A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

This thread only has received 7152 views.

DEEP(gola)

I think all keesters have been unclenched.

Of course we will never really know until you step out from behind the walls you have put up here at the now infamous olive branch thread.

I say to you sir, UNCLENCH YOUR KEESTER and take a walk around, unless of course you are trying to set a record for number of viewing hits for a thread.

Catesta(pated),

Allow me to recommend EX LAX.

And since your memory serves you ill, allow me to recommend you get to a sawbones. They can check you out for memory deficiency.

In short: I posted that I will stay hunkered down in seclusion until Orgasmo has the DEEP IGNORE option implanted next year...DUH!!

DEEP

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere else in cyberspace, Doug Ramsey is asking...

Who replaced Buddy Rich in Tommy Dorsey's band in October or November of 1942?

He has looked high and low, but to no avail. Do you perchance have an answer for him, DEEP?

CHRISTIERN (PAL O' MINE) [sEE YA AT NOLA ON MONDAY AT NOON],

That is one sonofabitch of a question.

Buddy Rich went into the Marines at that time but did do a guest radio shot with the band in early 1943.

I think Petrillo put the recording band on in December of '42 so there is no documentation there. I don't think the band recorded in late '42 either.

Shit, that question is a bitch. Stay tuned...I'll send out feelers on that one.

See you on Monday. Booper will be there so you and she can sit side by side (she's kinda got a crush on you) while we finish this shit up.

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

From what I can find out about the Tommy Dorsey band's drummer in 1942, Gene Krupa guested many times, after Rich left, but didn't become a regular member until 1943. So, the band seemed fairly fluid, ebbing and flowing, with many guest musicians, Krupa being the best known. In 1953 the brothers Tommy and Jimmy combined their efforts, until tragedy struck and Tommy choked to death in his sleep in 1956.

Christiern (PAL O' MINE),

The movie Girl Crazy was filmed between Jan. 4th and May 19th 1943.

A very dear friend of mine (now departed) named Moe Purtill was on drums with Dorsey in that movie.

If he were still alive I'd have your answer but an educated guess would be the late, great MAURICE PURTILL.

It wasn't Krupa, Patty.

DEEP

Christiern (PAL O' MINE),

The movie Girl Crazy was filmed between Jan. 4th and May 19th 1943.

A very dear friend of mine (now departed) named Moe Purtill was on drums with Dorsey in that movie.

If he were still alive I'd have your answer but an educated guess would be the late, great MAURICE PURTILL.

It wasn't Krupa, Patty.

DEEP

Drat. I guess that whoever it was had a really short sojourn with Tommy Dorsey then, since Rich left in '41, I believe and Krupa became a regular member, in 1943, after guesting with the band, several times in the interim. Curious, that there I could find no mention of anyone who took the drum duties regularly until Krupa was hired on.

Given what you said about Purtill being the drummer in the film, "Girl Crazy", he certainly seems to be a good candidate.

Edited by patricia

OK, DILDIES,

Here's a good question for all you DILDS.

I was watching CHEERS tonight and noticed a flagrant legal violation in the set.

I'm cuttin' out in the morning so I'll be off the radar screen for a bit, but if any of you are CHEERS nuts, tell me what there is about that set that is totally illegal in any bar today. (It has nothing to do with marked EXIT signs either...even though they are absent. It's much DEEPER than that.)

Clue: COCONUT GROVE (BOSTON).

Take care of this thread in my absence and don't let STAPLES destroy it with one of his infamous / nauseous RODOMONTADES!!

DEEP

I'm not watching "Cheers", so the illegality is out of my realm of expertise. I'm listening to a totally kick-ass version of "My Heart Belongs To Daddy", by Dizzy Gillespie, recorded live instead.

However, I think you are right about Maurice Purtill, although I also found mention of Dave Tough as being a drummer with Tommy Dorsey's band in the period in question. So, half marks for you. :blink::w

Tough was a scary, but very interesting character, who went on from Tommy Dorsey's band to play with many other bands, including Herman's in the mid-forties. Apparantly he was given to fits and also a heavy juicer. He was quoted as calling Georg Brunis and Wild Bill Davidson "a clown and a gauleiter", respectively. In 1948 he had just completed a long term with Muggsy Spanier and he fell, while drunk, cracking his skull and checking out to Vermont in December of 1948 at forty years old. Too bad. Apparantly he was a hell-damner of a drummer.

Edited by patricia

However, I think you are right about Maurice Putrill,

P-U-R-T-I-L-L...PURTILL...DUH!!

DEEP

Sorry. I corrected the it.

You corrected the "it"??

WOW!!

Now you really have lost me.

DEEP

I don't think I'm a "dildie" but I'll throw out an answer anyway. Didn't watch the Cheers episode but I know the Coconut Grove in Boston burned down because of Christmas decorations. So either they were smoking which seems to be illegal everywhere these days or they had a big ol' fake tree with Christmas lights that were not "in code"....

Am I right? Do I get a nickname? :P

I don't think I'm a "dildie" but I'll throw out an answer anyway. Didn't watch the Cheers episode but I know the Coconut Grove in Boston burned down because of Christmas decorations. So either they were smoking which seems to be illegal everywhere these days or they had a big ol' fake tree with Christmas lights that were not "in code"....

Am I right? Do I get a nickname? :P

RETCHEL,

WRONG!!

DEEP

OK.... I'll try another guess and you can try out another nickname for me.  That one just won't work.    :lol:

WRETCHEL,

YOU KEEP WORKING ON IT.

(It's not a seasonal thing nor is it a smoking violation...it's a permanent part of the way they set up the bar room)

DEEP

However, I think you are right about Maurice Putrill,

P-U-R-T-I-L-L...PURTILL...DUH!!

DEEP

Sorry. I corrected the it.

You corrected the "it"??

WOW!!

Now you really have lost me.

DEEP

WOW. You're lightening fast. I had edited at the same time as you were puzzled and confused about my unedited post. But, you are picking nits, which is fun to do, but frustrating for the pickee. :rolleyes:

Edited by patricia

Patty,

You better team up with WRETCHEL and work on the CHEERS violation.

In short: Bag the Dorsey issue...DUH!!

DEEP

Patty,

You better team up with WRETCHEL and work on the CHEERS violation.

In short: Bag the Dorsey issue...DUH!!

DEEP

I team up with nobody, especially in a discussion of a sitcom about a fictional bar in Boston, and no offence to Rachel. :blink:

I'm surprised that you missed my egregious spelling error, later on in my post, in which I spelled gauleiter, G-A-U-L-E-T-E-R. I am cloaked in a fog of shame at my illiteracy.

Baggin the Dorsey thing. Your wish is my command. DUH. :rfr

I'm surprised that you missed my egregious spelling error, later on in my post, in which I spelled gauleiter, G-A-U-L-E-T-E-R. I am cloaked in a fog of shame at my illiteracy.

Patty,

I think you're cloaked in the fog of inebriation.

What is the word you're actually trying to state?

(Maybe you better team up with a dictionary)

DEEP

I'm surprised that you missed my egregious spelling error, later on in my post, in which I spelled gauleiter, G-A-U-L-E-T-E-R.  I am cloaked in a fog of shame at my illiteracy.

Patty,

I think you're cloaked in the fog of inebriation.

What is the word you're actually trying to state?

(Maybe you better team up with a dictionary)

DEEP

No. If I were enebriated, I would be doing a solo tango on my coffee table instead of posting. I'm not vocabulary shy, just spell-challenged, not an indictable offence, as far as I know.

I was actually quoting Tough who was using a term born out of the Nazi era in Germany, referring to the process of voluntary recruitment. I assumed it wasn't a compliment, but it isn't in my dictionary, so that wouldn't have helped. I knew how to spell it, but decided to mis-spell it. :blink:

Edited by patricia

No.  If I were enebriated, I would be doing a solo tango on my coffee table instead of posting.  I'm not vocabulary shy, just spell-challenged, not an indictable offence, as far as I know.

Patty,

That's all well and good, and we're all happy for you.

NOW....please spell the word correctly and tell us what it means.

Is that a difficult task for a sober woman of 64 years of age?

DEEP

No.  If I were enebriated, I would be doing a solo tango on my coffee table instead of posting.  I'm not vocabulary shy, just spell-challenged, not an indictable offence, as far as I know.

Patty,

That's all well and good, and we're all happy for you.

NOW....please spell the word correctly and tell us what it means.

Is that a difficult task for a sober woman of 64 years of age?

DEEP

OK. G-A-U-L-E-I-T-E-R. You're pretty sharp for an old fart. I hope I'm still as eagle-eyed as you when I am 78, as you have often said you are.

I believe that the term refers to someone of pure German origins, for the purposes of recruitment in the Reich, the SS, or the German Army of the time. I'm no expert in German history, but it clearly was no compliment.

Tough was wordy and quick on his liguistic feet, much like you. :blink:

DEEP

OK. G-A-U-L-E-I-T-E-R. You're pretty sharp for an old fart. I hope I'm still as eagle-eyed as you when I am 78, as you have often said you are.

I believe that the term refers to someone of pure German origins, for the purposes of recruitment in the Reich, the SS, or the German Army of the time. I'm no expert in German history, but it clearly was no compliment.

DEEP

People, permit an old fart from France to correct.

GAULEITER was the term used in Nazi time for the governors who were ruling the provinces under Third Reich juridiction.

And rule they did. Gauleiters were EVIL.

Edited by patricia