Muntu 3 disc reissue

Stefan Wood

Muntu_box.gif

Just got this in the mail last Friday. Haven't played the music yet, but read the nice book that comes with it that has an overview of the New York city loft jazz scene. A nice complement to the George Lewis book. 3 cds and book enclosed in a slipcase. One can get it here.

Edited by Stefan Wood

this looks such an intriguing release. I'd love to hear your impressions of the music when you've listened some more, Stefan. I'm also interested to know about the quality of the live recordings - i'm no audiophile so as long as the music comes through that's more important to me. The sampled soundclips sound good enough

I listened to the first disc - titled First Feedings. Three tracks, lasting just under 40 minutes. The sound quality is excellent. My first impression is that this is powerful and muscular music. Everyone is playing at full speed, with a vitality and skill that grabs you from the start and never lets go. It's not explosive like Frank Wright, as deeply spiritual as Ayler or Pharoah Sanders, or even as intellectual as Sam Rivers, but more direct and with weight. Everyone is on their game here, and it is thrilling to hear. I'll get to the other discs tomorrow.

adding this with a spoiler alert as the link takes you to a very interesting article which I think is also included in the booklet so if you want to have it fresh and new from your booklet don't read this http://www.pointofde...PoD27Muntu.html

but if you're just interested to know more....

That was pretty interesting, thanks for posting.

I listened to the first disc - titled First Feedings. Three tracks, lasting just under 40 minutes. The sound quality is excellent. My first impression is that this is powerful and muscular music. Everyone is playing at full speed, with a vitality and skill that grabs you from the start and never lets go. It's not explosive like Frank Wright, as deeply spiritual as Ayler or Pharoah Sanders, or even as intellectual as Sam Rivers, but more direct and with weight. Everyone is on their game here, and it is thrilling to hear. I'll get to the other discs tomorrow.

Stefan, thanks for these impressions - feel this is becoming a 'must buy'

I'm happy to say that I provided some photos from Studio Rivbea for the booklet.

I just got this over the weekend and haven't listened to the music, but it's a excellent presentation!

1st Class all the way.

Cool! Didn't notice yet as I just flipped through. But allow me to say I enjoy your photos a lot!

Many of them come from an era when jazz got less and less public attention and hence they document a lesser known era too (to a late-comer such as me, at least, who's familiar with tons of 50s and 60s photographs by Wolff et.al.)