Have You Ever Won Anything From A Radio Station?

Soulstation1

In 1973 I won a set of Acoustic Research speakers from a record store. Since I could not afford a stereo in those student days, but desperately wanted one, that was like winning $1 million would be for me now.

I won by being the first one to mail in to a music store, the ten correct answers in a summer long contest. The music store sponsored the contest on a local FM radio station. The station played a complete rock album every night at midnight. Ten times that summer, in the middle of the Album of the Night, they played one extra cut unannounced, which was by the same artist but did not appear on the announced album of the night. You had to listen every night, identify the ten times that the extra cut was played, and list the ten artists and extra cuts on a postcard.

I remember that one of them was: When Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" was played, the song "New Morning" was inserted in the middle. They were like that, not terribly difficult, but you had to listen every night and know all 90 albums played all summer long. Radio shows were not stored on websites back then! It was all real time work. Also, there were no online sources to check out the song titles of the albums. You had to either own the album or go to a store and scour the bins to study the album covers.

The tenth such extra cut was played on the last night of the contest. I wrote the tenth one down and went to the post office a few minutes after the last album of the night ended. A kindly after-hours postal worker suggested that I mail the postcard by some method which I don't remember, for an extra fee, which documented the time mailed, and got it to the music store fast. The music store owner told me that as a result, my card was delivered a few hours ahead of another person who had all ten correct.

It was truly a momentous occasion for me. I had enough saved up to buy a turntable and receiver to go with my free speakers. Naturally I bought them from the same music store that gave me the speakers, so it was a good deal for them too. With my first decent stereo, my music addiction went to another level, as did my parents' lack of mental health.

Edited by Hot Ptah

About 40 years ago I won about 3 times in one summer. I still remember the questions: I identified John Coltrane and Jethro Tull when recods were played and I knew who wrote Willie and the Hand-Jive. I won tickets to an all day rock festival, a John-Lee Hooker concert and a copy of Abby Road. All on Chum-FM in Toronto.

When I was a kid, there was an AM radio station just a few blocks from my house. Every Halloween we would make sure to have the station on our trick-or-treat route because they gave away records (45rpm singles). Unfortunately, it was usually stuff that nobody at the station wanted for themselves. So the best one I ever got was "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" by Cher. :blink:

I do love me some Chipotle burritos. Wish they had them out in PA.

I one a pair of pretty good BB King tickets a few years back as the 25th caller. BB is always a good show.

The lady friend won a necklace and a couple gift certificates for her Mom for some mothers day contest where she had to say why she though her mom deserved to be pampered. She was a bit liberal with the truth on that one. Apparently it was a pretty nice necklace.

In '72 or '73, Charlie Gillette, the R&B historian, had a Blues, R&B & Soul radio show on Radio London, Sunday lunchtimes. He used to play obscure stuff and give a prize to the first one to identify it. I never won anything at that.

But one week, he offered a prize for the correct answer and also A PRIZE FOR THE STUPIDEST ANSWER. Well, I didn't know what the hell he played, so I went for the stupiest answer I could think up quickly, which was Arnold Schoenberg accompanied by Bix Beiderbecke & the Wolverines.

And I won a Bo Diddley LP!

(He'd played something by Grateful Dead)

MG

In '72 or '73, Charlie Gillette, the R&B historian, had a Blues, R&B & Soul radio show on Radio London, Sunday lunchtimes. He used to play obscure stuff and give a prize to the first one to identify it. I never won anything at that.

But one week, he offered a prize for the correct answer and also A PRIZE FOR THE STUPIDEST ANSWER. Well, I didn't know what the hell he played, so I went for the stupiest answer I could think up quickly, which was Arnold Schoenberg accompanied by Bix Beiderbecke & the Wolverines.

MG

That's very funny. Some of the Dead's spacier recordings from the 1966--72 period could sound like what you said.

I also once won a very early Phillip Glass album by correctly identifying the Paul Winter Consort as the group that the members of Oregon were in, before they started Oregon. The Phillip Glass album was not all that interesting. It was from long before he became well known.

back in '78 or '79 i won a smokey robinson lp on the local top 40 station.

i think it was "where there's smoke . . . ."

i did not have a turntable at the time, so it was useless to me.

when it arrived i colored over the gold promo stamp with a purple marker (the same color as the ablum cover), and i exchanged it at gold circle (a local retailer at the time) for an 8 track (probably some middle america hard rock act).

when the woman at the counter asked me about the purple coloring i pleaded ignorance.

Edited by kulu se mama

MG

That's very funny. Some of the Dead's spacier recordings from the 1966--72 period could sound like what you said.

I also once won a very early Phillip Glass album by correctly identifying the Paul Winter Consort as the group that the members of Oregon were in, before they started Oregon. The Phillip Glass album was not all that interesting. It was from long before he became well known.

I recollect now that Gillette said "and you can't get much more stupid than that!"

He never worked with me, though.

MG

Yes. Back in the early 70's San Francisco's jazz station, (KJAZZ ?)

asked people to guess who the two clarinet players were on the next two records played. I called and guessed Pee Wee Russell & Phil Woods.

I won tickets to two black-explotation movies and did not bother to go :-)

I used to win tickets for jazz and blues shows a lot in the late 1980s to early 1990s. Here in Boston there are several Public and College stations and they all had blues and jazz shows where they gave out tickets to whoever was in town. You usually had to be the first caller to identify a saxophonist or other musician on the next cut the DJ played. Sometimes it was just being the fifth or sixth caller.

Among the shows I attended this way were Jay McShann (with a big band!), Koko Taylor, Courtney Pine, and Cecil Taylor.