Trombonists and the joie de vivre

Dan Gould

Paul,

I tried to respond to your question but AOL quit on me right as I was posting. I was curious about Jenney, and a search led me to this (the "About Jack Jenney" page is impressive in its detail):

JACK JENNEY

Changing the subject, are you (or anyone else reading this) very familiar with Phil Wilson? I had heard his name a few times over the years, and then I heard J.J. rave about him in his interview with Marian McPartland. I guess he's more known as a big band player and teacher (at Berklee), but he's got a few recordings out as a leader on some small labels. I've never come across any of them- LP's or CD's. I take it his technique is prodigious...

Thanks for the link, Jim. I guess I could have done that search myself, but I'd rather hear what you guys have to say.

Phil Wilson is indeed a freak. He has great high chops and has dabbled in many interesting techniques such as singing while playing. This is a technique mastered by Albert Mangelsdorff- you play one note while singing another, and often in addition to the two notes heard, there is a third (or more)"sympathetic vibration" pitch that is audible, creating 3 or more voice chords. Someone who has more knowledge of physics could explain this better than me.

Anyway, there is some good footage of Phil w/Woody's band on one of those "Jazz Casual" videos. He plays with a rather bizarre embouchure, kind of off to the side, but he does some freaky things. I think he recorded some things that are out of print on the Famous Door label?

I think of him as a logical extension of Bill Harris, another Woody veteran. He swings hard like Bill.

I think he recorded some things that are out of print on the Famous Door label?

Yes, I think that's right (one album that I know of). He also recorded a few for a label called "Shiah" (sp?) and a CD for Capri (Wizard of Oz theme). Someday I'm going to have to track down one of his own things.

Thanks for the info.

I recently gave my brother (who played guitar for 30+ years before taking up the bone about 5 years ago) a 1995 CD on Concord by a player named Robert Trowers. Three other bone players participated on some of the tracks- Al Grey, Slide Hampton and Fred Wesley. I heard it, and it's pretty interesting. I had never heard of Trowers, and he may have been the most impressive player on this CD! I believe he was in the Basie band for awhile. Anyway, I would recommend this.

I recently gave my brother (who played guitar for 30+ years before taking up the bone about 5 years ago) a 1995 CD on Concord by a player named Robert Trowers.  Three other bone players participated on some of the tracks- Al Grey, Slide Hampton and Fred Wesley.  I heard it, and it's pretty interesting.  I had never heard of Trowers, and he may have been the most impressive player on this CD!  I believe he was in the Basie band for awhile.  Anyway, I would recommend this.

Yes, I heard this, it's good. I believe it's Robin Trowers, isn't it? He was brave to play with those guys, but he did pretty well.

Edit: I just checked and you're right, Jim- it's Robert Trowers. My bad.

Edited by Free For All

Anyway, there is some good footage of Phil w/Woody's band on one of those "Jazz Casual" videos. He plays with a rather bizarre embouchure, kind of off to the side, but he does some freaky things. I think he recorded some things that are out of print on the Famous Door label?

I have several of those Phil Wilson Lp's on Famous Door. The best one IMHO is the quitet date he made with Vic Dickenson. Without looking, I believe the title is NY-Boston Axis. A great date with two contrasting but very complementary trombone styles.

During some of Phil's time on Woody's band the second 'bone was a guy named

Henry Southall. I think he almost upstaged Phil at times, playing in a brash Dixieland meets bebop style.

Talk about your three-cushion billiard shots, Jack Jenney's onetime wife, singer and vocal coach Kay Thompson, later went on to write the very popular "Eloise" books, about the hoydenish little girl who lived at the Plaza Hotel. In case you want to see Thompson in action (apparently she was quite a load) she gives a memorable performance in the movie "Funny Face," with Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn, playing a fashion magazine editor named Maggie Prescott.

I love the trombone. The thing about it is it's sound, nothing quite has the same crackling brassy projection, especially close up. I got my first taste of the sound sitting about five feet away and directly in front of JJ and Kai. More recently I've been in the line of fire from Robin Eubanks and Jeb Bishop. The energy and overtones always to get lost with distance and amplification.

Edited by JohnS