Your 3 Favorite Ellington LPs

paul secor

One of the things I like most about this site is that I get reminded of things I had once known but had forgotten and I learn things I never knew. Based on Chuck's list, I've been re-checking out "All Star Road Band," which I haven't listened to in probably 20 years. I get it -- great spirit, a more populist repertoire (dance setting) compared to the concert recordings, but still a nice cross section of music and the lack of formality pays big dividends in the inspiration of the playing. We talk a lot here about the way the music once functioned within the community and this is a great example of timeless art growing out yet another one-nighter for the people in a 40-year string of them. And, Lord, what incredible vibrations and timbre that saxophone section could create ("Bassment!").

Now, pace Larry, "All American in Jazz" is actually completely new to me. I'll look for it today -- we are blessed in metro Detroit with several kick-ass used stores -- but in the meantime, anyone want to enlighten me about this one?

Edited by Mark Stryker

One of the things I like most about this site is that I get reminded of things I had once known but had forgotten and I learn things I never knew. Based on Chuck's list, I've been re-checking out "All Star Road Band," which I haven't listened to in probably 20 years. I get it -- great spirit, a more populist repertoire (dance setting) compared to the concert recordings, but still a nice cross section of music and the lack of formality pays big dividends in the inspiration of the playing. We talk a lot here about the way the music once functioned within the community and this is a great example of timeless art growing out yet another one-nighter for the people in a 40-year string of them. And, Lord, what incredible vibrations and timbre that saxophone section could create ("Bassment!").

The very best part of that album is that you can hear the band talking amongst themselves. At one point, one of the saxists asks another one if they can borrow a reed. Imagine that!

The Popular Duke Ellington

Too bad the groove is TOTALLY OFF for most of the first track - A Train, IIRC. At least on my copy. Maybe they corrected this in later pressings. The rest of the album holds together pretty well though.

The piano intro is played in 3/4. Nice variation in my book.

The bass and drums are not locked together on my copy of the record, it's like they can't hear each other, for like the first minute or so. Maybe they used a better take for subsequent pressings.

Now, pace Larry, "All American in Jazz" is actually completely new to me. I'll look for it today -- we are blessed in metro Detroit with several kick-ass used stores -- but in the meantime, anyone want to enlighten me about this one?

It's from 1962 -- settings of the songs from the Charles Strouse-Lee Adams musical of the time that is best known for the songs "Once Upon A Time" and "I've Just Seen Her." I now see upon consulting Walter van de Leur's "Something To Live For: The Music of Billy Strayhorn" that eight of the album's ten arrangements were Strayhorn's: "Back To School," "I've Just Seen Her," "Which Way?", "If I Were You," "Once Upon a Time," "Our Children," "I Couldn't Have Done It Alone," and "We Speak the Same Language."

I think I came to the album thanks to an enthusiastic contemporary review of it by LeRoi Jones that appeared in the literary magazine Kulchur (which also published some of John Litweiler's early work).

The very best part of that album is that you can hear the band talking amongst themselves. At one point, one of the saxists asks another one if they can borrow a reed. Imagine that!

I love the part in "All Star Road Band" near the end of "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue", where to my ears the band is playing together with wild abandon, almost coming apart in their enthusiasm but keeping together--very exciting. They are going beyond a rote rendition of the piece and playing all out, as one.

I love the part in "All Star Road Band" near the end of "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue", where to my ears the band is playing together with wild abandon, almost coming apart in their enthusiasm but keeping together--very exciting. They are going beyond a rote rendition of the piece and playing all out, as one.

Well, with everyone talking about this one, and what they're all saying, I thought I'd better get it. But Amazon UK have only got a used vinyl called "All star road band 2". This looks like the wrong one anyway. Is this album available somewhere, folks?

MG

I can't imagine restricting myself to 3. I was just re-listening to a cd of '38 Cotton Club broadcasts and loving it more than I remembered from earlier plays so it seems to depend on my mood. I would list "Ellington Indigoes" though I know not every-one here likes it. (I love it but I may be influenced by the fact that more than 40 years ago it was the first of the 300 EKE records I've gotten .

You can get it from your friends at Collectables.

This is what I found at Amazon.com - are they these?

51flL2w3KIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

TITLE : All Star Road Band Vol. 2 ARTIST : Duke Ellington FORMAT : Long Play Record (a two record set in a gatefold cover) LABEL : Doctor Jazz RECORD # : W2X40012 DATE : 1985 (recorded in 1964) NOTES: This two-LP set finds Duke Ellington's orchestra in surprisingly inspired form playing at a dance in Chicago. With solo highlights provided by trumpeters Cootie Williams and Cat Anderson, trombonists Lawrence Brown and Buster Cooper and the very stable saxophone section (Johnny Hodges, Russell Procope, Jimmy Hamilton, Paul Gonsalves and Harry Carney), the all-star ensemble brings new life to the potentially tired repertoire, introduces some relatively new arrangements and seems to have a good time playing for an enthusiastic audience. Excellent music. (AMG)

31xvRmFV+AL._SL500_AA183_.jpg

OUT OF PRINT. 1983 re-issue, CBS/Doctor Jazz # WGK 39137, made in USA. Originally released as a 2-LP set in 1957. Produced by Bob Thiele.

15 tracks: 1. Take the "A" Train 2. Take the "A" Train (vocal) 3. Such Sweet Thunder 4. Frustration 5. Cop Out 6. Perdido 7 Mood Indigo 8. Bassment 9. Sophisticated Lady 10. Stardust 11. Jeep's Blues 12. All of Me 13. Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue 14. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good15. On the Sunny Side of the Street

I found refs to these on AMG

e489922if16.jpg

This seems to be the same as vol 2, with two bonus tracks. And that's Collectables, as you say, Chuck.

So is this one

e489910eu19.jpg

with this track list

1Mood Indigo Bigard, Ellington, Mills 6:50

2Satin Doll Ellington, Strayhorn 4:07

Composed by:Ellington, Strayhorn

Performed by:Ray Nance, Ellington

3Happy Go Lucky Ellington, Ellington ... 8:10

Composed by:Ellington, Ellington, Strayhorn

4Medley: Things Ain't What They Used to Be/Do

Nothin' Till You Hear From Ellington, Persons 5:25

5Guitar Amour Ellington 5:52

6Summertime Gershwin, Gershwin 2:17

7C-Jam Blues Ellington 4:38

8Silk Lace Ellington 3:47

9I've Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)

Ellington, Webster 3:36

10Isfahan Ellington, Strayhorn ... 3:47

Composed by:Ellington, Strayhorn, T. Cohan

11Timon of Athens Ellington 2:52

12Tutti for Cootie Ellington, Hamilton 6:03

13Stomping at the Savoy Goodman, Razaf,

Sampson, Webb 4:18

14Jeep's Blues Ellington, Hodges 5:05

15Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue Ellington

7:00

16Satin Doll Ellington, Mercer, Strayhorn 1:48

There's also a ref on AMG to a two LP set on Signature, which I assume is the original, but no track list.

I guess I'm looking for the two Collectables CDs, - is that correct? and they aren't on either UK or US Amazon, which I find extraordinary. I can get them from Oldies.com, who charge an arm and two legs for postage to Europe. Is there some other source for this stuff?

MG

I tried Amazon UK again and found a most peculiar thing. When you search for Duke Ellington all star road band, it doesn't find anything. When you just search for all star road band, up they come! The Collectables issues.

Mama just bought me a brand new choo choo toy!

MG

I guess I'm looking for the two Collectables CDs, - is that correct? and they aren't on either UK or US Amazon, which I find extraordinary. I can get them from Oldies.com, who charge an arm and two legs for postage to Europe. Is there some other source for this stuff?

MG

Try here MG. I'm guessing Vol. 1 is the one.

You're up late, Paps!

Thanks.

MG

It's from 1962 -- settings of the songs from the Charles Strouse-Lee Adams musical of the time that is best known for the songs "Once Upon A Time" and "I've Just Seen Her." I now see upon consulting Walter van de Leur's "Something To Live For: The Music of Billy Strayhorn" that eight of the album's ten arrangements were Strayhorn's: "Back To School," "I've Just Seen Her," "Which Way?", "If I Were You," "Once Upon a Time," "Our Children," "I Couldn't Have Done It Alone," and "We Speak the Same Language."

I think I came to the album thanks to an enthusiastic contemporary review of it by LeRoi Jones that appeared in the literary magazine Kulchur (which also published some of John Litweiler's early work).

Thanks for this -- I've read the Van de Leur book but didn't recall the discussion of these arrangements. Unfortunately, I didn't turn up a copy yesterday -- though I did stumble across a copy of Art Blakey's "Golden Boy," which I didn't buy since I already own, but I did mention in another post on that topic over in Jazz In Print. But I digress.

Also, on the All Star Road Band album if anyone is still confused, the two-LP set under discussion came out in the early '80s and was just labeled "All Star Road Band" but didn't included the designation of Vol. 1; the cover was red. When a second set came out shortly thereafter, it was called "All Star Road Band, Vol 2." It was yellow. From the photos posted, it appears that "Vol. 1" was added to some CD versions. Regardless, the set list is the one that opens with two versions of "A Train" followed by "Such Sweet Thunder."

Edited by Mark Stryker

Thanks for this -- I've read the Van de Leur book but didn't recall the discussion of these arrangements. Unforuntately, I didn't turn up a copy yesterday -- though I did stumble across a copy of Art Blakey's "Golden Boy," which I didn't buy since I already own, but I did mention in another post on that topic over in Jazz In Print. But I digress....

Van de Leur doesn't discuss them, just mentions in the text (p. 137) that eight out of ten are Strayhorn's and then spells out which ones in Appendix B. Good luck on finding a copy; I can't imagine, if and when you do, that you'll be disappointed.

Van de Leur doesn't discuss them, just mentions in the text (p. 137) that eight out of ten are Strayhorn's and then spells out which ones in Appendix B. Good luck on finding a copy; I can't imagine, if and when you do, that you'll be disappointed.

Oh shoot. I had it in my hands at a used store in some city--I have no idea where-- and passed since it looked so square. IIRC, the tracks are all real short, which is what turned me off. I should have previewed it.