New Yorker bargain

Wow, was not aware of these kind of products existed, would love to see the same with jazz or cinéma magazine and why not some sports magazine like Sports Illustrated or the Ring.

I, too, would love the complete SI on dvd. Hard to believe that there was an era is sports where an important game, or series was played, and it wasn't on tv, especially baseball. You would have to wait for SI to come out to read a detailed account of what happened. *Sigh* I feel like a dinosaur... I'm going have to get this New Yorker set.

35.90$ for me (that is, 18 for the DVD-rom, 18 for shipping) - just got me one, thanks Chris!

:D:tup

$35.90 for me too. I was looking at the standard shipping options list and pretty well everything there was $40 and up. $17.95 at the checkout is more like it.

Hope the post-lady can carry it !

Edited by sidewinder

Wow, was not aware of these kind of products existed, would love to see the same with jazz or cinéma magazine and why not some sports magazine like Sports Illustrated or the Ring.

I, too, would love the complete SI on dvd. Hard to believe that there was an era is sports where an important game, or series was played, and it wasn't on tv, especially baseball. You would have to wait for SI to come out to read a detailed account of what happened. *Sigh* I feel like a dinosaur... I'm going have to get this New Yorker set.

If you get into the SI vault on their site you can find the integral versions of vintages SI. :party:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/7644/index.htm

Edited by Van Basten II

The company that partnered with the New Yorker to produce that set, Bondi Digital, also has produced a set containing a complete run of Rolling Stone and all of the 50s issues of Playboy. After an initial splash with those sets amid much talk of further projects, there wasn't much in the way of news for several years, leading me to believe that Bondi had fallen on hard times (especially after seeing all of the earlier sets remaindered and widely available for cheap).

However, I just stumbled across this, and even though the announcement is a year old, I'm hopeful that the later sets will see the light of day, as I've really wanted the 60s Playboy issues ever since I first heard about the 50s set.

SI would be fantastic as well, and without trying very hard I'm sure I could come up with dozens of other periodicals that I'd love to see get the digital treatment. The only drawback is that it's unfortunate that Bondi chose a proprietary file format, but that's not too surprising. I have to wonder how usable their sets will be with the computers and OSes in use ten years from now. I suppose there will always be emulators that can address issues of backwards compatibility.

Dave you may have not read my previous post but the SI are available directly on their site, so I doubt CD Roms will be done for this reason.

Wow, I hadn't checked out the link yet when I posted that, and didn't realize that they were offering the complete run on their site. And at no charge, to boot. Amazing.

The dumbass of the day goes to the UPS guy who delivered the package in my mailbox, as Chuck mentionned the content is rather large and my mailbox is about 4 inches deep. So the delivery guy let the box inside the mailbox, crashing the letters already inside it and letting the box visible to about everyone in the street. Fortunately it was still there when I arrived after work but still...

• 1 month later...

My New Yorker set has finally arrived ! (after being returned to NYC due to problems with delivery - then returned OK). Unfortunately there was a corner ding on the book on receipt - however the New Yorker people have shipped another book straight out. Great service ! :tup

• 3 years later...

So I finally got around to getting into this in a major way. Like other users, I found that I had to copy all the DVDs over to my harddrive in order for it to make it functional. However, I find that some of the DVDs were a bit scuffed and don't work as well as I would like. (I'm actually picking up a set on eBay for about $3 to see if those are any better.)

Anyway, my question is if anyone went ahead and downloaded the missing issues (one from Sept. 1947 and then quite a few from 1989). Perhaps not surprisingly the New Yorker doesn't seem to support this functionality any longer (6 or so years on). I'm not sure if there are any other real options. Thanks.