Favorite Dexter Pianist

Dan Gould

Which one sounded best with Dex?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here's another with Drew I do like:

02102.gif

http://www.tcb.ch/tcb.cgi?list=style|artis...RDON+BADEN+1972

Kenny Drew; piano; Bo Stief, bass; Ed Thigpen, drums.

Dexter on two tunes, Ben on two, and both together on two more.

ubu

Good call, Ubu, I remember when I was stunned to stumble across that one. At the time, I think Dex and Ben were my favorites, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to find something with the two of them together!

According to my discography, these are the only dates with Dexter plus organ:

Wardell Gray - Dexter Gordon Quintet

Wardell Gray (ts, 1-4) Dexter Gordon (ts, brs) Gerald Wiggins (p, org, cel) Red Callender ( b ) Chuck Thompson (d) Gladys Bentley (vo)

Hollywood, CA, June 9, 1952

1. The Rubaiyat Fontana FJL 907

2. The Rubaiyat (alt. take) -

3. Jungle Jungle Jump -

4. Citizen's Bop -

5. My Kinda Love -

* The Master Swingers! / Wardell Gray, Dexter Gordon (Fontana FJL 907)

Newport Jazz Festival All-Stars

Howard McGhee, Clark Terry (tp) Dexter Gordon, Sonny Stitt (ts) Jimmy Smith (org) Gary Burton (vib) George Duke (p) Al McKibbon ( b ) Art Blakey (d)

`Newport Jazz Festival', Newport, RI, July 6, 1972

Blue 'n' Boogie Cobblestone 9026 2

* Newport in New York, '72 - The Jam Sessions, Vol. 3/4 / various artists (Cobblestone 9026 2)

Dexter Gordon Quartet

Grover Washington Jr. (ss, 1,2) Dexter Gordon (ts) Shirley Scott (org) Eddie Gladden (d)

Philadelphia, PA, March 8, 1982

1. The Jumpin' Blues Elektra/Musician E1 60126

2. For Soul Sister -

3. Besame Mucho -

* American Classic (Elektra/Musician E1 60126)

Edited by EKE BBB

A-HA!

Too late for the Blindfold Test, alas, but there's the Elektra/Musician AMERICAN CLASSIC lp (which I see is not listed on AMG...), which mght have been Dex's last album (?), Dexter with special guests Grover Washington on some cuts, and Shirley Scott on some others. It's very late Dex, and all that implies. The cuts with Scott are actually kinda poignant.

Favorite Dex organist would have to be Shirley Scott.

Is she the ONLY Dex organist?

Don Patterson was the organ player on the infamous 1962 Dexter Gordon-Sonny Stitt session for Blue Note that went wrong. 'Lady Be Good' was somehow salvaged in the BN issue 'The Lost Sessions' which came out several years ago.

I voted for Goerge Cables partly out of personal sentimental attachment. I heard that unit live on a regular basis in the 1970s, and Cables never let me or Dex down.

Sonny Clark, Kenny Drew, and Barry Harris also sounded great with Dex, or should I say that Dex always sounded great with them. ;)

Sonny Clark. A very tough call, though. I picked him mainly because he's the pianist on "Go!" my favorite Dex album. Considered George because he's the only one I saw "live' with Dexter; also Kenny, for the sheer number of fine recordings he made with the Tall one. George and Kenny are both fine with Dex, but had to go with Sonny on the basis of that super album. Obviously a very special hook-up there.

I voted for Sonny, but I would've voted for Bud if he'd been on the list: Our Man In Paris is by far my favorite Dexter, one of my fav LPs ever. I know they had to do familiar material as a concession to Bud and it's basically just a jam, but they were so 'on' that day it hardly matters. It just radiates joy in a way precious few modern jazz recordings do (Sonny Rollins G-Man anyone?). Didn't someone else talk about the joy in Bud's playing in another thread recently?