J. D. Salinger has died

Early rumors have been confirmed. Apparently the news was broken by his agent. Given that Salinger hasn't published in over 50 years, that's one hell of a loyal agent!

I haven't read Catcher in many years; I suspect many will be rereading it tonight.

R.I.P.

Not unexpected, given that he was 91, but still leaves me feeling sad--I loved his fiction and continue to revisit it to this day (especially the Glass family novellas). There's a very good biography coming out in several months that will provide a lot of interesting background on his war years, the work he put into his early stories, etc.

I've read that in his later years Salinger was not particularly a jazz fan. But here's an uncollected story from 1948 that holds some interest--it was originally titled "Needle On a Scratchy Phonograph Record," until the editors at Cosmopolitan (much to Salinger's chagrin) changed it to "Blue Melody":

Needle on a Scratchy Phonograph Record

Heard a discussion awhile back about whether we (the public) have a right to posthumously publish works of writers. The discussion turned to Salinger because it's assumed he's been writing this whole time. They started talking about if he had a will that stated for his wife to burn everything upon his death and whether he had a right to do that.

I turned the radio off. Stupid discussion.

RIP

I have very fond memories of reading Catcher in the back seat of a car (amazingly I don't remember what) with two sisters from Turtleford, SK, one of whom insisted on mispronouncing "Phoebie". If I remeber right Catcher has a passage about a piano player who's lost his touch, any idea who he may have had in mind?

Guest Bill Barton

R.I.P.

I've mentioned on the board before that I grew up in Cornish, N.H. and have memories of Salinger attending town meeting every year. It was just about the only time he ever came out of seclusion. Cornish residents were quite supportive of his hermit ways... Woe unto any reporter who tried to find out exactly where he lived or get any information at all about him!

And thanks for that link, ghost!

Edited by Bill Barton

The news hit me in the same way as a death in the family.

Salinger has been a favorite writer since I read 'The Catcher in the Rye' in english when I was 16. My second book in english, after Mailer's 'The Naked and the Dead'. His other novellas and books followed.

I really hope that new works will come out from whatever closets they are being kept.

I have very fond memories of reading Catcher in the back seat of a car (amazingly I don't remember what) with two sisters from Turtleford, SK, one of whom insisted on mispronouncing "Phoebie". If I remeber right Catcher has a passage about a piano player who's lost his touch, any idea who he may have had in mind?

I've read that the pianist was based on Art Tatum. If I remember correctly it wasn't that he had lost his touch--it was that he was all flash and no substance.

I've read that in his later years Salinger was not particularly a jazz fan. But here's an uncollected story from 1948 that holds some interest--it was originally titled "Needle On a Scratchy Phonograph Record," until the editors at Cosmopolitan (much to Salinger's chagrin) changed it to "Blue Melody":

David, thanks for posting this. I have to confess that this is the first Salinger I've ever read. I thought it was terrific. Quirky, off plumb, whatever. The sort of piece where you can lose track of the narrative in deference to style and nuance. More than once, I laughed out loud, just like I used to when I'd read David Sedaris in the New Yorker. On the basis of this limited exposure, I must make it a point to do Catcher, and soon.

Edited by Dave James

David, thanks for posting this. I have to confess that this is the first Salinger I've ever read. I thought it was terrific. Quirky, off plumb, whatever. The sort of piece where you can lose track of the narrative in deference to style and nuance. More than once, I laughed out loud, just like I used to when I'd read David Sedaris in the New Yorker. On the basis of this limited exposure, I must make it a point to do Catcher, and soon.

It's interesting that you had that reaction, Dave. In all the appreciations of Salinger I've read over the last three days there is little or no mention of his comic gift. His writings always made me laugh out loud.