Rock lps that make you glad you have a turntable

jazzhound

Alan Parsons Tales of Mystery and Imagination

f60115rqzc4.jpg

For the CD reissue, Alan Parsons - always the perfectionist - has not only remastered the tapes but also re-recorded some parts (drums, guitar solos) and added some new (digital) sound effect. I never liked this hybrid production and I'm happy I have the old LP, which also has a nice 8 page booklet.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa!

Excellent selections by Dave James:

Blodwyn Pig

Nick Drake

The Who Live at Leeds

Iron Butterfly

Vanilla Fudge

Dan Hicks & the Hot Licks

Sons of Champlin

the very first ZZ Top album

pre-soft rock Fleetwood Mac

Excellent selections by jacman:

The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper

Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland (nekkid cover)

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown-The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

The Band-Rock Of Ages

Let me add a few more:

Animals - "Winds of Change"

Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger - "Street Noise"

Elvis Costello - "This Year's Model" (English release - different cover)

The Doors - first album

Jethro Tull - "This Was"

Excellent selections by jacman:

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown-The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

thanks.

ya know i never get bored with this album. i was watching VH-1 Classic the other day and they played a clip (B&W) of them doing "Fire" on some TV show. the lip-sync was awful, but they were going crazy on stage. it was a hoot. :lol:

* dylan "john wesley harding" MONO

That was released in MONO? :huh: Wow! Never knew that!

* john fahey "live in tasmania"

My dad has a couple of his early Takoma albums (Blind Joe Death and Dance of Death and Other Plantation Favorites), both of which smoke the CD reissues. In fact, the CD reissue of DOD lops off the first strum of one of the tracks, can't remember which one.

BFrank - Thanks for the props. I didn't think anyone else would remember Blodwyn Pig. Does Augur's "Streetnoise" include the tune "Ellis Island"? Man, I sure remember that one.

Dave - yes it DOES have "Ellis Island", not to mention "Light My Fire", "All Blues" and "Save the Country". A very interesting selection of tunes over all. And definitely ahead of its time (1969).

I got into Blodwyn Pig because I was an early fan of Jethro Tull, so it was natural to pick up this spin-off group at the time.

Props to Chris Olivarez for Fraternity of Man, Credibility Gap and the Pentangle. Although I don't actually remember the FoM that well, I know that I saw them at least once.

The Credibility Gap = Harry Shearer. Now there's a NO-BRAINER!

Pentangle - I'm a late convert, but they're definitely great.

What can you say about "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown". A stone-cold classic, if there ever was one. Weird, hip, jazzy, cool, spacy, trippy........all rolled into one wild ROCK album.

i think i just crapped myself... did Weizen just mention DMZ ** AND ** The Real Kids?!

they're all pushin' 50 or past it but still great. a pal of mine, a brilliant singer-songwriter & rocker outta Louisiville these days, Paul K., played with-- get this-- Jaco Pastorius, the guy who was the Real Kids bassist, Allan "Alpo" Paulino AND Rashied Ali (yeah, that one), when all of 'em were junked out in early '80s LES (not all at the same time, of course.)

Weizen: he was once a free man.

Come back back from the dark side, brother. Mono Man still loves you.

clem

Used to catch them all down Kenmore Square at The Rat. Some great memories in that place...you ever go? That Real Kids guitarist (Billy) was a serious wild man and a waste case to boot. I think the last time I saw those boys, they got into some wild beer pitcher swinging melee with a couple of nitwits in the front who'd tossed a little suds their way. You know who produced the DMZ lp? Flo & Eddie. Long live 'Cinderella' and 'Don't Jump me Mother' are personal favs. Mono Mann should still love me....I was the only guy south of the Mason-Dixon line who ever spun his LP (religiously) on air! :g

I’ll have to second and third The Band’s Music From Big Pink. I just love the putting the needle down and hearing the opening chords to Tears of Rage. I also really enjoy listening to my LP copy of Van Morrison’s Hard Nose the Highway. Now, all I need is to upgrade to a Rega P3 and I would be a very happy man. Well, there are a lot of other things I would like, but for now this will do. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Led Zepellin - #1

Deep Purple - Shades of Deep Purpe

Traffic - Traffic

Al Cooper - Super Jam

Santana- Abraxas

Cream - Goodbye

Heart - Little Queen

Rolling Stones - Got Live If You Want It

Renaissance - Turn of The Cards

B Frank- I saw the Crazy World Of Arthur Brown along with the Fraternity Of Man in concert-now there was a show!!! Brown would do costume changes during the show and while he was offstage-Vincent Crane on the B3, Carl Palmer on drums and the bassist whose name escapes me would play and they absolutely wailed!!!Arthur Brown was a pretty strange cat even then but in a cool way. I had the album at one time-it didn't do justice to the live show-but I'm still sorry I no longer have it.

I just thought of another album that I have that makes me glad I have access to a turntable Johnny Otis-"Cutting Up".

• 4 months later...