Rock lps that make you glad you have a turntable

jazzhound

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kinda simple really: If it was recorded before, let's say, 1975, it should be listened to on vinyl. There are very few (and really I can't think of any offhand) rock albums from that era that do not sound better on vinyl than CD.

some 70's rock stuff that will never make it on CD:

- Ray Manzareks Nite City LP's

- Some UK Band called Charlie who's CD re-releases were so bad...

- some german stuff from a band called Lake (where only some compilation has been re-issued on CD)

- All my Pat Metheny ECM's

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

all my Elvis Costello, Rollingstones and other LPs sound significantly better than their CD counterparts. Why did I give up on LPs so easily !!!!! ( poor pressings and cheap TT)

Not sure how much I'd have to spend to bring the sound of my CD up to my relatively humble Rega P3. Probably £1500 plus

True-life Spinal Tap-type moment, mid 80s: Late at the Rat, watching Eric Martin of Neats; during the excruciatingly loud finale, w/ Buck and Mills sitting in for a song or two (REM had played the Orpheum earlier that eve), giddy Martin bent over and stuck his stringy haired head through the legs of a fellow Neat. He lifted his mate so high, this guy smashed his head into the low ceiling, though Martin had no idea. Fans aghast and then hysterical. A great image in my mind from the lovely Rat.

Edited by AmirBagachelles

• 2 years later...

Everything Neil Young has done since about '95 (when he returned to analog recording) has sounded better on vinyl (particularly Broken Arrow and Greendale!)

Some sealed copies of Mirrorball "appeared" at my local mom n pop record store. On the back cover, it had the "HDCD" logo... :blush::blink::unsure:

It was rock music that got me back into the turntable, after over 16 years of buying CDs. Specifically, Robert Pollard and Guided by Voices had been releasing vinyl only stuff, demos, official "boots," and side-projects. I enjoyed listening to that stuff so much, I started buying the other rock artists I enjoy on vinyl too. Unlike most jazz labels, the independent rock labels are big on vinyl. Matador, Merge, Jagjaguwar, Secretly Canadian, Barsuk, and Luna are just a few of the indie rock labels putting out vinyl.

This year Matador has been using the RTI pressing plant, and their releases are absolutely gorgeous. Cat Power "The Greatest," Belle and Sebastian "The Life Pursuit," Mission of Burma "The Obliterati" are the ones I have, and the packaging, the thickness of the vinyl, and the sound are wonderful. I'm really looking foward to the new Yo La Tengo "I'm Not Afraid of You, and I Can Beat Your Ass" in Sept. It should be the finest vinyl release ever for them, quality wise.

Every week I check out the new releases at the local independent, and there's always a stack of brand new vinyl. I'm getting "Rather Ripped" by Sonic Youth on my next trip. And as I type, Luna Music in Indiana is shipping the latest Pollard projects on vinyl, The Keene Brothers "Blues and Boogie Shoes," The Takeovers "Turn to Red," and Psycho and the Birds "All That Is Holy." I'm geeked!

Edited by Werf

Really? Well, I'm pretty sure this was a single disc. I may go back to check.

How's yer 2-Lp set sound?

It sounds good to me, but then my system isn't special and my turntable is a very cheap, non-adjustable Denon. It sounded better on my old Hitachi from the 70s! I'd like to hear Year of the Horse and Silver and Gold on vinyl, if I could ever find them

My country rock lps by New Riders of the Purple Sage, Grateful Dead, Great Speckled Bird, Byrds, Ian Matthews....

Canned Heat; Fleetwood Mac when it was Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan; John Mayall Back to the Roots

Savoy Brown, Hellbound Train

Rockpile, Seconds of Pleasure

Neil Young, Harvest and On the Beach

Band, Big Pink and brown album

Got just about all of Fahey if that counts

• 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and get rid of your turntables.

WHY? All of us have CD players, probably audio-tape players, sound-systems for our computers with downloaded music AND I-Pods.

And yet, there are still collections of fine music, even rare music available only on vinyl.

YOU do yourself a favour and get a nice turntable. :cool: