Mosaic Last Chance

mellowT

I still want a real copy of the Pacific Piano Trios! (A friend lent me his set and I made a copy, at least... but I have that, I want the actual thing!)

That Piano Select is really getting expensive these days...

Ebay Piano Select

flurin got quite a good deal for his $90 !

Yeah, I had 100$ in as a maximum bid (and that was the total cost including shipping - it's on its way by now)... and newbie that I am on ebay (I bought about five discs in the past ten years...), I would have been totally lost to keep up with the guy/gal who bade (is that the correct verb form?) against me during the final few minutes... glad it only arrived at 90$ before ending!

I still want a real copy of the Pacific Piano Trios! (A friend lent me his set and I made a copy, at least... but I have that, I want the actual thing!)

Ebay Piano Select

Yeah, I had 100$ in as a maximum bid (and that was the total cost including shipping - it's on its way by now)... and newbie that I am on ebay (I bought about five discs in the past ten years...), I would have been totally lost to keep up with the guy/gal who bade (is that the correct verb form?) against me during the final few minutes... glad it only arrived at 90$ before ending!

The best way to bid is to wait until the last few seconds and then place a bid or use a sniping service that does it for you. Bidding early only invites others to try and outbid you and it drives the price up.

Ebay Piano Select

The best way to bid is to wait until the last few seconds and then place a bid or use a sniping service that does it for you. Bidding early only invites others to try and outbid you and it drives the price up.

I see I still have a lot of learning to do there... don't like the word "sniping" in this context, but I guess I'll have to look into that, eventually... the price stood fairly low until the final few minutes, so I don't think I've driven up the price to my own disadvantage.

Ebay Piano Select

I see I still have a lot of learning to do there... don't like the word "sniping" in this context, but I guess I'll have to look into that, eventually... the price stood fairly low until the final few minutes, so I don't think I've driven up the price to my own disadvantage.

I don't like word either, but that's what it's called. There are various sniping services; some are free and others charge a fee that depends on your winning bid - or nothing if you don't win :) Here's the one I use: Auction Sniper

For what it's worth there was a study using DVD auctions on eBay that came to the conclusion that squatting and sniping had the same payoffs. The Mosaic community may act differently though. :)

Sniping & Squatting

Interesting, but it's clear (and they state as much) that this analysis only holds true for items that are plentiful and readily available. For scarce or collectible items, it's extremely doubtful that the same logic applies. I'd bet the results would have been quite different if the DVDs used in the study had been OOP titles that are highly in-demand by collectors and tend to be expensive when they appear on the secondary market.

For what it's worth there was a study using DVD auctions on eBay that came to the conclusion that squatting and sniping had the same payoffs. The Mosaic community may act differently though. :)

Sniping & Squatting

Interesting, but it's clear (and they state as much) that this analysis only holds true for items that are plentiful and readily available. For scarce or collectible items, it's extremely doubtful that the same logic applies. I'd bet the results would have been quite different if the DVDs used in the study had been OOP titles that are highly in-demand by collectors and tend to be expensive when they appear on the secondary market.

Yes, I doubt squatting works for OOP sets (hence my qualification), but it *might* work for in print used Selects if one were looking to just a few dollars and indifferent about new vs. used. Just thought I'd put it out there in case people are bidding on common items when they're finished setting up their Mosaic snipes.

Yes, I doubt squatting works for OOP sets (hence my qualification), but it *might* work for in print used Selects if one were looking to just a few dollars and indifferent about new vs. used. Just thought I'd put it out there in case people are bidding on common items when they're finished setting up their Mosaic snipes.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

If i have something to sell (unusual, not rare), and I see similar items for sale ahead of me (already posted), I will indeed post early bids that will be topped, in order to set the market higher, and create buzz. On the other hand, it's always good to win great marketable stuff (even if you already own it) with ridiculous low bids, the result of under-the-radar auctions (e.g. that amazing box set you have always wanted, that neglects to include the word "Mosaic" in the description!). Been there done that too. My guess is there are many more weak auctions these days with money so scarce.