Abbey Road studios up for sale!

brownie

Story link not requiring a login: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100216/ap_en_mu/eu_britain_abbey_road

One line in this article got me to chuckle: "Abbey Road is one of the company's most high-profile assets, as both a recording studio and a tourist attraction for Beatles fans."

Tourist attraction? They've obviously never tried visiting this "tourist attraction". I took the Tube to Abbey Road Studios during a London vacation in 1998. It was not a short trip. All the way there, my wife was telling me how much time we were wasting to see a "stupid recording studio". We had trouble finding it too. There are no signs directing you there and when you finally find it, it looks like a regular house in the middle of a neighborhood. I went in the front door expecting some kind of lobby/shop where I could buy a coffee mug or something and instead I was faced with a very snotty receptionist who basically kicked me out. She wouldn't even let me take a picture of the front desk. "We are a working recording studio, not a tourist shop".

No souvenirs. No pictures. No nothing! Well, not nothing: I did get a picture of me in "the crosswalk". :)

Baker's shop.

greggs-thumb.jpg

According to the news today Abbey Road is up for sale because of EMI's plunging profits.

Couldn't they have sold Robbie Williams instead?

He got a lifetime achievement award at some industry love-in yesterday. Lifetime? He must be all of 15.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Yeah, Greggs baker shops (lots of cheap stodge). Springing up everywhere - typical recession trend.

Latest news this morning is that the National Trust are looking into buying Abbey Wood Studios for the Nation. As an NT fee paying member this gets my unqualified :tup and sits well with their other music portfolio items including Lennon's childhood home.

According to the news today Abbey Road is up for sale because of EMI's plunging profits.

That Guy Hands assset-stripping idiot. Hope he completely loses his shirt. :tdown

Edited by sidewinder

Latest news this morning is that the National Trust are looking into buying Abbey Wood Studios for the Nation. As an NT fee paying member this gets my unqualified :tup and sits well with their other music portfolio items including Lennon's childhood home.

Well, that's a relief. Instead of Greggs we'll have a nice Laura Ashley tea shoppe.

Well, that's a relief. Instead of Greggs we'll have a nice Laura Ashley tea shoppe.

With an attached plant shoppe !

With an attached plant shoppe !

I'm not sure they'd be allowed to sell the sort of plants the Beatles got their inspiration from in the mid 60s!