Favorite Dexter Pianist

Dan Gould

Which one sounded best with Dex?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I guess I really don't have a strong favorite (this is the third time I've opened this thread :rolleyes: ). If pressed for an answer, I suppose I would have to agree with Dan and his comments re Kenny Drew... but I love a number of other pianists who recorded with Dexter as well. As long as Dexter's there, I'm pretty happy (not too fond of Cables or George Duke, though).

Wardell Gray - Dexter Gordon Quintet

Wardell Gray (ts, 1-4) Dexter Gordon (ts, brs) Gerald Wiggins (p, org, cel) Red Callender ( b ) Chuck Thompson (d) Gladys Bentley (vo)

Hollywood, CA, June 9, 1952

1. The Rubaiyat Fontana FJL 907

2. The Rubaiyat (alt. take) -

3. Jungle Jungle Jump -

4. Citizen's Bop -

5. My Kinda Love -

* The Master Swingers! / Wardell Gray, Dexter Gordon (Fontana FJL 907)

This session also was on a Black Lion CD BLCD 760223. This has two more tracks:

I Hear You Knockin' (Maurice Simon on baritone added and Wardell playing in a R&B vein)

Man With A Horn (a feature for baritone saxist Maurice Simon with Dex and Wardell laying out)

Wiggins plays celeste and piano on "Jingle Jangle Jump", piano only on "The Rubaiyat" and "One For Prez" and organ on the others.