is going on, that would be worth going to. Summerfest is a massive outdoor music festival, with all genres of music represented, including jazz. Otherwise Milwaukee has about the same level of attractions as Kansas City, different attractions to be sure, but it is not really a tourist destination, as Kansas City is not. But if you could combine Summerfest with Milwaukee's attractions, that would be worth a visit.

Racine is not a place I would visit on a vacation.

Edited by Hot Ptah

PS: Don't want to get into exactly when this trip might be (since this is a public board and all (nothing like broadcasting to potential thieves when you won't be home for a long period of time)), but suffice to say it won't be during the dead of winter.

I wouldn't worry about this place.......I'd worry about filling out/submitting the 'hold mail' card so that all the postal employees in the sorting room know when you'll be gone. :ph34r:

......also, check out the MN Arrowhead region.....nice scenic drive up towards Grand Marais. Stay at the Lutsen Resort (in Lutsen) and take the gondola up the mountain (small)......maybe play a round of golf at Superior National Golf course overlooking Lake Superior and lose 2 dozen balls that'll ping-pong around the birch trees if you're even 3 feet off the fairway!