A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begging your pardon, Deep, not to veer of on a non-nicknamiacal course, but what's the story on the breakup of Maynard's big band in the 60s? I've heard that Maynard lost his high chops, was too strung out to go on leading a big group, and a few other tales of woe. I figure you're the cat to ask.

ANGRY,

Maynard was actually living with Timothy Leary and experimenting with hallucinegenic drugs. His band was not getting much work (weekends mostly at colleges etc.). He was so out of it he was performing barefooted. His wife Flo was as far out as he was. She now is struggling with Alzheimers disease I've been told.

He decided to bag it and went to India and lived with some Guru. From there he got back to playing in Europe and then re-entered the U.S. with his British Band and then on into the U.S. transition.

Christiern,

CAREY....I know...I hadn't had my first taste of the day yet.

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

Patricia -- Unless you're talking about Luckey Roberts' ability to stretch a fourteenth, he was by no means a "huge" man. See the cover to the marvelous album "Harlem Piano: Solos by Luckey Roberts and Willie 'The Lion' Smith" (OJC). Roberts is on the right, more than a head shorter than Smith. In fact, the one word that might describe Roberts is "squat."

WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN' ON HERE??

I WANNA TALK ABOUT PRURIENT PURSUITS AND ALL I'M HEARIN' ABOUT IS SOBRIQUETS.

IN SHORT: JUMP THREAD!!

THIS THREAD IS MY THREAD AND IT'S ABOUT GETTIN' LAID....DIG???

ANYONE WITH OTHER INTERESTS....ABANDON THREAD!!!.....DUH !!

DEEP

OK, OK, OK.......I'LL COME CLEAN ON MY SOBRIQUET.;

I was on Maynard Ferguson's Band and we called for a *FILE STOP* (Missile knows what that is)..but for the record...the bus pulls off to the side of the road and the band *FILES OUT* and pisses.

One night we pulled off to the side of the road and I was pissing over a bridge. Next to me was the piano player, Alan Zavod. He had the balls to say, "That water is cold", to which I replied "IT'S DEEP TOO" !!!!

DEEP

So, when people call you "DEEP", they are making subtle reference to the depth and temperature of the river below a bridge on the side of the road, over which a group of musicians were pissin' ?? I'm sure that many here would love to have Zavod's and apparEntly your unique tailoring problems. :blink::blink::lol:

I haven't visited this site for a while, but discovered this thread tonight. Wow!

Damn, but I could swear that Richard Pryor created the scenario involving the punch line "... and it's deep, too!" Sorry, but I don't have a clue as to how the word "deep" might reference temperature, either.

I'm also trying to justify the silly explanation of depth/length vs. "girth" with respect to this gag. Doesn't work for me, but then I'm not really interested in penises.

The naiveté exhibited on this thread is, often, staggering!

"Think, then post." - Larry Nagel

I see Thorne of Crowns has thrown his hat in the ring. Now the sparks will fly. He was one of my biggest detractors at THE WOD'S (Webmistress of Death) Borehouse [JAZZ CORNER].

Here's a Maynard Ferguson story that should set Thorne aflame:

My roommate for the year 1974 on Maynard's band was the piano player, Alan Zavod. Now this cat was bi sexual (tri sexual if there is such thing). Nothing phased this mug.

We used to do what we called tours i.e. go out for 4 or 5 months and then take a couple weeks off. One time our tour was finishing up in Baltimore. Zavod had copped this gorgeous Negro chickie. Back at the hotel after the gig the halls were buzzin' with guys in the band saying their goodbyes etc. In the room that Zavod and I were sharing there he was on the other bed pumpin' this chickie's "ass full of jass". I heard all the commotion out in the hall and asked the guys if they had said goodbye to Zavod. Of course they hadn't so I ushered them into the room and Zavod didn't miss a hump. He shook hands with all the cats, one by one, and just kept on pounding away. I believe he even introduced the chickie to each of them during the farewell process. Man, that was one wild ass band.

I got a call from Andy Mackintosh, the alto player on that band, from London a couple weeks ago. We were laughing our asses off over the phone recalling that incident.

DEEP

I caught a show about Willie The Lion on one of the PBS cable channels over the w.e. Willie was a pretty big guy. In the Great Day in Harlem pic, he towers over Luckey Roberts, who was a shorty, but also seems to be higher than most. Actually, the pic of Lion was taken becore the famous pic for Esquire was shot. Lion go tires and was sitting on a stoop next to the crowd.

Muddy Waters, 'tricia?

I caught a show about Willie The Lion on one of the PBS cable channels over the w.e.  Willie was a pretty big guy.  In the Great Day in Harlem pic,  he towers over Luckey Roberts, who was a shorty, but also seems to be higher than most.  Actually, the pic of Lion was taken becore the famous pic for Esquire was shot.  Lion go tires and was sitting on a stoop next to the crowd.

Muddy Waters, 'tricia?

Hey Clint, you handsome bon vivant!!!

I don't know whether Muddy [whose childhood nickname apparEntly came from his love of playing in muddy ditches] fits into the parameters of jazz musicians I've set for myself, since he was a bluesman.

As for Luckey's height, I guess he had "inner" largeness.

I guess that rules out Professer Longhair, Dr. John, Howlin' Wolf and Scatman Crothers. :g

I guess. I've always wondered where "Professor Longhair" 's nickname originated, since nicknames are usually descriptive of some aspect of the person.

Do you know??

I think it was because he was clasicaly trained and could play the

longhair" music. Or maybe it was because of his 'do.

I highly recommend his "Rock 'N Roll Gumbo."

Quiz: name the pianist who is called "The Phantom" and why.

C'mon Clint ..

Ross Tomkins ..why?

dunno for sure, but seemed to have a knack for materilizing right before a gig would start,

and would vanish the same way afterwards ..

whats the story you have on that ? :wub:

Quiz:  name the pianist who is called "The Phantom" and why.

C'mon Clint ..

Ross Tomkins ..why?

dunno for sure, but seemed to have a knack for materilizing right before a gig would start,

Ross was a long time member of the Tonite Show. Doc would come on stage with the boys in the band all in their places except for the empty piano bench. Doc would look over to the sax section and say "Where's Ross?" He's turn around and Ross would be at the keyboard ready to go.

Rumor has it that Ross would suddenly vanish from the bandstand and then suddnly re-appear after getting some "reinforcements."

Ross told me about the time he was playing with Goodman. They rehearsing a tune when Benny stopped, gave Ross "the Ray" and said "What chord was that, Ross?"

Ross replied "the right one."

Add on "Phant" :

For many years Ross has apppeared as a duo with the incorrigible Jack Sheldon. They have one disc "In My Own TIme."

Ross, like Jimmy Rowles and Dave McKenna knows every song ever written and he has managed to prod Jack into expanding his repitoire

BTW, Sheldon has the most hilarious version of "Twelve Days of Christmas" jazz musician version.

Edited by clinthopson

HEY, DILDIES AND DILDRESSES,

IF YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT MUSIC...JUMP THREAD...

...THIS THREAD IS ABOUT .....

.....DOIN' THE NASTY !!!

DEEP

Quiz:  name the pianist who is called "The Phantom" and why.

C'mon Clint ..

Ross Tomkins ..why?

Ross was a long time member of the Tonite Show. Doc would come on stage with the boys in the band all in their places except for the empty piano bench. Doc would look over to the sax section and say "Where's Ross?" He's turn around and Ross would be at the keyboard ready to go.

Rumor has it that Ross would suddenly vanish from the bandstand and then suddnly re-appear after getting some "reinforcements."

Ross told me about the time he was playing with Goodman. They rehearsing a tune when Benny stopped, gave Ross "the Ray" and said "What chord was that, Ross?"

Ross replied "the right one."

That was essentially the behaviour I was alluding to ..

And if DEEP wants things back in a prurient mode, maybe he can relate the

incident that lost Skitch Henderson his Tonight Show gig ??

( Hint.. it involved a wet spot on one of the desks in the Tonight Show Office

and the close relative of a MAJOR exec of NBC...and sosme flagrante deLICKto.. )

heh heh heh :g:g:g

Edited by SGUD missile

What's that story about Dinah Washington where she was part of a stage show review and after her performance she got juiced and went out to pass out on the bus??

I guess another bus had pulled up beside the entertainers' bus and it was transporting people from a nearby insane asylum and she mistakenly got on that bus. After the show all the wackos filed back on the bus and the bus driver was taking a head count....."one, two, three, four," {AND THEN HE CAME UPON DINAH}.....he shook her and said "Who the hell are you?" she replied "I'M THE QUEEN, BABY!!"..... "five, six, seven......

Missile,

I think your Skitch question would be better served if directed to Christiern.

DEEP

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is the only fully fledged gospel singer to cross over into the jazz field.

So Dinah Washington doesn't count?

Of course she "counts", as do Aretha, Etta James and all the others AFTER Sister Rosetta Sharpe.

I will qualify my original post by saying that Sister Sharpe had many records of her gospel singing released before she moved to other genres. I don't think that Dinah or any of the other singers who sang in their churches as young women recorded gospel, before they began their careers in blues, jazz or r&b later.

Yes, Rosetta Tharpe was maybe the first major female crossover from gospel, although you had old country blues singers like Memphis Minnie making occasional gospel records too, sometimes under an assumed name.

I would say that an interesting distinction between Tharpe and the other female gospel crossovers is not that she made gospel records BEFORE crossing over, but that she continued to make gospel records AFTER crossing over, and managed to be a secular and gospel artist at the same time for many years. Somehow the church was more merciful to Tharpe than to other women who sold their souls to the devil and possibly ended up juiced in a wacko bus. :g

Edited by John L

EXCUUUUUUSE ME, FOLKS,

This is the thread where DEEP dwells.

It's not about music.

It's about THE NASTY.

If you wanna have dialogue re SOBRIQUETS and COGNOMENS please allow me to recommend you start a thread on said subject under General Music Discussion.

This thread was/is intended to offend Fags, Honks, Sheenies, WOPs, Canucks, Jarheads, Dagos, Spearchuckers, Ruskies, Limeys, Micks, Aussies, Towelheads (aka Sand Niggers), Chinks, Gooks, Nips, Wetbacks, (Who in the fuck have I left out??)....

So if you're not into THAT....ABANDON THREAD!!!

OH YEAH, BTW: HAPPY FUCKING NEW YEAR!!

DEEP

p.s. Did you all see where last week Pataki pardoned Lennie Bruce posthumously, 40 years after the fact, for the use of 4 letter words?? Soooooo, FUCK ALL OF YA'

You forgot Camel Jockeys and Wetbacks.

I wondeer how Bubber Miley got his name> :party:

CLIT,

Bullshit I forgot "WETBACKS".

Get your ass to the nearest OPTICAL BARR.

DEEP

p.s. Camel Jockeys is too polite for my taste...I prefer SAND NIGGERS!!

This thread was/is intended to offend Fags, Honks, Sheenies, WOPs, Canucks, Jarheads, Dagos, Spearchuckers, Ruskies, Limeys, Micks, Aussies, Towelheads (aka Sand Niggers), Chinks, Gooks, Nips, Wetbacks, (Who in the fuck have I left out??)....

What about us granola crunchers?

:g

EXCUUUUUUSE ME, FOLKS,

This is the thread where DEEP dwells.

It's not about music.

It's about THE NASTY.

FUCK ALL OF YA'

Hmm ..

well if you insist on being a "completeist" at racial offense, you DID omit:

Harps

Polacks

Slopes

Butches

Fluffs

Rednecks

Okies

TreeHuggers

Geeks