Sea Salt Recommendations

100_3171.jpg

Getting near the end of the line for this excellent French sea salt. Would like to try something new....seasoned or -non (just no Thai Ginger Fusion Sea Salt)

Anyone ever tried one of these apple-smoked sea salts?

http://www.maineseasalt.com/smoked-sea-salt.html

....or cooked on a salt slab?

http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=658

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

"Old reliable" for us is the light grey celtic sea salt. Hmm, looks like I should be buying this mail order rather than the local store. Oh well, the owner of the small shop does provide good health care to his employees, many of whom I'm friends with. (You're a magnet for off-topic political content. ;)) I love the stuff for stews and salads especially. Maybe a little too much, as I recently bought a blood pressure monitor to make sure we don't overdo it.

We were given a sampler that includes Hawaiian alaea red clay, black truffle salt, some Salish smoked salt like you asked about, Himalayan pink and Mediterranian Cyprus flake. Haven't really had a chance to fully try them out yet, though I have some experience with the pink and flake. (Reminder people, this is a salt thread, not a cocaine thread.) For some reason I'm drawn to the pink for certain fish dishes but I'm not sure if it's just the color or the taste.

The smoked salt is strong enough that you can smell it when it's closed in its thick plastic sampler container. I'm a little suspicious that a drop of Liquid Smoke might have the same effect in dishes. (Sticks finger in container and tastes.) No, it's more subtle than that, strong as it is. Part of what's held me back from experimenting with these is the containers are the sort that if you're not careful while opening the lid the contents can explode all over the place. Not quite the Hurt Locker, but if you're clumsy...

Edited by Quincy

Sonnymax, remember when the Russians were marketing an unrefined, high mineral salt from the low-salinity Caspian Sea? Processing facility was right next to the mouth of The Volga. Had to cease operations after some local area restaurants reported a spate of curious side effects.

Proust+instantane.jpg

No doubt about it, the eyes have it! :excited: