Super Bowl Half Time

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. As you probably know, the two remaining original members of The Who and two other guys who don't play bass or drums nearly as well as John Entwistle and Keith Moon will be performing during halftime at the Super Bowl. Although the chances are slim, all we can hope is that this will go better for The Who than it did for the Stones. Who needs another amped up, played too fast, get 'em while they last send up of a group's greatest hits? Not this listener. Who needs a bandstand surrounded by gyrating, paid- to-play young people whose parents might not even have been born when the Who was in their prime and whose exposure of to their music begins and ends with this show? Not this listener. But what scares me the most, what's been keeping me up nights is the possibility that Pete Townshend, who will be 65 years old next May, might see fit to end the show by smashing his guitar to pieces. Frankly, I can't imagine anything more embarrassing. I hereby petition the gods of rock and roll. For the sake of dignity, do not let this happen.

Boy, they must have offered Townshend and Daltry a really huge pile of money to do this.

Don't be ridiculous!

The fact they're still going around shows where their heads are at.

And BTW, they played at the "after party" of the Australian GP here in Melbourne last year, so playing the Super Bowl 1/2 time ain't no big sellout or change by their current standards.

None of this worries me in the least. I've seen every Super Bowl telecast (not to mention a few NFL championship games before that), but I only watch the game (and some of the ads). I haven't watched the pre-game show in many years (and I try to avoid hearing the annual butchering of out national anthem); but the thing I'm most careful to make sure I miss completely are the halftime shows.

Hey, I'm looking forward to this.....after Timberlake/Jackson Nipple-gate, they're playing as safe as possible. At least they can still play and get around- I hope I'm like that in my mid-60s. Springsteen, Tom Petty, Paul McCartney....kids my son's age (28) like the "oldies".....I vote for AC/DC next year.....or Organissimo....

Hey, I'm looking forward to this.....after Timberlake/Jackson Nipple-gate, they're playing as safe as possible. At least they can still play and get around- I hope I'm like that in my mid-60s. Springsteen, Tom Petty, Paul McCartney....kids my son's age (28) like the "oldies".....I vote for AC/DC next year.....or Organissimo....

Of course, the SB is on CBS so what's left of the Who will play all three 'CSI' theme songs!

I don't know whether this is coincidental or not...but EA Sports changed their "music" for Madden NFL 10 this year. There was a little blurb about it that I read (somewhere) that said "as our core demographic ages, we are adjusting the music to more accurately fit our target audience".

So, Madden NFL 9 had a bunch of nu-rock stuff like Audioslave, Queens Of The Stone Age, plus a whole bunch of hip-hop type stuff, etc.

Madden NFL 10 has turned the clock back and focuses now on bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.

So I'm guessing the "target audience" at this point for Madden would be the "first video game generation", people who were around 9 years old when the first Atari came out.

I'm sure there's a sizable group of people out there in who actually enjoy these half time extravaganzas, but I'll be damned if I know any of them. I have never found a single person who thinks these shows are anything other than horrifically bad, if not downright embarrassing. But, as the expression goes, no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public. If you're old enough to remember the old Orange Bowl half times featuring the likes of Anita Bryant, it's easy to see that only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

I don't know whether this is coincidental or not...but EA Sports changed their "music" for Madden NFL 10 this year. There was a little blurb about it that I read (somewhere) that said "as our core demographic ages, we are adjusting the music to more accurately fit our target audience".

So, Madden NFL 9 had a bunch of nu-rock stuff like Audioslave, Queens Of The Stone Age, plus a whole bunch of hip-hop type stuff, etc.

Madden NFL 10 has turned the clock back and focuses now on bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc.

So I'm guessing the "target audience" at this point for Madden would be the "first video game generation", people who were around 9 years old when the first Atari came out.

Still younger than me...

But honestly, no one I've talked to has ever said that they do anything but completely skip the halftime show. One wonders why they even have one.

But what scares me the most, what's been keeping me up nights is the possibility that Pete Townshend, who will be 65 years old next May, might see fit to end the show by smashing his guitar to pieces. Frankly, I can't imagine anything more embarrassing.

Oh, I'm sure it will happen. As I understand it, PT donates the smashed guitars for various charities to auction off. He has commented that the value of the guitar increases dramatically as soon as it becomes "As-Smashed-By-Pete-Townshend."

But, yeah, the whole prospect of that show is disheartening.

Edit to add: HEY, that's my 1,000th post!!! :party::rmad::party::rmad::party:

Edited by DukeCity

Good to see you back Dan.

What would be a good half-time show (given the audience, which is pretty much everyone)?

They could put some thought into it and draw on the two cities involved. New Orleans is a no-brainer. Indy? ... Screw Indy, just get some New Orleans marching bands.

Reading the list of Super Bowl halftime performers over the years, big pop or rock stars were not used as the entertainment until the later 1990s. Before that, University marching bands were often booked, or easy listening artists or even gasp, jazz artists. The following Super Bowl halftime performers may be of interest to those on this forum:

Ella Fitzgerald (1972), Woody Herman (1973), Mercer Ellington and the Ellington Orchestra (1975), Pete Fountain and Al Hirt (1978--Al Hirt had also performed in 1967 and 1972), Pete Fountain and Irma Thomas (1990), Tony Bennett and Arturo Sandoval (1995).

Those performers were usually part of a package of other acts.

Not until the 2000s was it firmly established that a big rock or pop star would be named as the halftime performer.