I am a relative new comer to this forum so I most likely missed any topics dealing with The Jazz Loft when interest was generated by the TIME/CNN broadcast in February of 2000 or the two CD Jazz Magnet set released that same year. I did a Forum search but not not retrieve anything when searching for Jazz Loft.

Sam Stephenson, Duke University, has spent the last dozen plus years researching the W. Eugene Smith photographs and reel to reel tapes located at the Center For Creative Photography at the University of Arizona, Tucson. The magnificent result of that effort is, IMHO, one of the finest documents on jazz produced in the last fifty years. I urge anyone in the forum with an interest in jazz in New York, circa mid 1950s to mid 1960s, jazz photography, fine art photography, politics of the period, etc., to pick up a copy of this new publication from Knopf. I bought my copy from Amazon, paid less than half price, Sam Stephenson, THE JAZZ LOFT PROJECT, 2009, $40.00. The url below will take you to an interview with Stephenson on the Today Show.

http://tinyurl.com/yhzeky5

I also recommend that you drop by the archive at WNYC and listen to the ten programs on the Jazz Loft that aired in November. NPR will be doing a four part series in December as well, airing on Weekend Edition, Sunday. There might be some duplication of material originally broadcast on WNYC.

Jim

i've just received the welcome news that a friend is giving me the book for Xmas!

You are in for a treat, enjoy!

I listened to the NPR segment this morning on Weekend Edition Sunday and it was an exact repeat of the first segment of the WNYC series. Next Sunday NPR will rebroadcast the Hall Overton/Thelonious Monk segment, again probably just a repeat of the WNYC broadcast.

Jim

Finished it tonight--absolutely amazing. An incredible world of late 1950s/early 60s NYC is evoked here that goes beyond the jazz scene, but jazz is nearly always present, in one form or another.

Mark, I've got DREAM STREET on my Christmas list...have you checked that out already? (Stephenson's book about Smith's never-finished Pittsburgh project.)

Edited by ghost of miles

Finished it tonight--absolutely amazing. An incredible world of late 1950s/early 60s NYC is evoked here that goes beyond the jazz scene, but jazz is nearly always present, in one form or another.

Mark, I've got DREAM STREET on my Christmas list...have you checked that out already? (Stephenson's book about Smith's never-finished Pittsburgh project.)

Hi David; yes, I've had it for some time...very cool. I've been a fan of Smiths almost since I've owned a camera.

m