Local Albany, NY Big Band Release

thedwork

shameless promotion of a friend's band which has just put out a new recording (w/ one track by myself: "Renee"):

keithpraysbse.jpg

you can hear clips (and purchase) here:

Big Soul Ensemble Live At The Lark Tavern

it says it's 'experimental' in the write up, but i myself wouldn't call it that. it certainly isn't the ICP. but there's some real nice stuff on there and the fact that Keith has organized a consistent monthly big band gig (3 years strong now!) w/ good players who show up and people who come out to hang is way cool. shout out to Mr. Pray!

Edited by thedwork

Great to see big bands continue to exist, especially on the local level. I love writing for big band, it's such a big palette of color and harmony. I've learned so much about playing from writing and arranging.

I listened to the samples- the band sounds good, and I especially like your tune, the arrangement sounds beautiful. Congrats to Mr. Pray- please invite him to come join us!

Edited by Free For All

shameless promotion of a friend's band which has just put out a new recording (w/ one track by myself: "Renee"):

keithpraysbse.jpg

you can hear clips (and purchase) here:

Big Soul Ensemble Live At The Lark Tavern

it says it's 'experimental' in the write up, but i myself wouldn't call it that. it certainly isn't the ICP. but there's some real nice stuff on there and the fact that Keith has organized a consistent monthly big band gig (3 years strong now!) w/ good players who show up and people who come out to hang is way cool. shout out to Mr. Pray!

Find out if he'd be interested in having me write a review...

Great to see big bands continue to exist, especially on the local level. I love writing for big band, it's such a big palette of color and harmony. I've learned so much about playing from writing and arranging.

I listened to the samples- the band sounds good, and I especially like your tune, the arrangement sounds beautiful. Congrats to Mr. Pray- please invite him to come join us!

thanks free for all. they did a very good job on my piece and put in a lot of work. it's not the kinda chart you can get a good take on in the first read through - unless you're the Vanguard Orchestra or something.

i'll drop him a line and see if he'd wanna check out the thread and say hello here at the forum. good suggestion :tup

Find out if he'd be interested in having me write a review...

you've got a PM...

Looks like I should get my butt up to Albany soon. :D

i hear you. but don't come up on the evening of feb. 18th, 'cuz that's when i wish i was living down in your neighborhood. three of my favorite musicians in the world are playing in a tiny cafe (i did an interview w/ one of them there) in preparation for a record date later this month:

REBECCA MARTIN

Featuring

Bill McHenry (Tenor Saxophone)

Larry Grenadier (Acoustic Bass)

Twas the night before our record date...

Thursday, February 18th, 2010

7:00pm

Gabriels Café

50 John Street

Kingston, NY

845/338-7161

be there! and then tell me about it :g

Edited by thedwork

Hey all, I'm actually a member of the band on the CD and have been with them since a couple months after the band's inception...thanks to those of you who have checked the record out and enjoyed it! Our next show is the first Tuesday in March, first set at 9:00 PM...we've added a few new charts since the record was made (including a nice rhythm changes chart by thedwork) and have been working them out in addition to the ones on the CD. Keith has done a really great job getting the cream of the Albany jazz crop (both players and writers) together to realize this project and develop it into something special.

Hey all, I'm actually a member of the band on the CD and have been with them since a couple months after the band's inception...thanks to those of you who have checked the record out and enjoyed it! Our next show is the first Tuesday in March, first set at 9:00 PM...we've added a few new charts since the record was made (including a nice rhythm changes chart by thedwork) and have been working them out in addition to the ones on the CD. Keith has done a really great job getting the cream of the Albany jazz crop (both players and writers) together to realize this project and develop it into something special.

good to see you here milestones! yeah, keith mentioned to me that you guys were checking out my rhythm chart. there's a few things i'd like to tweek ('fix') on that one but i just don't have the time. i wrote it back in '93 and i'd do some stuff differently now. i'm really happy you guys are playing though! there's some nice stuff in there. i remember being real happy w/ the sax soli.