San Francisco and surroundings, 'must see'.

I'll be in SF from mid of January till early February, taking my son to his first semester at The Art Academy.

I would like to visit the Grand Canyon, other then that I don't have any other 'must see' on my agenda.

What do you suggest to a middle aged couple, fond of music, movies, food, natural landscapes and modern architecture?

Obviuosly I'll be pleased to meet some forum members for a dinner or a concert, or just a coffe.

I would rent a car and drive down the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Cruz. Some of the most breathtaking beautiful scenery on the planet. You can also make stops along the way - there are some great tidal pools south of Carmel that are fun to explore. I'm not sure how far Hearst Castle is from Santa Cruz but if you have the time I would definitely make plans to visit it.

*According to a map I found Hearst Castle is only 92miles/148KM(or about 1 & 1/2 hours driving time) away from Monterey so it's pretty close.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I'll be in SF from mid of January till early February, taking my son to his first semester at The Art Academy.

I would like to visit the Grand Canyon, other then that I don't have any other 'must see' on my agenda.

What do you suggest to a middle aged couple, fond of music, movies, food, natural landscapes and modern architecture?

Obviuosly I'll be pleased to meet some forum members for a dinner or a concert, or just a coffe.

Will you still be in S.F. on Feb. 3? I'll be up there (from Monterey), daytime free. I'm a former resident so it will be easy to advise you and/or meet you. PM me?

Allow two days for a pleasant drive to get to Williams or Flagstaff (for the Grand Canyon). You can go via Las Vegas and the Hoover dam. Flagstaff is a great base as there is so much to see in the vicinity. It will probably be snowy there but the canyon looks great in the snow.

If you can find the time southern Utah has a lot to offer.

Edited by JohnS

In a word: Berkeley. Visiting Telegraph Avenue is essential. It's still got a bit of that 60s/70s (when I grew up there, tripping over tear gas canisters) patina. Screw Amoeba - I mean, go if you want - but roam the neighborhood. Walk the Cal campus. Have a coffee. Visit Chez Panisse or the associated cafe - quite nearby. (I really shouldn't recommend a place where I couldn't/wouldn't eat, but enough people rave that...) If you want edgier food, there's lots of that too.

I'm a big proponent of Oakland too. Like Berkeley, it's an easy BART ride away. But it's a bit harder to recommend specific, concentrated parts of Oakland to visit. Chinatown and Lake Merritt would be a good starter.

Lots of people like Marin and the Wine Country. In my mind, the coastal areas are more enjoyable. Stinson Beach and Bolinas in Marin. Mendocino (if you must) further North. All require a car, but if you got one, easy.

Personally, South has appeal too. Santa Cruz and Monterey are worth considering.

Drop me a PM if you get serious about any of these. I could go on, but won't here.

As long as you know that the Grand Canyon is several hundred miles from SF, you'll be fine. The NY Times had an article about the GC in winter just this past Sunday: Walking Into the Earth’s Heart: The Grand Canyon

If you're driving, you might as well detour through Death Valley. Should be spectacular in the winter.

North of the Bay Area near the California/Oregon border is Crater Lake, which is worth seeing. Also in NE California is Lassen Nat'l Park - featuring a dormant volcano.

No shortage of things to do out here - that's for SURE.

I would rent a car and drive down the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Cruz. Some of the most breathtaking beautiful scenery on the planet. You can also make stops along the way - there are some great tidal pools south of Carmel that are fun to explore. I'm not sure how far Hearst Castle is from Santa Cruz but if you have the time I would definitely make plans to visit it.

*According to a map I found Hearst Castle is only 92miles/148KM(or about 1 & 1/2 hours driving time) away from Monterey so it's pretty close.

Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway (Route 1) to Santa Cruz is a great idea. Keep in mind that Carmel is south of Santa Cruz by quite a distance. And Hearst Castle is WAY down there...Monterey is already two hours South of SF by the coast.

Personally, I would not miss the Pez Museum in Burlingame, just a short 12-mile hop down the peninsula. Probably THE main cultural attraction in the entire Bay Area, if not California.

In SF: Swan's Oyster Bar for lunch.

If you get as far as the Hearst castle keep coming to Santa Barbara. It's worth taking highway 1 south from Monterey. You can get from the Bay area to

Santa Barbara in a half day if you take the boring 101 but the 1 is spectacular. If you do go the the Hearst CAstle make a reservation and plan to spend more than a couple of hours.

City Lights bookstore

Yeah, a visit to The Shrine is a must! Heck, walking around North Beach is worth a day anyway.

This is just the movie buff in me talking, but I'd throw in a visit to the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto as well. You can take the train if you don't want to drive.

Damn, this thread makes me homesick... :(

Edited by Jazzmoose

In SF: Swan's Oyster Bar for lunch.

Swan is excellent and an institution BUT I would avoid it on the weekends. You'll have to wait, standing outside, about an hour to get a seat. If you don't care about the experience and just want good seafood there are plenty of other good places in the city for that. Weekdays are likely a safer bet, or you can try getting there early to beat the crowds on a Saturday.

I can recommend a bunch of restaurants in the area (especially SF itself but also some around the Bay) if you give some more details on what cuisines you are a fan of.

Muir Woods. Just across the Golden Gate Bridge, and it has one of the most beautiful groves of redwood trees on the planet. Some not-too-difficult hiking trails are there, including some harder ones if you have the time and energy. Well worth it.

My wife and I were in San Franciso last year for our honeymoon. Loved the city and that includes the touristy stuff like Fisherman's Wharf and Alcatraz. One of my personal highlights was visiting the Frank Lloyd Wright designed gift shop off of Union Square. It is still open as some sort of gallery and you are welcome to enter and walk around. It seems pretty intact with plenty of built in cabinetry a Guggenheim like ramp and a stunning skylight. Well worth finding!

We also went to Yosemite which I found spectacular as well as Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Great trip.

City Lights bookstore

Yeah, a visit to The Shrine is a must! Heck, walking around North Beach is worth a day anyway.

This is just the movie buff in me talking, but I'd throw in a visit to the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto as well. You can take the train if you don't want to drive.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Just been to the Stanford Theater on University Ave. in Palo Alto a few times again recently, and it's just as good as ever. Reasonable prices, too.

So much to do…

SF – You can walk along the Embarcadero, wharfs and Giants ballpark and hit the farmers market and the Slanted Door to eat. From there you can take a ferry out to Sausalito and walk along the boats and some of best views in the bay area. To eat in Sausalito I recommend Fish and Sushi Ran (imo the best restaurant in all of Marin) .

Also in downtown SF you can go the Modern Art Museum. You can also look up historic walking tours of downtown SF.

Also in SF is Yoshi’s Jazz Club in the Fillmore district.

In the upper Haight Amoeba records is worth a visit.

From Amoeba you walk through Golden Gate Park (pretend its the summer of love) to the new Academy of Sciences and or the Asian Art Museum across from it.

If you like beer the Tornado in the lower Haight is a must visit.

The Marina and Chrissy Field is a fun walk, you can also visit the Exploratorium and the Palace of Fine Arts.

North Beach is always worth a afternoon visit.

If you decide to drive north to Marin and its sunny stop and walk on the Golden Gate bridge, its worth it.

From the there you can take the next exit to Sausilto or keep going to Marin and the Mill Valley – Muir Woods exit. I also recommend Muir Beach down the road a bit by car (five minutes). At the turn off for Muir Beach you can stop off at the Pelican BnB for a nice English ale. Weather and energy permitting from the Muir Beach parking lot take a brief walk up the coastal trail or for something mellower there is green gulch zen center.

I live in Mill Valley and downtown Mill Valley is quite charming even though its been taken over by yuppie pod people, but it’s a nice place to visit. Sadly the landmark Village Music in downtown Mill Valley is no longer but Gary who use to work there took most of the Jazz Vinyl with him to Mill Valley Music, he is good guy who can use the support.

Send me a pm if you wish if you come out towards Marin.

A visit to Berkeley and the campus and Telegraph is also very much worth your time.

Edited by WorldB3

Lots of independent bookstores on Valencia Street in the Mission.

Also Aquarius Records on Valencia.

Lotsa food, drink and entertainment on that street, too. It's kind of like San Francisco's "East Village".

2nd that, the Mission is so colorful. Tons of great drink and food in addition to having some of the best weather in the city. Though it may be closer to Brooklyn based on the the high Hipster w/Beard population in the area.

Lots of independent bookstores on Valencia Street in the Mission.

Also Aquarius Records on Valencia.

Lotsa food, drink and entertainment on that street, too. It's kind of like San Francisco's "East Village".

2nd that, the Mission is so colorful. Tons of great drink and food in addition to having some of the best weather in the city. Though it may be closer to Brooklyn based on the the high Hipster w/Beard population in the area.

Yeah......probably more like B'lyn these days (from what I hear). I still relate to NYC from living there in the 80s.