Happiest U.S. States Pinned Down

Rankings

Findings published in Science magazine

"Their results come from a comparison of two data sets of happiness levels in each state, one that relied on participants' self-reported well-being and the other an objective measure that took into account a state's weather, home prices and other factors that are known reasons to frown (or smile).

The self-reported information came from 1.3 million U.S. citizens who took part in a survey between 2005 and 2008.

"We wanted to study whether people's feelings of satisfaction with their own lives are reliable, that is, whether they match up to reality — of sunshine hours, congestion, air quality, etc — in their own state," Oswald said.

The results showed the two measures matched up. "We were stunned when it first came up on our screens, because no one has ever managed to produce a clear validation before of subjective well-being, or happiness, data," [Andrew] Oswald [of the University of Warwick in England] said."

Interesting results.

Well, Florida, I'd say is dreadful from my visiting experience.

I loved Hawaii, but know I'll never be able to afford to stay there comfortably, but if I could I would. Those trade winds are for me.

Louisiana I confess I haven't visited yet. I will say that I do know a few people from Louisian well, and they're happy, adjusted people. :)

I was going to say that it's related to climate but that's not the case at all. Also interesting that the tristate area (NY, NJ, Conn) come in dead last. I'm ready to move.

No big surprises here. Speaking for my home state, high taxes and lack of good paying jobs might having something to do with that. Not trying to make a politcal statement mind you. Interesting to see Maine ranked 10'th among most happy since my wife and I are seriously considering moving there in the next 10 yrs.

My "take" on Hawaii is slanted by the fact that I'm solely a business traveler. The downsides:

- Airports and hotels are full of people unfamiliar with "the routine". Grrrrrrr.

- Working eight to five (or, more likely, 6:00AM until 9:00PM) the sunshine and tradewinds are outside my enjoyment

- Local culture?

- Everyone back at the office seems to think I'm on vacation.

The best State? Gotta be Alaska. I've been on business trips where I've gone hiking at midnight (June). That's cool. And in December, well, work doesn't mean missing much outside. But that's not what the survey is about. I'm kind of surprised that high unemployment, low wages and high cost of living don't "sink" Hawaii.

Well, I read the article (and the comments) twice, and I have a hard time taking it very seriously. I haven't been to every state, but I've been to many, and having lived in California my entire life (and traveling all over the state), I know one thing... you can't generalize about a state this large and diverse (in geography, climate, population, etc etc).

I think this sort of study would be better applied to cities rather than states.

Lon, maybe I'll see you in Hawaii when we get to our "next" lives. ;)

Well, Florida, I'd say is dreadful from my visiting experience.

All I know is, I'm sitting here in flip flops and shorts while freezing winter descends on much of the rest of the northern hemisphere. I'm happy.

I do agree that the "tourist" Florida is tacky, that if you're not on the coast you're toast, and that population is an odd mix of "native" rednecks, retired Republicans from Ohio and twisted castoffs from all corners of the globe who either already are, or soon will be, on the FBI's most wanted list.

Other than that, it's great! :ph34r:

Louisiana #1??? I call bullshit.

I too am very surprised with my home state's ranking.

My recollection of growing up in New Orleans (and I admit that this may tell you more about me than it does about Louisiana) is that nothing happens there that does not involve the consumption of alcohol. Maybe everyone is too sauced to care about the mosquitoes!

Or maybe the Saints were undefeated when the poll was taken!