A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

I was on Maynard Ferguson's Band and we called for a *FILE STOP* (Missile knows what that is)..but for the record...the bus pulls off to the side of the road and the band *FILES OUT* and pisses.

!

DEEP

Hmm ..I'm surprised Maynard didn't spring for one of them GM buses with the

twin WCs at the rear ..but , OTOH, he probably did ..and from my recollections,

you could never get in them because guys were always locked in them getting high,

smoking weed, or just ralphing ( yecch ) and nodding out ..

therefore, the majority of us preferred the aforementioned "file stop " ...

the other thing was, nobody wanted to have to stand too close to the rack of band jackets

hanging in the rear by the WCs ..lest one suffer the fate of the Kurds in northern

Iraq ..

those jackets are pprobably what gave McNamara the idea for chemical weapons..

:blink:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MISSILE,

It would be fun to meet you sometime and rap.

I was juiced the other night when I posted that. I had the bands mixed up. It was the Miller Band (Buddy DeFranco) and the piano player was Bob Degen.

Maynard had one of those Silver Eagle buses and it did have a can.

Willard Alexander was booking all the bands back then and the only bus that didn't have a can was the Miller Band. They actually owned their own bus. All the rest of the bands I was on were leasing.

The crux of the story , however, is how I became *DEEP*........DIG?

In short: (no pun intended) I have a legendary JOHNSON !!

I'm sure you've heard of its BROBDINGNAGIAN PROPORTIONS!!

The Indians in the hills sing a folk song about it.

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

So, is that the origin of the Indian club?? I've often wondered who modelled for the original.

PATTY,

I think this is one topic you would be better to NOT *TOUCH* UPON!!

(Heat seeking *MUFF*) Missile knows of the impressive endowment of JOE MAINI'S

root....and, I'm sure he knows of the exploits of THE *DEEP* ROOT

In short: (There we go again) STAY OFF IT!!!

DEEP

So, is that the origin of the Indian club??  I've often wondered who modelled for the original.

PATTY,

I think this is one topic you would be better to NOT *TOUCH* UPON!!

(Heat seeking *MUFF*) Missile knows of the impressive endowment of JOE MAINI'S

root....and, I'm sure he knows of the exploits of THE *DEEP* ROOT

In short: (There we go again) STAY OFF IT!!!

DEEP

Wasn't Joe Maneri or Maini the musician who used to air his out on the bandstand, topped with a hat, tipped at a rakish angle, causing mass merriment among his fellow bandmates??

PATTY,

Joe Maneri is that fat, no playing toad that Reynolds was always raving about at THE WOD'S.

Joe Maini killed himself playing Russian Roulette but his photo *HUNG* in the Union hall in L.A. with his FIREMAN'S HAT (aka GERMAN HELMET) displayed above his belt.

MY STALK WOULD DWARF HIS

This is man talk....JUMP THREAD!!

DEEP

Can you say E.F. Hutton?

DOG,

Can you say, Marion or BETTY *HUTTON* ??

....and if per chance you can......I suggest you set up an appointment with..

....MADAME LePALME

DEEP

MISSILE,

It would be fun to meet you sometime and rap.

I was juiced the other night when I posted that. I had the bands mixed up. It was the Miller Band (Buddy DeFranco) and the piano player was Bob Degen.

Maynard had one of those Silver Eagle buses and it did have a can.

Willard Alexander was booking all the bands back then and the only bus that didn't have a can was the Miller Band. They actually owned their own bus. All the rest of the bands I was on were leasing.

The crux of the story , however, is how I became *DEEP*........DIG?

In short: (no pun intended) I have a legendary JOHNSON !!

I'm sure you've heard of its BROBDINGNAGIAN PROPORTIONS!!

The Indians in the hills sing a folk song about it.

DEEP

I have no doubts ( nor any interest in ) the brobignian proportions of your

alleged genitalia ( REALLY not my thing ..), but a hang and a few drinks would probably be fun sometime :g

Too bad there's no longer a Jim and Andys ( which was my favorrite hang about 10 before

you ..uh ..blossomed ..) or a Juniors ..

sigh ..

:(

(Heat seeking MUFF) Missile,

I'm having a rough time with my ROOT this year. It was a very hot summer here and I didn't have it stunted (like I do most years). Suffice it to say, it's giving me some serious back pain.

I'm headin' back to NYC this morning to get it a workout from my Japanese *DIVERTIMENTO* over the holidays. Try to keep this thread neat, pristine & squeaky clean in my absence. If Stapes rears his ugly...CHASE HIM OFF.

BTW: I juiced in the original Jim & Andy's, and Joe Harbors "Spotlight" (Gene Williams) but was on the scene too late for Juniors or Charlie's.

GONE

DEEP

Heres a link to a good article on Don Lamond someone sent me:

http://www.jazzconnectionmag.com/Don%20Lamond%20Article.htm

( actually , I should put this on the Don Lamond thread I started TWO DAYS AGO

..while Sir Deep was in NYC waxing his wondrous wanger ! _)

:excited:

just checked: somebody already did! :tup

Edited by SGUD missile

...just checking to see if Deep's still trying to frighten the girls with his weewee... ;)

I'm a-fwaid....veh-wee a-fwaid ^_^

Hi Wretchel,

Fear not!!

After the Holiday workout it got in NYC, it would now be compared to a 5 year old kid in a tight bathing suit just after getting out of an outdoor pool in October.

In short: IT'S SHORT!!

DEEP

• It was called Luckey's Rendezvous and located at 773 St. Nicholas Avenue. This place, which could house about 200 people, was originally home of the Fujiyama Dance Studio, then--in the early 1930s--it became the Poosepahtuck Club and featured singer Monette Moore (1934-1935), with Joe Jordan as the house pianist. Somewhere around 1940, it was bought by Luckeyeth Roberts, who had done quite well financially in the society band field. Under Roberts' ownership, it was a place to which one could go and hear Claudia McNeil (remember her in Raisin in the Sun?) and, of course, Roberts himself. It was also a place that attracted the likes of Don Lambert, Art Tatum and Marlowe Morris.

Begging your pardon, Deep, not to veer off on a non-nicknamiacal course, but what's the story on the breakup of Maynard's big band in the 60s? I've heard that Maynard lost his high chops, was too strung out to go on leading a big group, and a few other tales of woe. I figure you're the cat to ask.

Edited by JSngry