Blakey's "Drums Around the Corner"

Larry Kart

http://www.amazon.com/Drums-Around-Corner-Art-Blakey/dp/B00001ZSXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261770047&sr=1-1

Can't believe that I listened to this album for the first time last night and didn't even know about it until a few days ago -- it's superb and has a flavor all its own. Personnel is Blakey, Lee Morgan, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt and ... Roy Haynes, Philly Joe Jones, and Ray Barretto!

Obviously in the vein of "Orgy in Rhythm" et al. , the date is in one sense more jazzlike in focus (only one non-traps drummer). In another sense though this allows almost all of the frequent exotic colorations (mallets, even tympani) and rhythms to be generated by Haynes, Jones, and Blakey, which is all for the best in several ways -- first because they are the compatible percussion masters they are, second because they know that this is a meeting of masters alone and seem to be excited by (or at least highly interested in) what's going to occur. In any case, the atmosphere is electric and the mood is perforce a bit experimental, e.g. the15-plus minute version of "Moose the Mooche" begins with the four drummers "rhythmically playing the melody," as Kenny Washington puts it in his excellent liner notes -- not exactly a common thing to do, even for one drummer, and to hear Blakey, PJJ, Haynes, and Barretto work this out and make it work is something else. (It should be said BTW that Lee Morgan is on fire on this date.)

I would guess that this was extremely challenging date for RVG to engineer (it was recorded at Manhattan Towers because, I assume, three drum kits would have been too much for RVG's Hackensack studio to handle), and sound quality is all one could wish for.

As for mood , that seems to me to be (as I said above) experimental and questing to a quite unusual degree for a date of this time, Nov. 1958. Maybe it's my imagination, but the prominence of percussive information/intensity in a horn-plus-rhythm format virtually forecasts the feel of the vintage Impulse Coltrane Quartet, which was a fair bit down the road. As for egos, Haynes seems a bit separate from the other three in his crackling brilliance, Barretto understands that he's not part of any competition but just tastily plays fine stuff, while PJJ and Blakey do go at each other at times I think, in part because they're both in the right channel and Haynes and Barretto are in the left. On the other hand, no one does anything that's merely flashy -- going back to the experimental atmosphere that I think I detect, I'd guess that virtually all the way through no one was quite sure how things were going to work out or come off, and that they found this exciting. Finally though it seems quite clear that as loose (even wild) as thing are at times, Blakey is the undoubted leader. For one thing, the idea of the percussion-based ensemble obviously was dear to his heart; for another (and this I can only imagine) what the heck must it have been like to be Blakey (or PJJ or Haynes, for that matter), and know that your own best thoughts were going to be responded to by those other two guys? Kind of stimulating, no?

Also, there are two fine duo tracks here, with Paul Chambers and Blakey, that were recorded on the same day as Sonny Clark's "My Conception" -- March, 29, 1959.

In comparison, I like this better than Orgy In Rhythm or Holiday For Skins - a bit jazzier, and Roy Haynes and Philly Joe add more substance to the whole affair - no simple banging around with these two heavy cats! It sounds more focussed to me than the other two ... Blakey was no real expert on African or Cuban rhythms. 

This was definitely a session that should never have stayed in the can for so long. IIRC, this was one of 6 CDs that came out in 1999 for the BN 60th anniversary, and the list was chosen by members of the BNBB (most of whom gravitated here). I agree that the arrangements are very inventive, and Lee is definitely on fire.

Contrast this with the non-celebration of the 70th anniversary :angry:

Bertrand.

This was definitely a session that should never have stayed in the can for so long. IIRC, this was one of 6 CDs that came out in 1999 for the BN 60th anniversary, and the list was chosen by members of the BNBB (most of whom gravitated here).

I had not discovered the BNBB at the time but I was in New York when the series came out and grabbed all of them. Gifts from Heaven for BN fanatics!

The Blakey CD turned out to be the most interesting!

IIRC, this was one of 6 CDs that came out in 1999 for the BN 60th anniversary, and the list was chosen by members of the BNBB (most of whom gravitated here).

Yes, it's depressing. 2009 is the first year that there has been no Connoisseur batch since the start of that series in 1994, and it's not like there have been any other reissues either. What a way to celebrate the 70th anniversary!

I remember those BNBB discussions back in 1999. Seems like a different world.

IIRC, this was one of 6 CDs that came out in 1999 for the BN 60th anniversary

I checked and there were actually *7* CDs in that batch!

Art Blakey - Drums Around The Corner

Lou Donaldson - Man With A Horn

Grant Green - Blues For Lou

Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker

Dizzy Reece - Comin’ On

Jimmy Smith - Six Views Of The Blues

Various Artists - The Lost Sessions

Those were the days...

I got all of them but the Jimmy Smith.

The Blakey, Hutcherson and Reece are wonderful. The other three are only OK, but definiteky worth having. I remember at the time a lot of people complained that the Grant Green was pretty weak. Today, we'd be psyched if they announced they had uncovered ten more sessions of this caliber.

Bertrand.

IIRC, this was one of 6 CDs that came out in 1999 for the BN 60th anniversary

I checked and there were actually *7* CDs in that batch!

Art Blakey - Drums Around The Corner

Lou Donaldson - Man With A Horn

Grant Green - Blues For Lou

Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker

Dizzy Reece - Comin’ On

Jimmy Smith - Six Views Of The Blues

Various Artists - The Lost Sessions

Those were the days...

Edited by bertrand

This is superb session for many reasons. Unlike many of the resurrected dates, this one is top-notch in every way, and should have been issued at the time. However, this is a record that needs to be heard in stereo, and perhaps in 1958 Blue Note, who were just beginning to get their feet wet in the stereo game, didn't have faith in the saleability of this record.

This is superb session for many reasons. Unlike many of the resurrected dates, this one is top-notch in every way, and should have been issued at the time. However, this is a record that needs to be heard in stereo, and perhaps in 1958 Blue Note, who were just beginning to get their feet wet in the stereo game, didn't have faith in the saleability of this record.

Yes -- without stereo (and without Kenny Washington's excellent, detailed liner notes) it might be tricky to sort out some of what was going here.

Never really cared much for "Orgy In Rhythm" or" Holiday For Skins" but like this one a lot. Haven't listened to it

in a long time. This thread has encouraged me to pull it off the shelf. i plan to listen to it within the next few days

That's one of the things I like best about Organissimo. Reading various threads reminds me to listen again to a recording

I haven't heard in quite some time.

Edited by Peter Friedman

I too liked Drums Around The Corner much more than Orgy In Rhythm. DATC is fun, and has a nice groove. Also, while the drums are in competition, Lee Morgan has the melody lane to his lonesome, and he's having a ball. Orgy In Rhythm...ugh. It's of it's time, I suppose, a homage to Africa, really more of an experiment. Something to respect rather than to actually enjoy. And consider: Lee Morgan on the one hand, and on the other, Herbie Mann.

I never listened to Holiday For Skins, because I suspected it was just more of Orgy In Rhythm.

But I have to say, Orgy In Rhythm and Holiday For Skins are two of the best Francis Wolff/Reid Miles covers.

Bertrand.

"The finest in jazz for 70 years", lol.

I agree with what Peter said, and everyone else really. It comes out as the best of the multi-drummer Blakey BN dates, because it's more interesting. The others? Well I was curious about them, got them, played them once, and now they have a layer of dust, and maybe a spider or two, on them.

[i don't remember there being a "batch of 7" CDs to celebrate anything, but I did get just about all of them. The Hutcherson date is superb, and I've played it a lot - I even like it enough to have uploaded it to my phone, to hear it while traveling. "Step Lightly" is probably the most catchy item, and was recorded on at least one other BN session.]

In comparison, I like this better than Orgy In Rhythm or Holiday For Skins - a bit jazzier, and Roy Haynes and Philly Joe add more substance to the whole affair - no simple banging around with these two heavy cats! It sounds more focussed to me than the other two ... Blakey was no real expert on African or Cuban rhythms.

Same here. I've long liked this album a lot more than those other two "drum-oriented" ones.

IIRC, this was one of 6 CDs that came out in 1999 for the BN 60th anniversary, and the list was chosen by members of the BNBB (most of whom gravitated here).

Yes, it's depressing. 2009 is the first year that there has been no Connoisseur batch since the start of that series in 1994, and it's not like there have been any other reissues either. What a way to celebrate the 70th anniversary!

Or not. :)

I know, it's a little depressing to be sure.