Ornette at 80

brownie

Now let's get this straight. Ornette's birthday is March 9, and it's February 27 today. And his 80th birthday is next March 9? That makes him 78 years old plus 50 weeks and a couple of days. I don't need a reason to listen to Ornette today, he's great every day. He's younger than Cecil Taylor and much younger than Elliott Carter. Happy not quite 79th birthday, Ornette.

Now let's get this straight. Ornette's birthday is March 9, and it's February 27 today. And his 80th birthday is next March 9? That makes him 78 years old plus 50 weeks and a couple of days. I don't need a reason to listen to Ornette today, he's great every day. He's younger than Cecil Taylor and much younger than Elliott Carter. Happy not quite 79th birthday, Ornette.

wiki:

"Ornette Coleman (born March 9, 1930) is an American saxophonist, violinist, trumpeter and composer. He was one of the major innovators of the free jazz movement of the 1960s."

• 2 weeks later...

As Ornette is now about 80 (or whatever he really is) do we now call his music "derrière garde"?

Whatever, I still don't like his alto playing. I only like his trumpet playing on the session with Jackie Mac (which Miles hated, according to the interview with Chris).

Edited by Shrdlu

As Ornette is now about 80 (or whatever he really is) do we now call his music "derrière garde"?

Whatever, I still don't like his alto playing. I only like his trumpet playing on the session with Jackie Mac (which Miles hated, according to the interview with Chris).

Insightful as always.

Not intended to be. Just one guy's opinion.

(By the way, I did buy all the Atlantic LPs, and made myself sit through them all.)

Happy Birthday Ornette! Does anyone think we will ever see re-releases on his post-Atlantic material? Artists House, Prime Time, etc.? It is a shame that most of that stuff is not readily available. I could envision a few box sets....

• 1 year later...