New York Art Quartet

jeffcrom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I got that email from Amazon too and I have some questions about this release. First, has this material been available before in trading circles and; second, is this a legit release?

Don't know the answer to the first question, but as far as I know, Cuneiform has never appeared to be a pirate label. Here's their page on this release.

Yeah, I got that email from Amazon too and I have some questions about this release. First, has this material been available before in trading circles and; second, is this a legit release?

This has previously(1970s)been released on a French LP titled "Roswell Rudd" (IIRC the label was called "America"). These are Dutch radio (studio) recordings from 1965. The group also played at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, with the Ornette Coleman Trio doing the second part of the concert. I was there.

This has previously(1970s)been released on a French LP titled "Roswell Rudd" (IIRC the label was called "America"). These are Dutch radio (studio) recordings from 1965. The group also played at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw, with the Ornette Coleman Trio doing the second part of the concert. I was there.

The new CD doesn't appear to be the same as the America "Roswell Rudd Quartet" album. It has some of the same tunes, but the timings are different. And it has tunes which don't appear on the America album.

Edited by jeffcrom

Seems to be Danish if the info on CDUniverse is correct:

New York Art Quartet Old Stuff CD

1290337.jpg

1. Rosmosis

2. Sweet Smells

3. Old Stuff

4. Pannonica

5. Kvintus T

6. Pa Tirsdag

7. Old Stuff

8. Cool Eyes

9. Sweet V

10. Karin's Blues

11. Kirsten

Recording information: Concert Hall of the Radio House, Danish Broadcasting Co (10/14/1965); Montmartre Jazzhus, Copenhagen, Denmark (10/14/1965); Concert Hall of the Radio House, Danish Broadcasting Co (10/24/1965); Montmartre Jazzhus, Copenhagen, Denmark (10/24/1965).

Photographer: Teit Jorgensen.

Personnel: John Tchicai (alto saxophone); Roswell Rudd (trombone); Louis Moholo (drums).

Liner Note Author: Jason Weiss.

The Hilversum session is something different, it seems:

New York Art Quartet or Roswell Rudd - I don't know which title is correct

America (F)30AM6114

Roswell Rudd (tb) John Tchicai (as) Finn van Eyben (b) Louis Moholo (d)

Broadcast, Hilversum, November 2, 1965

Respects

Old stuff

Jabulani

Sweet smells

Pannonica

Rosmosis (unissued)

" I had tried to bring the New York Art Quartet to Scandinavia in the fall of 1965, but it ended up only Rudd and I getting over there. So we asked Moholo and a Danish bassist named Finn von Eyben to play with us. "

http://www.johntchicai.com/rub_tchicai/page_inter.html

and if you want some basic genetic information about Finn von Eyben:

http://www.voneyben.dk/

Edited by Niko

good point - if it's not reissue - however, I assume they were paid for the original session (?). Point is, once the side men are paid, technically they do not have to be paid again.

and yes, I would like a 10 percent finders fee (since I found this thread and managed to make no sense whatsoever on it) -